you mean anti-spyware? ;)

·
Professional Hobo
94 Posts
Spybot S&D is simple and effective... sometimes it fails though... =(

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Most people who have spyware have desktops that look like this...

I'm not saying people with cluttered desktops are retards...I'm just saying I've never seen a person with an organized one with serious problems.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
TonyD said:
Most people who have spyware have desktops that look like this...

I'm not saying people with cluttered desktops are retards...I'm just saying I've never seen a person with an organized one with serious problems.
meh i have had more icons.... 2 screens of icons at one point and i have never had a serious prob well other then the fact that my motherboard went out but that had nothing to do with spyware or anything just crappy parts

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
The only reason I said anything about it is because usually people with cluttered desktops just click "OK" to everything. So it downloads stuff to the desktop, every single thing has an icon on the desktop, etc. Most of the time people with clean desktops are a lot more careful and don't just do the default "Yadda yadda get it done already" click-fest.

In a related story, my computer tried to kill itself two days ago. I outsmarted it, though.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
mine did that once... my old one lets just say a program on my computer with a smiley face icon and titled have a nice day.... well dont click it...

i got some message about "deleting: drive c:"

lol good thing i hated that computer.. i did manage to stop it though.. after only deleting files alphabetically up to about the b's.. ctrl+alt+del works wonders when your hard drive is getting wiped..

·
Αdministrator
5,683 Posts
HuNtS said:
mine did that once... my old one lets just say a program on my computer with a smiley face icon and titled have a nice day.... well dont click it...

i got some message about "deleting: drive c:"

lol good thing i hated that computer.. i did manage to stop it though.. after only deleting files alphabetically up to about the b's.. ctrl+alt+del works wonders when your hard drive is getting wiped..
Ouch

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts

So I shouldn't have spyware?

I use eTrust Pest Patrol. My dad gave it to me so I'm like, meh, works for me. I used to have adaware. Make sure after you scan, you restart and scan again. Restart anytime it finds something, btw.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
StealthMedia said:
Spyware Doctor is amazing...Download the free trial. I use 3 of PCTools' programs.

www.pctools.com

Edit: I run at least one scan a day and it always finds something...
Maybe you should find new websites to go to. Ive had my computer about two weeks and ran the antispy ware and antivirus twice, antispyware found a bunch the first time (obvious) and one thing the next.

Ad aware works nice but doesnt always catch everything. I use spy sweeper but its about $30.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I use Windows Defender. It works PERFECTLY.

"Windows Defender (Beta 2) is a free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software. It features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, and a new streamlined interface that minimizes interruptions and helps you stay productive. "

"Benefits of Windows Defender (Beta 2)
Helps detect and remove spyware

• Spyware detection. Quickly and easily finds spyware and other unwanted programs that can slow down your computer, display annoying pop-up ads, change Internet settings, or use your private information without your consent.

• Straightforward operation and thorough removal technology. Eliminates detected spyware easily at your direction. If you inadvertently remove programs that you actually want, it's easy to get them back.

• Scheduled scanning and removal. Runs these processes when it's convenient for you, whether it's on-demand or on a schedule that you set.

Improves Internet browsing safety

• Helps stop spyware before it infiltrates your computer. Offers a continuous safeguard designed to target all the ways that spyware can infiltrate your computer.

• Works without distracting you. Runs in the background and automatically handles spyware based on preferences that you set. You can use your computer with minimal interruption.

Helps stop the latest threats

• Expertise you can rely on. A dedicated team of Microsoft researchers continuously searches the Internet to discover new spyware and develop methods to counteract it.

• Stops new threats quickly. A voluntary, worldwide network of Windows Defender (Beta 2) users helps Microsoft determine which suspicious programs to classify as spyware. Participants help discover new threats quickly and notify Microsoft analysts, so that everyone is better protected. Anyone who uses Windows Defender (Beta 2) can join this network and help report potential spyware to Microsoft.

• Automatically stays up to date. To help protect your computer from the latest threats, you can choose to have updates that counteract new spyware automatically downloaded to your computer.

Windows Defender (Beta 2) detects and removes known spyware from your computer, which helps make your Internet browsing safer.

The software uses automatic definition updates provided by Microsoft analysts to help detect and remove new threats as the threats are identified."

I have had spyware on my computer in the past, and it detected all of it, and removed it. My computer is fine now.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
big_balla89 said:
So I shouldn't have spyware?

I use eTrust Pest Patrol. My dad gave it to me so I'm like, meh, works for me. I used to have adaware. Make sure after you scan, you restart and scan again. Restart anytime it finds something, btw.
Hehe, nope. I just think clean desktops look better all around anyways. I basically use my desktop as a "temp folder" sometimes. I hardly ever have anything on it, though...not even shortcuts anymore.

Also, furthering what you said, it's always a good idea to run your spyware checks in SAFE MODE withOUT networking. Some of the more tricky stuff will not be noticed when Windows is running normally and as soon as you restart it "reinfects" itself if you will. For most computers you can press F8 while starting up to go into safe mode...my old computer it was control or F8. I STRONGLY recommend doing this if you continue to use windows.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts

I got no problems.. but as you can see I use nortons... I love almost downloading trojans on Limewire and my Norton is like "I deleted (so and so ) Trojan from program limewire" Im like hell yeh. Almost as exciting as watching soccer. ::dodgy::

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
That's not TERRIBLE. My friend has his screen full all the way to halfway through your winamp. Haha, he also doesn't know how to put in a ****ing harddrive so he's having me come over to do it for him.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
I used the Beta 1 of that windows defender when it was microsoft anti-spyware or something like that and it was good back then i think im gonna download this and see if it catches any other things norton may not be seeing.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts