Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
PbF Supporter
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I finally got to this page after 20 minutes...

So as some of you may know I bought a 1994 GMC Jimmy to drive in the winter time and garage my mustang.

Anyway, I decided to take it to class today and when I was coming home making a left out of the school parking lot I slammed on it (Bad habits die hard) to pull out in front of a semi truck and the tires spun like mad because there was a little moisture on the pavement.

So when I got them to stop spinning I was in the middle of the road going like 10, so I floored it so I didn’t get creamed by a semi going 60 mph, and when I got to about 40 my truck made this really weird sound, then all of a sudden it was REALLY loud when I hit the gas. Then when I would slow down I could hear like a metal rattling.

It turns out some how I made the muffler FALL OFF the actual exhaust pipe and now the muffler back is just hanging there.

Pics:

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
damn thats a crappy as weld
just go to the parts store pick you up some exahust clamps and pipe and about 30 min and 15 bucks you will be good to go

i was going to do a 3/3 drop on my blazer this weekend but rita has put it on hold

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
yeah it doesnt look like it was welded b4...........just have some one weld up the exhaust for ya

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
meh take it in, have them weld it. or make friends with somebody who has a welder...you really dont' need teh muffler though. think of all the horsepower youre' gettign now cuz of the low restriction :naughty

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
It looks like the guy that put the muffler on just cut the old one off with a torch and used the clamp to hold the new one on. That was a pretty common thing to do if you don't know how to weld, or if the muffler is a different metal from the pipes. (Say an aluminum muffler)

A little grinding and a new clamp could have that fixed in about a 15 minutes. Or you could weld it and do a better job. Personally, I would change the whole exaust now to a full aftermarket setup. If you fix it correctly now you wont have to fix it again later. thumup:

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
wow....i knew it was coming. You cant have a car thread about a gmc jimmy without someone making an inane sexual reference to make us think hes clever and amazing. Wow, be pround of yourself, now you can commence giggling like a moron....*insert beavis and butthead laughs here*

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
doomsday said:
It looks like the guy that put the muffler on just cut the old one off with a torch and used the clamp to hold the new one on. That was a pretty common thing to do if you don't know how to weld, or if the muffler is a different metal from the pipes. (Say an aluminum muffler)

A little grinding and a new clamp could have that fixed in about a 15 minutes. Or you could weld it and do a better job. Personally, I would change the whole exaust now to a full aftermarket setup. If you fix it correctly now you wont have to fix it again later. thumup:
QFT. Looks like the muffler is alum and the pipes are prolly steel, so thats prolly why they didnt weld it.

·
PbF Supporter
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah the stock muffler was replaced with that one. Me and my dad where looking at it and it seams the old stock pipe broke inside the muffler and they couldn’t get it out. So they just tried to rig it up with espestis (sp) tape and that clamp. No wonder it fell off huh?

We are just going to get a sleeve and clamp it around both the muffler and the pipe; it's the cheapest and easiest way to do it. And since it's just a winter driver I don't feel like dropping a whole new exhaust into it. I rather spend the extra money on my stang.

·
0ld Sk00l
3,773 Posts
that looks like the underside of my truck... lol

do what i'm gonna do...

Throw a cat back or some straight pipes on their...

And speaking of rust under a car, i was driving down 9A and saw a blazer about my year, the driveshaft snapped in the middle of the road... the thing rusted through. lol... so watch ur U-joints and ****.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts