Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he gave me a ticket a few weeks ago... 56 bucks. so he stops me tonight for doing 40 in a 20. or so he says. my radar detector never went off. anyways. he comes with the ticket and says sign here. i told him i want to see the radar gun, and my speed. he tells me no, so i say he has to or he can't give me the ticket. he tells me sign the ticket or i'm going or i'm going to jail. so i had to sign, but i'm goign to court to fight it. its bull****. that bastard is lying.

if anyone knows the law... i was under the impression if i ask he has to show me, but this cop has been known to do whatever the heck he wants. so let me know someone please.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
yep too bad. i raced down a hill in one of those power wheel electric 5 year old kid cars and we hit someones bush and the cop saw. and he got mad but then i said i'd sue the owners of the bush for planting a bush in a dangerous area and told him my parents were lawyers. then he left angry but not before my freind gave him directions to krispy kreme.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats a great story, tell it again around xmas when the season's caring... this ain't a story thread, i need some actual answers people. sorry to be an ass and all.... if anyone knows, or can find out, please tell me.

·
Banned
2,855 Posts
Tppy same thing happened, dont take him to court, you won't have a chance, it will be a civilians word against a cop.

This one cop gave me a ticket for making an illegal turn, when it was legal, I took him to court, enevr had a chance.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well i got witnesses man. there was 2 people in the car with me. plus, this cops word is kinda down the ****ter, everyone knows he fulla crap.

edit : the only reason i would go to court is if he has to show me the radar gun if i ask. i've heard that, but i'm not for sure.

·
Registered
434 Posts
why the heck would he have to show you his radar gun?
Some states have laws requiring the officer to show you his laser/radar gun upon request. They do this because an officer doesn't really have to get you with a speed detector to give you a ticket. They could say you were going 60 in a 35 even if you were going 35. It all comes down to zero police accountability, its your word against theirs and the judge will always side with the cop.

I would reccomend you go to trial and claim no contest when they ask you what you plea. DO NOT use the "my radar detector did not go off" for defense, they'll have it thrown out on a technicality that your radar detector is not reliable enough to be used as evidence, and he may have not even hit you with radar/laser.

What does the detection type on the ticket say? There should be a check-box for laser, radar, VASCAR, pace and other. VASCAR is a computer that they use to clock your speed by following you at your speed, blasting past you at 90 MPH or so, and then stopping and the computer times how long it takes you to catch up and calculates your speed. Pace is simply they follow you and check their speedometer. If it reads other, it probably means that the officer is visual-certified, in other words, they are certified by the state to take a visual estimate of your speed and use that as evidence.

If you plea no contest and tell them you know you weren't speeding, you'll get off with only having to pay for court costs (usually $25-40 depending on the court.) The prosecutor probably isn't going to want to take a 10 MPH speeding ticket to trial, so they'll dismiss the charges and you only have to pay the court costs, and since you pleaded no contest, you don't get a minor misdemeanor on your record or points on your license. Also take your two friends who were in the car with you to court and say they're witnesses and will state that you weren't speeding. Although they won't dismiss the ticket, they'll be more likely to drop the charges if you have witnesses with you.

Be careful, however, if they ask you to make a statement or admit that you were speeding "just for the record" outside of the court room, tell them "no" and that you want a lawyer under your fifth amendment rights against self-incrimination and your sixth amendment rights to legal counsel. This is a trick they try to play, if they can get a confession out of you that you were speeding they can use it against you in court, since anything you say can and will be used against you.

When you pay the fine or court costs (however it goes) ask to enter a complaint against the officer who gave you the ticket. Say he was acting unprofessional (as I take it he was from your post, but do not lie because they often carry a microcassette recorder in their pocket during a traffic stop.) It will go into his personnel jacket, and if anyone else enters another complaint against him, he'll be disciplined by the department. If anything, it'll stop him from writing bogus tickets because he'll be afraid someone else will complain against him. If he keeps it up, your complaint will help to get him fired later down the road.

Also, check out www.copwatch.net/forums (I'm a moderator on there, under the same name I am here.) There are several people there who have sucessfully beat the police in court, and they might be able to offer you better legal advice that I can. This is just what I've heard other people say they've had work for them; you should in no way take this as legal counsel.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
this happend to my mom. we were not speeding and we were pulled over. i told my mom to ask to seed the radar speed since it is required in washington. the cop said no. then i pulled out my drivers hand book and pointed that out. he said his radar gun must have been aimed on a nother car and he was sorry for the incovience. always keep that drivers ed book handy.

·
Registered
811 Posts
here in NC if the officer says he/she clocked you with radar they have to show up but they can say that they paced you or that they could visually tell you were speeding and you are screwed. here the court cost is 85+ the fine. so you are coming out cheap. but i would suggest finding a good lawyer and get the ticket dismissed. also here if you are clocked 16 mph over the limit you can go straight to jail and/or loose your license for 1 year. consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Wow, a 56 dollar ticket. You should just pay it and not go through all the hastle of a court date and all this garbage. Besides, you sound like a total idiot. I was doing 40 in a 20mph zone and he pulled me over! Thats BS. Read that to yourself....Your a teenage driver right? We can all be reasonably sure that you were NOT going 20 mph. that is disgustingly slow, even if it is the speed limit.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Traffic stops and speeding tickets are BS. Its a big revenue generator for the local governments, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Traffic saftey is the excuse, revenue generation is the objective.

I'd still say go to court and plea no contest and just pay the court costs and enter a complaint against the officer. At least you can stick that much to them. If people would stand up, the police wouldn't have their unrestricted power.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
You were speeding. So your radar detector didn't go off. They have some guns where they are able to be set to a certain speed over and ONLY triggered when an object moving over that speed goes by. Chances are you were over that speed and yer fuzz buster never got the chance to catch it. OR, it was...off, broken, or a stupid idea? Just pay the thing and DON'T GET CAUGHT next time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
why would he waste his time stopping you if you werent speeding
Because they can. Like I said, they don't actually have to catch you speeding to say you were speeding, and the more cars an officer pulls over in a month, the better he looks on paper.

I wouldn't say "just pay the fine, you were obviously speeding if he gave you ticket." If you know you weren't speeding (such as, you were watching your speedometer before he pulled you over and you were at the speed limit) then I'd fight it in court. The prosecutor isn't going to want to tie the court system up with a petty traffic ticket, so if you plead no contest, you'll end up only having to pay court costs. Plus, there's the off chance that the officer who gave you the ticket won't show up to the hearing, at which point you can move to have the charges dismissed due to lack of evidence. Its not very likely, but its possible.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Like others have said don't say your radar dector didn't go off because here in Illinois it's like a felony to have them but you can only be charged with the felony if you admit to haveing one. Also your radar detector may not be that good like it may be a RADAR ONLY dector and they can use a laser gun on you and you won't know.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
m98_bmx said:
Wow, a 56 dollar ticket. You should just pay it and not go through all the hastle of a court date and all this garbage. Besides, you sound like a total idiot. I was doing 40 in a 20mph zone and he pulled me over! Thats BS. Read that to yourself....Your a teenage driver right? We can all be reasonably sure that you were NOT going 20 mph. that is disgustingly slow, even if it is the speed limit.
no, the ticket i got last night was 69 bucks. the 56 dollar one was from the same officer 2 weeks ago. also, i never said i was going 40 in a 20, thats what he told me. i wasn't going that fast. you just sound like a total idiot for contributing to a thread when you don't really read whats going on.

as for my radar detector, its a cobra, and detects radar and laser, as well as a few other things. i can't remember them right now. but it goes off with this cop. he's the town cop and has KA band radar.

and thanks seal for the advice, appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts