Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I understand the flatline correctley (will be put on a custom pro)...It shoots pretty straight and the ball goes through brush a lot better.
Thats why Im choosing a flatline b/c of its ability to help a ball goe through the brush and is still accurate. Please correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I understand the flatline correctley (will be put on a custom pro)...It shoots pretty straight and the ball goes through brush a lot better.
Thats why Im choosing a flatline b/c of its ability to help a ball goe through the brush and is still accurate. Please correct me if im wrong.
Flatlines are cool and all but they are not all they are cracked up to be.

Nothing is going to make a paintball go through brush better. If the ball hits a branch it's going to either break, keep on going straight or veer off course. The spinning ball from a flatline would probably cause the veering off course more than anything else. I guess the flat trajectory might help you get through a hole that you couldn't get through using a traditional barrel but the compromises you're making to get that occasional miracle shot are the loss of consistent accuracy and the inability to use whatever paint you can get your hands on. Flatlines are picky about paint and if you don't have the right size or use slightly out of round balls, your results will be less than desirable. The flatline I tested was super neat but the targets at the end of the range didn't get hit very much compared to using a traditional barrel. If you are playing indoor paintball in a basement or something with a low ceiling, the advantages a a flatline really shine through because it does shoot flat but the second you get a little bit of dirt, oil or broken paint in the barrel you're in for a bad time until it's cleaned out.

The flatline is going to set you back $100 and it's not worth it IMHO. Look at this:

eBay: Smart Parts Freak Jr Barrel Kit Back Front Tippmann 98 (item 260110259540 end time Apr-30-07 16:58:40 PDT)

For $70 you'd have a nice starter kit that could grow with your needs. It comes with 3 bore sizes and you can add others for about $12 if you find that your paint is smaller or larger than your 3 inserts. Once you have a Freak, you can add different length barrel tips with different types of porting and muzzle brakes and if you switch markers in the future, all you need is a new back to match the new marker's threads and you have a barrel kit for BOTH markers.

The flatline is a very tempting barrel because of it's "Wow!" factor and the hype surrounding it but for 99% of the paintballs you shoot from the end of your marker, you will be far better off with a high quality barrel that has a bore size matched as closely to the paint diameter as possible. Paintballs vary in size from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from bag to bag sometimes. A multi-bore kit is the best investment you can make because no matter what size the paint, you KNOW you have the right sized barrel. From your previous posts you seem very concerned with having very accurate shots. Accuracy comes from consistency and consistency comes from a proper ball to barrel match. The flatline will probably not give you what you desire. Here's a link to a good article someone wrote on the flatline. The thing that stood out to me was how picky it was about paint and the expensive paint he used to get the desired results.

How-To: Flatline Barrel - Special Ops Forum

I like to shoot the cheapest paint possible because the cheaper it is the more I can shoot and the more I can shoot the happier I am. Buying expensive paint to work with a certain barrel seems silly to me when you can buy a barrel kit that will work with any paint you can get your hands on.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
The only way the flatline would help in brush is if there is an opening that you need to shoot flat through. You would have to aim high with a normal barrel and couldn't make the shot. It's nice when you need it.

On the other hand, with the arc of a normal barrel I find shots I couldn't have made with the flatline.

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
The flat-line will help you shoot through brush like Torch said.

It's not worth the $100 but if you can find one for a little cheaper they are pretty good. They give you the flater flight path, the increase your range a little (Some say the balls don't break which is somewhat true but if you hit a mask or a gun it'll break), and they are pretty accurate with a large veriety of paint. The reason a lot of speedball guys think they aren't accurate is because they arn't used to the flater path and so there style of shooting is off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts