Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
don't drop the soap
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm already well into my junior at college and I really don't think my major (C.S.) is what I want to do. Out of all my classes, the cs classes are the ones I suck at and despise, and make me hate life tonight. For instance, tonight I have been working on a program due wed. and I can't do any **** whatsoever on it, I have no clue what is going on or what I am supposed to do, and I will not advance any further on it that I am right now.

I really want to switch out, but the problem is I can't afford to go to school any more than one more year, so I'm ****ed into staying in this major, but I know I'm going to fail this class this year, I already ****ed up on the midterm and last assignment.

Whatever though, this is stupid I don't even know why I write this ****. College is lame I should've gone to a better one. Maybe I could transfer to another college that actually has a better C.S. program where they explain **** to you. Problem is most my credits won't transfer considering all my gen ed is religious.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
p8ntballweird said:
sucks man.
I'd just try to do your best to change, or do another year. maybe get a part time job or something. You don't want to get stuck in a career you hate for all your life.
I don't think it was about the field that he had a problem with, it was the way that the school taught it. Talk to your counselor

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
if you think you were ever the first person in that boat, you're terrible wrong..

dude, my older brother is in his 5th year of college, and still isn't close to done.. infact he's so far behind he just decided last week he's postponing school to go travel around europe. its pretty cool, i mean he knows what he wants to do now, but it takes time.

no amount of money can ever compensate a worthless education. just change your major, stack up on classes, take out loans, do whatever you need to do. worst comes to worst, youll work in some office building for a year or two to pay off loans, and then you can do whatever you want to do. my brother is planning to pay off college (my parents stopped paying after 4 years) once he gets back from europe by working at some random job, and then going to grad. school to get a masters or something in philosophy so he can teach it at a college level. his first year was community college, 2nd was university of buffalo and for 3 years studied pre-law and then switched to philosophy, flunked out, now hes in college pursuing his major and still has lots of plans.

i would talk to an advisor or something at your school, mabye they can sort it out

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
damn i know how you feel. im in my first semester/year of college... and am totally ****ing up hardcore... im learning a lot about myself, but im basically to the point where i need to pick it up and try not to fail 3/4 of my classes. (my major is C.S as well) that **** is hard, requires a lot of math and **** which, i suck at.

Gabriot have u thought of talking to ur counselors about a possible major switch? a lot of people do it.. it isnt uncommon at all. If i were you, and i decided to switch my major, just take a semester or year off and work. Save up your money, so you can afford to go back and get your **** done right.

·
don't drop the soap
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been thinking pretty hard about it. The problem is I don't have one major in particular that stands out to me. I would love to do music, I've taken a few piano and guitar classes and loved them, and intro to music theory. The problem is I don't really see any solid job opportunities in the field that interest me, I mean I would love to compose music, but It's hard for me to support myself on that if I don't make it.

The same thing goes for being an author, I would love doing that, but It would all depend on whether or not I was succesful at it. I don't really see myself as being a teacher, I mean I'll do it as a last resort but I don't want to be one. I'd like to be a coach for XC and track but not a teacher.

The only other thing I really see is physics, because I'm like the best in my class at that, but I'm not sure if I would like many of the jobs associated with it.

Actually I was talking to my advisor about a degree in computational physics, but the problem there is I would have to take at least 5 years and my last year would have to be done at the University of Washington. I don't know what to do right now, but whatever I guess, I know what you guys are all saying about not getting stuck in something that sucks ass for the rest of your life. I'll have to talk about getting some loans from my parents, because I've already got too many on my name :(

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Gabriot said:
I've been thinking pretty hard about it. The problem is I don't have one major in particular that stands out to me. I would love to do music, I've taken a few piano and guitar classes and loved them, and intro to music theory. The problem is I don't really see any solid job opportunities in the field that interest me, I mean I would love to compose music, but It's hard for me to support myself on that if I don't make it.

The same thing goes for being an author, I would love doing that, but It would all depend on whether or not I was succesful at it. I don't really see myself as being a teacher, I mean I'll do it as a last resort but I don't want to be one. I'd like to be a coach for XC and track but not a teacher.

The only other thing I really see is physics, because I'm like the best in my class at that, but I'm not sure if I would like many of the jobs associated with it.

Actually I was talking to my advisor about a degree in computational physics, but the problem there is I would have to take at least 5 years and my last year would have to be done at the University of Washington. I don't know what to do right now, but whatever I guess, I know what you guys are all saying about not getting stuck in something that sucks ass for the rest of your life. I'll have to talk about getting some loans from my parents, because I've already got too many on my name :(
sounds like you need a semester off to think about what you want to do and make some money. if i was in your situation thats probably what id do. Its a lot better to make sure you have a plan with what you want to do rather than changing and finding out 2 years down the road that you wish you would have made a different decision.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
this is actually very common, some poeple switch 2-3 times before they actually graduate(according to my old guidance counselor).

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Gabriot said:
i'd try to get in contact with a teacher or someone in that field and see if it's what you want to do. That would be a very high paying field and could make your loans disappear quickly.

Remember that it's better having a job you love then a job you can barely stand.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Im about to switch from a biology major to a business major. To bad I have to go back and take the basic bio lol.

One piece of advice for anyone planning on going to college. Dont take the highest classes possible the first year. I went straight from high school into Algebra 113. Skipping 100, 101, 110, 111, 112. And I hate it. I also started out with Bio 111. Which, I hate also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts