Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

How to walk the 07 Xtra properly?

5K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  pbn00b 
#1 ·
Hey all,

1) Just got my first paintball gun, an 07 Spyder Xtra with stock everything but a metal feedneck. Is there a way to walk it? When I try it (without Co2) it feels stiff and harder to walk it.

2) Can anybody give me a link to a tutorial of how to clean the Spyder Xtra properly?

3) I am planning on keeping this gun for a while, do you recommend switching the trigger?

4) Which trigger would you recommend?

5) How do you open the Spyder Xtra 07?

G
#2 ·
Ah the xtra. Get the manual here http://www.spyder.tv/section/support/manuals/spyder_xtra_07.pdf, if it's not with your marker already. Make sure you read it top to bottom.

Youtube used to have this user invictus something that had the most informative videos on spyder care, but i tried searching for his videos and the account's gone. But i'm sure techpb has something or another on spyders and stbb markers.

The xtra is mechanical, you need to remember this before trying to walk the trigger too hard, since it doesnt have eyes it'll chop paint like crazy if you start shooting too fast.

I've never minded the trigger, but if you want to switch it i'm sure actionvillage can accommodate your needs, but know that trigger is a personal preference.

Taking it apart is easy. There's the "quick strip pin" at the back of the marker, if you remove the pin the back will come off. Careful though, make sure you note the order that stuff came out in so that you put it back in the same way. If you forget, the manual will tell you the order. But that's the back. Should you ever need to change the cupseal or the valve spring you'll need to take a screw off the front, the manual tells you which.

Again, youtube is your friend, there's plenty of videos of people gutting spyders and other stbb markers. They're all alike, so don't hesitate watching them just because it's a different marker than yours.

#3 ·
Thanks! It had all the answers, but I didn't get the manual. I got the Spyder Xtra with a new feedneck and I got a JT Flex 8, 100 paintballs, spyder grav hopper and VL 140 ball pod all for $200 off my friend :D
Another question, is HPA cheaper to fill than Co2, if so, by how much? Is it worth paying $100+ to get it even though I am a beginner? I was thinking maybe down the line somewhere I would get it, for now i was thinking of getting a Brass Eagle 20 oz Co2 tank, how much should fills cost? Maybe at Canadian Tire?

G
#5 ·
There's this never ending debate about CO2 and air. General consensus is that air is much better than CO2 in many areas, especially consistency and so on. CO2 has many issues (freezing markers, liquid CO2 damaging internals and so on) but it is normally cheaper than air and a 20oz CO2 bottle can get as many shots as a 68/4500 air tank, and the 20oz co2 bottle will be smaller than that air tank. It's up to you, but know that if you're going to get seriously into the sport you'll want a better marker, and thus you will likely need air with that better marker so why not get air right at the get go? Filling 20oz CO2 shouldn't be more than $5-8CAD, but i don't know how much canadian tire charges right now.

I think I might have the 05 spyder xtra? It looks like this
http://www.paintballguns.net/images/spyder/xtra.jpg
In that case, here http://www.spyder.tv/section/support/manuals/spyder_xtra_05.pdf

Same basic layout, same parts, the body is what changes.

I've been considering making stbb maintenance videos, since i own 2 of them, to replace those that are no longer on youtube. Maybe this week if work is slow enough.

#6 ·
Cool, I like the video idea! And thanks! Yeah, I know I will need a new marker, but I am waiting till my birthday (august) so I can actually have some experience and all, so that my parents will know that I will stay into paintballing, and i could probably get them to buy me a Bravo One Assault for my birthday!

G
#8 ·
The VS3 and the xtra operate on the same principle, but the VS3 has a lot more goodies. For starters it's electronic, meaning the sear is tripped by a solenoid and not by mechanical pressure on the trigger. Then the VS3 has that 3g balanced valve, a regulator, that rotten rocking trigger frame which a lot of fields will not allow... tons more things to give maintenance to if you look at it.

Personally I'd stick with the xtra for now and then get a better (more expensive) higher end marker when the right time comes around. The xtra is a great marker to learn the basics. I'd get myself a nice loader, a nice mask and that air tank and save up for the good marker that may or may not come in august.

#9 ·
I have a pretty good mask... i think... I have a JT Flex 8, and i'll get the air tank in 2 months or so, if I can. And for my birthday I have a good feeling about getting a new marker, because I love electronics so I usually ask for things like monitors, speakers, tvs and stuff like that, so my parents will be relieved if I ask for a paintball gun lol. Which gun should I get though? They won't spend a whole lot on it for sure, 300 max maybe,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.