Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

How strict are your parents, or how strict are you as a parent??

• My parents are relaxed as hell, not strict at all.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Usually pretty relaxed, but strict sometimes.

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Middle of the road, sometimes strict, sometimes laid back.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Strict, get on me for things that they shouldn't.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Strict as hell, barely let me do anything I want to.

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
No comment
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I was just wondering how strict all of your parents are, or how strict you are as a parent. My parents are more chill and relaxed than any other parents I've ever met. They don't care really at all what I do as long as I'm smart about things.

For example, they honestly don't care if I drink or smoke weed as long as a) I'm honest with them, and b) I don't do anything stupid while impaired (driving, etc.) and don't get arrested or anything. When my sister was I think a Senior in HS or Freshmen in college, my dad would talk to her about how he smoked weed on a regular basis when he was younger. And I remember my mom telling me when I was fourteen that when my sister first tried weed she told my parents (not sure if they asked her, or if she just told them) and then I asked how old she was when that happened, and my mom told me that she was my age or a little older. Another example, I go to this family camp, and some kids got caught drinking this past year and it was a pretty big deal. When my mom was alone with me she told me that she was surprised that people got so mad, because she had drank when she was a teenager there, and that she really didn't care if I drink there.

The reason I ask is because my cell phone bill came tonight and it is way over (too many texts). So, I told my dad the other day that it was going to be over and to just let me know how much I owe him. He saw it tonight, but he still hasn't said anything to me about how much I owe, so I'm wondering if he's even going to make me pay him back.

And yes, I am aware that my family is not by any means normal. But I really like it, I know that I have a different relationship with my parents than basically any other teenager does. Myself and my sister can be and are both honest with my parents, and if we are, they are fine with basically anything that we do.

Before you jump to the conclusion that my parents are terrible and that me and my sister are going to be **** ups and fail at life. My sister graduated HS with a 3.9+ GPA and had a full ride to USC if she had chosen to do so, and is currently attending Med school at Emory. And I'm doing just fine in HS, 3.8+ GPA.

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
my parents USED to (im 19 now, im my own man and they recognize that) search my room if they had evidence i was smoking, and would pretty much punish me by throwing anything they found in the trash and giving me a talk. theyre big on trust, and that's why it made me feel bad, we were raised to be very honest, and partying was the only thing i ever lied about to them. i didnt like it, but im a free spirit and i believe people should be allowed to make choices like this as long as they know what they are doing and are mature enough to handle it

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
mine are stricter then that. No drugs or alcohol for me. Course the one time i had a curfue i totally blew that off.

I'd still pay the bill. Might make him respect you more. which is always nice.

·
No comment
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bobide said:
mine are stricter then that. No drugs or alcohol for me. Course the one time i had a curfue i totally blew that off.

I'd still pay the bill. Might make him respect you more. which is always nice.
I don't know what the bill is. I'll pay whatever he asks me to pay. I've told him to let me know what I owe him probably 10 times in the last couple days.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
my parents are kinda laid back with me because i do pretty well in school and never get into any trouble, but sometimes they can be a pain

·
chicks dig scars baby!
2,477 Posts
my mom is real strict wen it comes to illegal things..(drinking).

my dad understands that, "its highschool" he did it. he knows im gonna do it and he doesnt care as long as i dont drive or drive with someone who is. and if he asks me if i drank, and i honest, he doesnt really care. he said i may be in a little trouble, but nothin big.

and they are both REAL strict on grades, he siad if they slip ONE MORE PERCENT no car. cuz theyve been steadily dropping i guess, which is kinda true but they are all A's and B's so yea o well i can live with that. the only other thing their real strict on is like knowing where im at. they used to go up to people houses wen there was a party to make sure parents were there but the last 3 ive been too theyve just dropped me off and left (id drive there but my dad doesnt like me drivin at night for watever reason). soooo mine arent TOO bad at times, but i guess their a little bit stricter than some others

EDIT: i got my phone bill today too, i used way too many txt messages...he doesnt want any at all on the bill lol, and i used freakin 800 minutes somehow. i honestly dont think i used that many but whatever i guess i did. he just told me it better not ever happen again or id be in big trouble (i.e. no phone)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Spudchucker said:
my parents USED to (im 19 now, im my own man and they recognize that) search my room if they had evidence i was smoking, and would pretty much punish me by throwing anything they found in the trash and giving me a talk. theyre big on trust, and that's why it made me feel bad, we were raised to be very honest, and partying was the only thing i ever lied about to them. i didnt like it, but im a free spirit and i believe people should be allowed to make choices like this as long as they know what they are doing and are mature enough to handle it
amen to that... now i just wish i was 19 so i dont have to put tape over the alarm sensor so i can sneak out.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
my dad honestly doesn't give a **** about anything i do.. its not that hedoesnt give a **** actually, its just that he doesnt mind. he knows im 16, he knows what my older brother did when he was 16 so he doesnt care... i told him i smoked weed, he said i was ALLOWED to, even told me he did until a little bit before i was born.
he said if i want to go out and get trashed, i can, but just dont drive. he said if im drunk and i need to drive home to just call him and he'll ask no questions.

i also never get punished, and i guess thats a good thing anyway, because i dont do anything stupid really that my parents would need to punish me. but all in all, theyre not strict and i guess im just very fortunate.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Well my dad lives in Detroit now so he's never around to give me ****.

He's usually pretty laid back though.. my mom on the other hand is the biggest pain in the ass...

·
Registered
694 Posts
My parents are usually pretty chill about things.

A friends of mine's parents are sooooo laid back, we had girls at his house at like 3 in the morning and they came in and said they had to leave in an hour...

true story

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
My parent's never have to tell me about anything. They never say "be careful" or anything like that. They never punish me for thing's i do wrong. Why?

They know im smart enough to not do stupid stuff. If i want to go to a party, they let me. They trust me , and that's a good thing.

·
I Vore You
13,323 Posts
My mom is cool about me going out. We only have a few rules in my house.

Don't bring chicks home
Don't drink
Don't smoke
Don't be loud after she's in bed

Not hard to do. I just get drunk and get my swerve on when I'm out.

·
Registered
986 Posts
since my freshmen year in HS my parents have had one rule... be honest no matter what. if i'm going out and drinking i will tell them and i'll let them know i wont be home till the next day. now since i'm almost 21 things have changed and since i live 3 hours away. they trust me for the most part and its nice to know that if i need help and am honest with them they will back me up.

they can still be *****es sometimes... :dodgy:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I get in trouble for my brother trashing my room, when he's not even supposed to be in here (their rule, I like it but it isnt enforced). And then I have to clean it up. I basically have to go to bed at 9 pm, and i'm in 10th grade. Regardless of what my grades in school are, if my teachers start telling my parents I'm not doing my homework, i get grounded 1 day for each thing I haven't done. I could have a 95, and still get grounded (it's happened before). I'm almost always not allowed to go anywhere/see friends outside of school more than once a week. It could be worse, yes, but overall i'd say I have it pretty rough. At least they don't beat me. And even that's only because i'm such a good liar ;0 I am seriously convinced that if i described an average friday night to them, they would literally strangle me to death.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Barber said:
My mom is cool about me going out. We only have a few rules in my house.

Don't bring chicks home
Don't drink
Don't smoke
Don't be loud after she's in bed

Not hard to do. I just get drunk and get my swerve on when I'm out.
Same. My parents are pretty good, so long as i have good grades. Big things are being honest, and keeping my grades up, other than that im fine. They aren't big on paintball, but thats one of the things that I basically convinced them that its my choice, and my money, not their problem.

They like to know where I am though, somehow they can track my cell phone.... :dodgy:

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
As a parent I reserve the right to search your room, make you pee in a cup, and restrict your activities.

Does that make me strict? Depends on your definition. If you are getting decent grades, are respectfull to others, are responsible -- then you more then likely will not get the 3rd degree.

But if you sneak out of the house, grades start to slip, and start being a punk, then damn straight I will get in your face.

Thats not strict, that is responsible.

I make no judgements as to how any of your parents operate, that is for them to decide how strict versus lenient they intend to be.

I was raised strict, and I will continue to be strict. You don't teach your kids moral wrongs and rights by serving jello shots at your son's Halo party...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts