Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
WWW.GAMEBOZO.COM
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok we just got a new computer which is awsome but i now have our old one in my room which isnt to bad but theres so much crap and alot of new problems that i want it to get to how it first was. so i dont know how to reset the computer but im not sure but is reformating the same thing? and if it is how do i do it. but the problem with that is that we already have aol on that computer and u need 128 mb of ram to install aol and we only have 127 somehow. where did it go? i dunno? so if i reformatted the computer but put aol onto a floppy disk then put the disk back in after i reformat will it work?

thanks for your help

·
Rubbish!
797 Posts
Reformatting
First of all, reformatting and "resetting" the computer are the same thing (in the sense that you're thinking of). You shouldn't refer to it as "resetting", though, because that's not really what's happening. To reset the computer would be to press the power reset button on the case, resulting in a forced restart.

You want to reformat your computer. Essentially, you want to delete absolutely everything on your computer, rebuild the file system, then install an operating system. Keep in mind that EVERYTHING will be deleted. All of your files, all of your programs, all of your settings, etc. Anything you wish to keep should be backed up (on a flash drive, DVD, CD, etc) before you reformat, however, you don't want to try and back up your whole computer. Your goal is to remove as much unnecessary junk as possible and keep only the essentials, improving your computers performance and efficiency. The more crap you back up and put right back on your computer, the higher the chances that you'll backup any problems you were having before the reformat.

Reformatting is a fairly easy process and can be done a number of ways. One of the easiest ways (and probably the only way I'd suggest someone with little computer experience attempt) is to start the computer with a Windows98 or WindowsXP CD in the CD rom. Upon startup, you will most likely see a message like "Press Any Key to Boot From CD", or it may automatically boot from the CD. From that point, you can follow the on-screen instructions to reformat and reinstall Windows.

If your computer starts normally and does not offer an option to boot from the CD, your boot process needs to be changed in the system BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM before the hard disk. If you don't know how to change that, I suggest you stop trying to reformat and get someone to help you (in person, not over the internet). In fact, I suggest you do that anyway.

Like I said before, reformatting isn't very difficult to do, but you can very easily mess up your computer if you screw around with the wrong things. Depending on a number of variables, the process can be extremely short and simple or fairly involved, so step-by-step advice over the internet isn't always effective. It would be best for you to get someone that's done it before to sit with you and help out. If all else fails, you may want to contact (VIA this thread or PM) Ibrevesii. He's a member here. He knows the ins and outs of reformatting and seems to have a ton of free time, so he might be willing to talk you through it over AIM or something. I can't speak for him, but he's almost always willing to help out.
pimpballer756 said:
so if i reformatted the computer but put aol onto a floppy disk then put the disk back in after i reformat will it work?
No. The AOL program folder is much larger than a floppy disk, unless you have a disgustingly old version. Even if the folder would fit on a disk, backing up programs by saving the folder on a floppy or CD is a terrible idea and rarely works without consequences. There are registry entries that need to be made when the program is installed. If you MUST have AOL, install it from one of the billions of CD's that are in circulation. Go check your mail. You probably got 4 or 5 of them today alone.

Hopefully you were able to find at least a small shred of helpful advice in this rambling.

·
WWW.GAMEBOZO.COM
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also when ever i use the winows 98 install discs i can einstall it but everything that was there before is already there im pretty sure but we had a ton of adaware and spyware etc. and it was making my computer sooooooo slow. then when i reinstalled it it appeared everything was still there but the spyware and adaware was gone. but theres alot of things not working like my sound doesnt work im pretty sure it wont let me install anything either its pretty much like aol and aim are the only real working things which is all i really need but i would like to play music and play games on it. thanks for your help

·
Rubbish!
797 Posts
You're having more problems than you're going to be able to fix from a "click this and select that" answer you get on this (or any) forum. You're just reinstalling windows, not reformatting. That's your first big problem right there. On the RAM issue, I'm willing to bet you don't have 127MB. It's almost impossible to have 127MB of physical RAM, but a number of things could make your computer say that's what you have. I'm willing to bet you only have 64MB of RAM and the rest is Virtual RAM. There are all kinds of other reasons why you could be seeing 127MB (1MB reserved for Video, etc), but before you worry about that you need to get your hard drive reformatted.

I could sit here and type 10 pages of "If this happens then..." and still not solve all of your problems. You need someone that knows what they're doing to sit down with you and walk you through it. Be careful who you ask to help you too. Just because Johnny-10th-grader knows how to beat halo 2 and says he's a "leet hax0r" doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.

·
WWW.GAMEBOZO.COM
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so what your sayin is its really hard to just get the computer back to the same state that it was when i got it? damn i feel gay as hell for lookin for a button on the back of the computer to make everything go away..........

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
no it isn't, the biggest things are drivers. before you wipe it MAKE SURE that you have all the drivers. especially graphics and modem. go buy another stick of ram for like 30 bux..l

·
WWW.GAMEBOZO.COM
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think ill just leave it as it its

1. i dont have ne moneyt to spend on that
2. i dont want to mess it up and the internet works fine
3. i have no idea what you just said and it sounds hard

·
Rubbish!
797 Posts
Aye.

I'm not saying it's hard to do, but if I'm being honest, I don't think you have the experience or general knowledge of computer systems to do it on your own. No offense intended.

Don't feel bad about looking for a reset button. A lot of modems/routers/etc have them to restore factory settings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts