Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll be turning 18 on Thursday and I figure that means I can finally get my motorcycle permit (my parents wouldn't sign for me). Of course I'll need a bike and someone to teach me. My question is, what's the best way to learn? For those of you who have your license & a bike, who taught you?

I plan on getting a dirtbike and getting comfortable that way, and then hopefully progressing to a real street bike.

-Jin

·
1,751 Posts
The safe route:
Ride some dirt, then buy a 250.

The fun route:
Go buy a sub 100 hp bike of your choice

The stupid route:
Go buy something way too powerful for you, then crash and die.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zpyro said:
the smart route: find a Motorcycle Safety Course, learn to ride there and be good to go
http://www.msf-usa.org/
Awesome, that's just what I was looking for. I remember hearing about that, but I couldn't think of exactly what it was. Thanks.

-Jin

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
zpyro said:
the smart route: find a Motorcycle Safety Course, learn to ride there and be good to go
http://www.msf-usa.org/
That's the best way. If you have any buddies that have bikes, then practice on theirs after you take the safety course. My frist bike is going to be a GSX-R 600, which is plenty powerful, infact possibly a little too much power, but it dosen't really matter cause if you lay it down or something it's not going to be any worse on a 600 then a 250.

Be careful and ride safe and smart.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, I'm really looking forward to this. Now I just need some money. Hopefully one of the three business deals I'm working on will get me enough cash that I can get one by summer. Any recommendations on dirtbikes? I'm thinking Honda, mainly because I'm use to working on Honda engines.

-Jin

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Jinjiro said:
Man, I'm really looking forward to this. Now I just need some money. Hopefully one of the three business deals I'm working on will get me enough cash that I can get one by summer. Any recommendations on dirtbikes? I'm thinking Honda, mainly because I'm use to working on Honda engines.

-Jin
I'd go Yamaha.. YZ125

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DaBluedevil said:
Cuz I know your Z is allergic to snow just like the bike will be.
God, please don't remind me. Trucks are nice, but I'm just itching to get my Z back and out on the road again. There's been so many nice days this winter where I would love to have my Z out, but then the next day the snow is back. Plus the salt would eat it. Either way I'm definitely ready for Spring/Summer.

-Jin

·
Registered
989 Posts
Honda definitely builds great bikes. Get a 600 though, anything less and you'll get used to it and wish you had more. Anything bigger is really too much for a beginner.
And a big thumbs up to the safety course. I taught myself to ride and thought I was hot stuff, then while I was in the Army it was required that I take a course. I learned so much more.
The best tip I can give you is learn clutch control. So much can be done just with the clutch. Anytime you get on a bike that you've never been on before, take a minute to "find" the clutch. Obviously it's on the left handlebar (almost always), but besides that... with your feet down, give a little throttle and let the clutch out slightly. Repeat this until you can roll the bike forward but still hold it in place with your feet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I say this to all new bike owners, please PLEASE follow all the safety rules you've ever heard of. As a beginner, I'd stay at the speed limit and use defensive driving. Once you get used to it, of course you'll do some crasy ****, but wear all the safety gear! I know it might look goofy to some people (I personally think I look like a hardass in my bike gear) and it takes a little while to put on and its hot, but that beats the hell out of getting the skin ripped off of your torso. And for gods sake wear a helmet. This should be common knowledge but I was driving back from Bloomington last week and four black guys on (looked like yamahas) came flying by, none of them with helmets. You might think I sound like an over cautious grandmother or something, but I've been riding for a few years, and I know guys that have been riding for much longer, take it form experience.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
TurboII said:
I say this to all new bike owners, please PLEASE follow all the safety rules you've ever heard of. As a beginner, I'd stay at the speed limit and use defensive driving. Once you get used to it, of course you'll do some crasy ****, but wear all the safety gear! I know it might look goofy to some people (I personally think I look like a hardass in my bike gear) and it takes a little while to put on and its hot, but that beats the hell out of getting the skin ripped off of your torso. And for gods sake wear a helmet. This should be common knowledge but I was driving back from Bloomington last week and four black guys on (looked like yamahas) came flying by, none of them with helmets. You might think I sound like an over cautious grandmother or something, but I've been riding for a few years, and I know guys that have been riding for much longer, take it form experience.
Definitly listen to the man. Always no matter what, wear the helmet. I know when I get my bike, I'll always wear the helmet, jacket, and clothes.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
1337PAINTBALLER said:
My frist bike is going to be a GSX-R 600, which is plenty powerful, infact possibly a little too much power, but it dosen't really matter cause if you lay it down or something it's not going to be any worse on a 600 then a 250.
uh...no. if you give the gixxer too much gas and accidentally pop the clutch, there's a very good chance you're fuxored. you'll see the sky one second and the ground the next. a 250 is much more forgiving.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
zpyro said:
uh...no. if you give the gixxer too much gas and accidentally pop the clutch, there's a very good chance you're fuxored. you'll see the sky one second and the ground the next. a 250 is much more forgiving.
Yeah, and I learned that on a YZ125.

I've already riden a gixxer and did alright. I was scared as hell though.

I just don't want to get a 250. I know I will get bored of it within a month. Might as well start and get comfortable on something I plan on keeping. I've talked to plenty of people who started on 600s and they said they did just fine. Look at yourself, you started on a 600. Granted it dosen't have nearly as much power as a GSX-R.

·
Registered
989 Posts
1337PAINTBALLER said:
I just don't want to get a 250. I know I will get bored of it within a month. Might as well start and get comfortable on something I plan on keeping.
Absolutely.
I mean a 250 is great to learn on. You can learn throttle control and get really comfortable leaning... but if you gain any skill at all, you will be bored in a month or two.

·
1,751 Posts
But that's when you sell the 250 and step it up. If you buy right, you can easily make 1-200 bucks when you sell it. 250's hold their value EXTREMELY well.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
CoWcH said:
But that's when you sell the 250 and step it up. If you buy right, you can easily make 1-200 bucks when you sell it. 250's hold their value EXTREMELY well.
I know they do, but see, I'm a lazy SOB. :tup

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Dirt and Road are two totally different things when it comes to a bike. I have ridden a lot of bikes, and my first is gonna be a CBR600RR. You can start on a 600 if you have respect for the bike and a lot of control so that you won't get yourself into trouble. I figure I will ride for a month within my limits until I get used to the bike. Also, always wear gear, no matter where you are going. I have seen too many new people not even wear just a helmet and go down within weeks of getting their bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts