Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just liberated this from another forum.
In the words of Dr. Wierd...Gentlemen, BEHOLD! (you'll either get that one or you won't. Most won't.)

Behold paintball's first factory electronic pump! Just don't shoot it flammible materials, or so the manual says. Something about dangerous sparks...

Demo video: http://www.tippmann.com/c3_video_page/c3_1min.html
Manual with parts list and FAQ: http://www.tippmann.com/pdfs/products/C3/c3manual.pdf
Tippmann's C3 webpge: http://www.tippmann.com/product_guide/markerDetails.aspx?categoryid=4

Some images-
http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/9216/c3diagram12rg.th.jpg
http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/2007/c3composite0ki.th.jpg

I'm just starting to go through it myself.

To offer my own thoughts on this- nice concept, but I'm not sure about the gun itself. Word is that the pump stroke is long and heavy (it cycles the exhaust and valves after all), and most players don't like that sort of thing. Also I gotta wonder about the AAA battery...how long will it hold up? You might get 50k shots from a tank, but how often you you change the battery.

That aside, this could be the begining of something big. Following the shots per volume, you would get over 1000shots from a 12-gram sized propane tank. We all know how small those are.

How about a semi-auto that will get hundreds of shots from a 12-gram throwaway propane tank mounted inside the hand grip or front grip? No more tanks? If nothing else it would be a great market for scenario and milsim players...no more hiding tanks inside anything or remotes.

If the technology is worthy stuff and gains being accepted it will be interesting to watch. I don't have the $200 to throw down for one of these to play with and gain more insight, but I hope to at least see and handle on to see if it holds up to what it claims.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
the vid doesnt' work for me:(

wow..it's likea compact tippy. if i was getting into paintball I'd look into this. it's about time they decided ot make a compact gun :) but propane? man i cna see a lot of kids getting in trouble with propane shooting out of thier markers (watch this...BOOM) think they'll make a semi-auto version?

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I will buy it. IMO this could very well be the future of paintball, like when the switch was made from pump to semi. Eliminating large hefty tanks would be a huge change.

I was gonna post this but you beat me to it...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Another tank...the tank is like, 5 or 6 bucks at Wal*Mart.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the AAA drove some sort of spark device.

Semi auto would likely be the next step, along with smaller, purpose made tanks. Really who needs a watermellon sized tank that gives 50kshots when you can get a thousand from a 12gram?

My belief right now is that with semi-auto the heat would build up faster than it could be eliminated. Also you need to cycle the chamber with exhaust and intake charges, so some sort of mechanism would have to be worked out. I expect to see pump, more pump designs with a less huge and easy stroke, then some form of a slow semiauto, then so on.

Above all else this has to stay under the 'firearm' classification. I imgine you can only push so far.

I thought of another thing, what's to stop someone who doesn't know better from strapping a MAPP or Acetlyne tank on there? They sell these in blow-torch sized tanks. I didn't see a warning in the instructions, but then again I didn't read very in depth.

Aside from velocity increases (possible?), a 'hotter' gas might end up breaking the gun after enough use.

As for shooting propane and igniting your gun, self, or something else, it shouldn't be a problem IF it isn't leaking and is taken care of. It's not propane spewing out the barrel during a shot, its the expanding gas front. If all goes well and I understand everything, that is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks like MSRP is $229. They are currently taking orders even though the gun is currently backordered, but they will start shipping the backordered guns next week.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about they just make a barrel that isn't "composite"...since we all read that as 'plastic'. I know they say it was to save wieght, but face it barrel's are not heavy and the gun already wieghs over 3 pounds without tank. Why not go for it instead of making a special threaded barrel that isn't at least aluminum.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The manual said that no propane leaves the marker during shooting, so you could not use it as a flamethrower while dryfiring. As a plus, it would be really easy to tell if you were leaking, just smell for propane, lol.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Alpha said:
ITs electric in the respect that it uses a grill lighter sort of ignition device.
you're definately thinkign what i was thinking when i saw it was run on propane :)

and another thing. if more markers coem out like this and your'e ripping at 20+ bps, wouldn't all the propane make you a little bit dizzy and sick?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts