Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the deal. I need to gain weight.

Little bit of info for ya. I used to be about 5'7" and weigh around 200lbs. I was a fat kid. Over the last year I've gotten to about 5'10-5'11" and now weigh 128. 128 is not enough.

I started losing a LOT of weight when I started running and stuff in preparation for the military. I wasn't expecting to lose almost 70lbs. I'm VERY on the border right now of not being accepted into the military even with a health waiver. And if I do get accepted, there is no way I can go through the pipeline weighing 128lbs. In fact, the average Ranger recruit loses ~30lbs during training. I don't have ~30lbs to spare.

So PBF, I come to you for ideas on how to gain weight.

Things I'm thinking of -
  • Weight lifting regiment
  • Weight lifting regiment supplemented with creatine
  • Eating with minimal exercise (that's fat...don't wanna gain much fat back)
I need better ideas. Any help?

(no, eating more isn't a good idea, cram it.)

O

·
0 Posts
Work out with creatine. That's your best bet.

One thing you'll wanna realize though, it's the average Ranger. You probably won't lose 30 lbs at your weight.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
eat lots of red meats....fried chicken...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
and sit on your ass, alot.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
olddfatbulldog said:
Work out with creatine. That's your best bet.

One thing you'll wanna realize though, it's the average Ranger. You probably won't lose 30 lbs at your weight.
Yes, this I also understand. But remember this - the Ranger program is one of the hardest the Army has to offer. I'm gonna want all the extra weight I can afford going in...it just gives me a cushion, ya know.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ja289 said:
you're very lucky... ive never been at the point where i had to gain weight.. hell i'd love to do that. i gotta start working out or otherwise im going to let myself go..
it's not as sweet as you'd think. after I dropped all the poundage, I lost a lot of things I enjoyed. I get sicker a helluva lot easier now. I get cold hella easier too. I wanna get back up to about 145 and keep it there.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Dude if u get on creatine u have to drink a **** load of water then right when u stop drinking water it all the weight u gained goes away. Trust me i did it 4 football It worked 4 a while then it sucked

D

·
0 Posts
im definitely not good at gaining or losing wieght.. im 17 and have been 145-150 lbs for like 4 years. I guess I grew thin as I grew tall.

·
12,110 Posts
I'm 6 foot nothing and about 170. I dont look that big (at least I dont think so) and I'm definetly not fat. I've actually been working out a ****load lately. I have a chest now.

You want to be a ranger, the question is are you strong enough to pack a cadallac everywhere you go and then some?

I was watching the military channel the other day and a DI was saying that sometimes recruits coem in with teh right mentality and mindset, but the body they had doesn't cut it, so they work togethor to build a new one.

I know at paris island if you fail the physicals, they make you workout extra.

If you've got the strength, I'd keep doing what your doing as far as working out and eat a little more. Try to build muscle though, don't eat stuff that will amke you fat. Work out a ****load and eat foods with a ton of protein. Muscle can weigh more then fat, and it looks better.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Creatine doesn't actually make you gain weight, it makes it so your muscles can repair themselves faster so you can lift more, do more reps, etc.

I would recommend taking a mixture of creatine and protein. But while taking this stuff you need to drink ATLEAST one gallon of water a day. I'm currently on the "off-cycle" part of my creatine regime, but still taking protein, and I drink about 2-3 gallons of water a day.

heres a basic guide to some popular supplements:

http://www.thepumpingstation.com/musclebuildingsupplements.html

edit: I just googled "average weight of a soldier's pack" and it came up with about 100lb + 30-40lb rucksack. This was for a dismounted operation, I'm assuming a soldier carries more gear on a mounted operation?

I got this from www.military.com

1 - 20 of 120 Posts