·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got my old NA front bumper on the Z, but I need to either
a.)swap to the TT fascia and get it repainted
or,
b.)cut out vents for the intercoolers on the NA fascia

So my question is what would you guys guess the cost of repainting the front bumper would be? How much paint do you think is needed? I can get factory paint in pints and quarts.

-Jin

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
anywhere from $50-500 depending on who's doing it, and how good of quality you want.

PS either way your going to need a repaint. I have seen pictures of both bumpers. The TT needs paint and body work,and the NA will need paint once you cut it.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Just get a huge front mount then cut up one of your bumpers. That way if you chose to go back to stock, you can just slap the other bumper back on.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front mounts are terrible on the Z32.

Note: FMIC = Front Mount Intercooler; SMIC = Side Mount Intercoolers

Tom Bell said:
There's been lots of posts about FMIC versus stock I/C's, so a SEARCH on 'FMIC" should be useful. I've posted several times about things to consider.

FMIC's are usually put on Hondas, Mitsu's and aftermarket installations that didn't have them to begin with because the vehicles weren't engineered for them. Don't continue to think of the Z32 in the same frame of reference as the four-bangers - it's a totally different car.

The biggest point to consider is how your engine was designed in the first place: Nissan created two 1.5 liter turbocharged 3 cylinder engines with a common crank and fuel rail. Everything else has been duplicated - for a reason.

Using larger I/C's at the stock locations permits you to get more I/C capability: a set of GReddy, HKS or custom I/C's will give you more volume than you can get in a FMIC due to the limitations of the mounting location on the thickness and total size of the FMIC you can use. You also can adopt different strategies like Aquamist cooling to enhance their efficiency.

If you want to consider a FMIC, you MUST consider that you have two engines to feed - and the FMIC MUST be set up to permit each side to get a balanced flow of air. If it's not, then you risk engine damage - period.

Next, a FMIC requires tons of airflow - and the front of a Z32 isn't gonna give you that much without compromising the cooling system and the oil cooler. You MUST consider re-engineering the cooling system, as 'Red Leader' mentioned. A bigger radiator is not the entire answer: airflow THROUGH the engine bay will be compromised, and the rear two cylinders of the engine are already getting marginal water and air flow to cool them. Engine damage can result....

Finally, while they 'look' cool, FMIC's don't necessarily work well enough to justify the headaches and the work to use them. Larger I/C's in the stock location are really a bolt-in proposition. Some FMIC's won't give you the same effectiveness as stock I/C's with appropriate ductwork!

Hope this helps!

Tom Bell
Ash from AshSpec Performance & Tuning said:
-Jin

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I know a guy who used to race at my race track who could probably do it for a good price.

Come to think of it, another friend of mine at the race track also does body work & painting. But he's up in London, Ontario...

-Jin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts