Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get this e-mail the other day from a friend of mine who is a Paramedic over in Afghanistan. It seems as if he is in charge of recruitment for KBR, the private contractor that provides EMS and occupational health services for NATO and other Military bases in the middle east.

He is offering me like 100K for a 1 year contract (before deductions) to work for him over there. I am seriously thinking about doing it... My wife says its no problem for me to go (No, Smitty, you can't "drop by occasionally to make sure she is OK...") and the kids are psyched about me doing somehting like that, and I think it would be one hell of a challenge. The conditions are primitive (tents and cots type thing) but there are still all the services you would find on a regular military base, just no permanent structures... Sorta like MASH... I would even get "combat pay" as the bases take shells every now and then...

I have to contact the "head office" in Houston on Monday and talk to thier HR folks there, but it looks like I could be in-country January ish if I want to.

I could come out of the one year contract debt free, and with my RN as they would also put me through school while I am there...

And they have wireless internet... so I could still be the PBF whore that I am!!!

Just thought I would share...

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
That sounds like a great career oppertunity and life experience. Go for it, and good luck

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
You sound excited about the opportunity, if it's something that thrills you like that you should definitely consider

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I'd do it.

I'd also see if you could get more than a 1 year contract afterward.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Do it.

When there was that big tsunami the other year my mom got a similar offer because she has 25 years of expierence working as an ER nurse. She didn't do ti though because somthing came up.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i'll be the oddball

dont do it

i dont think anyone should go overseas to iraq or afghanistan or anywhere like that, for that long, if they have kids. Its one thing when a single guy goes over there to help our nations armed forces (bubba ftw) but c'mon medic u got kids

ur kids will only grow up once, and u do this you will miss an entire year of their chilhood. I dont think its worth it.

ok i'll shutup now

·
12,110 Posts
Sounds like a good choice.

Please do your kids a favor and assess the risks. How likely is it that you will see combat? The media hasn't touched Afghanistan for a long time, so I have no idea what its like.

I know if I had a wife and kids I would put them before my country. And even if they say its 'OK', I would ask them if it really is OK. Then I'd sit down with them and tell them that there is a chance that I might not come back.

No sense in hiding from the truth (if the place still even has regular combat), and theres absolutely NO harm in settling family business before you go off for a job that may put you in harms way.

I'd do it. But if I were you I'd start training, like now.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts