Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm, I think this is my second thread on cells.

I need a new one. Don't have one right now. I've been looking at T-Mobile for the carrier.

Phones such as the Trace and the T809 slider. either one of them is what I really want. Maybe somebody has one?

The Trace is $100 with a 2-year plan, I was looking at it today, really nice. I'd rather want the T809 though, I just really want a slider. Seems very nice, got some more features. Online, I saw it selling for $70 with a plan but they took it down the next day, fags. Now I've seen it for like $110 online, and I can just goto a T-Mobile store and setup an account right? At the T-Mobile store I went to, they said they weren't going to make the T809 anymore, but they're around some places.

As for a plan, I was going to get the Basic one for $30 a month. 300 minutes, free weekends, and free roaming and nationwide. It's good enough for me.

What do you guys think?

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Depending on your situation you may run out of minutes fast. 300 minutes really isnt alot, my brother used that up in one night over the summer. But his plan is something like 300 minutes, free nights( starting @ 9pm) and free weekends. He pays about $40 a month. Maybe try to get a plan similar to that, because the free nights is when he uses his cell the most since hes in college and can call home using the free minutes.

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, I've had a cell before. 300 should be fine, but I'd like it if they also included the free nights as well. The weekend is definitely the time when I'd be using it the most, so it should work out fine for $30 a month. And I never text either.

I thought about Pay-As-You-Go woth Boost, but they're service sucks (I had a Nextel i860) and I'd be using the walkie-talkie everyday, and it's a dollar a day for that so there's a guaranteed $25 a month atleast. Plus normal minutes I'd need so it;d be more cash monthly in the end. And there's no hassle with the monthly plan of T-Mobile.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I have the T809 but I have Cingular for service.

It's a nice phone.. I paid $218 shipped for it and it was unlocked.

·
^_^
688 Posts
I'm partial to Verizon Wireless probably because I sell them :/

I've used pretty much every service however, so I guess I'll give some pros and cons.

Verizon, best overall reception, varies from area to area obviously but usually #1, worst plans, decent customer service, decent company policies. As for the phones themselves, since they are based on CDMA tech they are usually not the latest as most of the world uses GSM, however Verizon has the money and clout to get some exclusives, and also can generally get popular models designed for there network.

Sprint, decent to good reception, poor customer service (since Nextel merge), CDMA tech a + or - depending on what you do. like Verizon both use EVDO for 3rd generation data. I think sprints 3G stuff that you can get on there phone is better than Verizons but I don't feel a particular need to use either. Coverage for EVDO is superior to any other networks 3G however. Verizon and Sprints coverage area is very similar in that regard. Phones... you mostly get Sanyo or Samsung, if you like either you'll probably like sprint.

Nextel, the dark side of Sprint, unless you are in love with PTT its not worth it. Miserable coverage area, high rates, outdated phones, and a overloaded network (thanks mostly to Boost) mean that Nextel is probably the worst possible choice.

T-Mobile, second worst coverage, second worst data services, excellent customer service, ok phone selection, and excellent rates. I want to like T-Mobile, but there coverage and data in my market is only ok, and I live in a fairly metropolitan area, I can only imagine how bad it can be in the sticks. However coverage can only get better, and if you get decent coverage in your area and don't travel alot its a good economical choice.

Cingular...I'm torn about Cingular, they have a pretty good network, awesome data if you live in a HSPDA area though its not as widespread as other carriers 3rd Gen (HSPDA can be argued is 4th gen however...). Decent phone selection, I'm not a big fan, but you can use alot of unlocked GSM phones if you don't mind the fact they are usually data crippled. weaknesses is probably customer service. There rates are average.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Oscarine said:
I'm partial to Verizon Wireless probably because I sell them :/

I've used pretty much every service however, so I guess I'll give some pros and cons.

Verizon, best overall reception, varies from area to area obviously but usually #1, worst plans, decent customer service, decent company policies. As for the phones themselves, since they are based on CDMA tech they are usually not the latest as most of the world uses GSM, however Verizon has the money and clout to get some exclusives, and also can generally get popular models designed for there network.

Sprint, decent to good reception, poor customer service (since Nextel merge), CDMA tech a + or - depending on what you do. like Verizon both use EVDO for 3rd generation data. I think sprints 3G stuff that you can get on there phone is better than Verizons but I don't feel a particular need to use either. Coverage for EVDO is superior to any other networks 3G however. Verizon and Sprints coverage area is very similar in that regard. Phones... you mostly get Sanyo or Samsung, if you like either you'll probably like sprint.

Nextel, the dark side of Sprint, unless you are in love with PTT its not worth it. Miserable coverage area, high rates, outdated phones, and a overloaded network (thanks mostly to Boost) mean that Nextel is probably the worst possible choice.

T-Mobile, second worst coverage, second worst data services, excellent customer service, ok phone selection, and excellent rates. I want to like T-Mobile, but there coverage and data in my market is only ok, and I live in a fairly metropolitan area, I can only imagine how bad it can be in the sticks. However coverage can only get better, and if you get decent coverage in your area and don't travel alot its a good economical choice.

Cingular...I'm torn about Cingular, they have a pretty good network, awesome data if you live in a HSPDA area though its not as widespread as other carriers 3rd Gen (HSPDA can be argued is 4th gen however...). Decent phone selection, I'm not a big fan, but you can use alot of unlocked GSM phones if you don't mind the fact they are usually data crippled. weaknesses is probably customer service. There rates are average.
Christianity sucks!

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm going to be sticking with T-Mobile. The plan is perfect for me, and really none of my friends text. And the phones are better to me. The coverage on their map seems to be ok for the general area where I'll mostly be.

Also, what about the D807 or any other one of the nice Samsung Sliders for T-Mobile? I think there's a few but they all look the same.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I have the d807(with cingular though) and I love it. Alot of people like it too(and mistake it for the chocolate heh). It was good sound and great display. Only thing is, if you plan to use it as an mp3 player it has a special headphone jack...

·
I Vore You
13,323 Posts
I'm using a Samsung E317 with Cingular.

I like it. It gets good signal, and I only pay $60 a month for 1500 minutes with rollover, 200 texts, and internet and insurance.

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya, $60 is way too much for me though. $30 is really what I want tro stay at.

I really screwed up my Nextel account. No idea why but the bills were seriously like $70 a month.

I badly need a job to pay for this though. I have $210 right now, maybe a little more. So that'll pay for the cell and a few months of bills, but after that I'm relying on my mom to pay for it since I'm VERY lazy and will probably never get a job till I'm 18. I'm borderline poor, we get little extra money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts