Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with "AAAAGRHGH!!! My hands!" I've been wrenching the hell out of the tank adapter trying to remove it. I've got to install an expansion chamber, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they crammed the threads full of loctite. How do I take this sucker off? Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to go wipe the blood off my keyboard now...

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
Use a lighter to heat up the ASA. This will cause the loctite to break down.

I would not recomend any more then the lighter cause a propane torch is too much heat and will damage the powder coat.

BTW: Nail polish remover will help clean that blood up.

·
Registered
319 Posts
loctite is something that takes an "impact" to break, so try using a wrench, and tapping it a few times, this should loosen it well enough

when you install the brass fitting that allows you to install the exp chamber, make sure you use loctite

the blue stuff is best, not quite as hard as the red, and spreads better

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys, I figured as much but it's always great to get a second opinion. Now, when you say the brass fitting, I get worried, do you mean the vertical adapter? Also, can I use teflon tape instead on all this? I'm a bit nervous because this is the first time I've ever cracked my gun open.

Okay, so should I use a lighter? or should I tap it? Both?

·
3D Airsmith
1,689 Posts
Thanks a lot guys, I figured as much but it's always great to get a second opinion. Now, when you say the brass fitting, I get worried, do you mean the vertical adapter? Also, can I use teflon tape instead on all this? I'm a bit nervous because this is the first time I've ever cracked my gun open.

Okay, so should I use a lighter? or should I tap it? Both?
The fitting i think he is refering to is the "Vertical Air source adator" this connects the chamber to the valve. The main reason you want to be careful is brass is a soft metal and it is very easy to cross thread it when hooking it up the the valve wich is made of steel a much harder metal.

As for the order,
First try to tap it, and if that does not work heat up the ASA and try again.

The main reason the lighter works is the heating causes the ASA to expand faster then the fitting on the hose. This is slight change in size but it helps and causes the loctite to breakdown.

Now when reconecting every thing Teflon tape will work fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. Today in physics I realized I could apply it when I realized exactly what you said. The coefficient of thermal expansion is different for the two metals. Hooray for actually using school!

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
One thing you want to use as a general rule of thumb is that if you have to wrench on it, your probbly doing something wrong.

I also installed an expantion chamber on my 98, but I was really wrenching on it and stripped some threads. It took a little tap job and a new, bigger bolt, but i learned my lesson.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done! It actually worked on the first try. I can't believe it didn't explode or leak like mad, because I've NEVER opened this gun up! Also, is the rear buffer o-ring supposed to be attached to anything? Because mine just kind of jostles about in the chamber.

Pics:

I never really took into consideration the size of my gun once it was finished. When I took it out to test fire it though, it felt perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts