Spyderco Native S30V

On the left (top down):

Leatherman Charge Ti
Leatherman Squirt P4

On the right (left to right):
Buck Medium Trapper
Victorinox Soldier
Victorinox Bantam Alox

These are the folders I'm using and abusing right now. Price ranges from $10 (Mini-Blackhorn) to $250 (Rukus). Generally, each one fits into a certain category based on the situation (with some overlap):

Daily Carry: Benchmade 707 or Leatherman Charge
Camping: Either Rukus, V-nox Soldier, Leatherman Charge Ti
Boating/Diving: Spyderco Atlantic Salt (or sometimes Benchmade 530)
Dress carry: Benchmade 310 or Benchmade 705-401 or V-nox Bantam Alox
Work: Spyderco Native
City Travel: Leatherman Squirt P4, or Benchmade 10610, or V-nox Bantam Alox, or Buck Med. Trapper, or Case Mini-BH

I know, I'm crazy, but I like to use at least some of the knives I collect. :rolleyes:

So, anyone pick up any fun sharp things lately?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
umm....a butter knife and a machete.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
I broke that benchmade I picked up a while back so I went back to using one of my older knives a Buck 112. I alos found a Gerber multi tool its decent but I want to get a nice leatherman soon.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you have a uk pen knife?
The spyderco one? Nope, I never picked one up. I've seen one though and it's pretty much just a slightly smaller version of the Caly 3, that doesn't lock. For the UK it makes sense, but I know it wouldn't get carried much if I bought it. I prefer that most of my knives lock (other than traditional style folders, like SAKs, Trappers, ect.)

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
I've always enjoyed your collection Dooms.

****ing bull**** I can't carry a knife anymore... grrrhh

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
he is a felon?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Eh...my nicest knife. My mom and step-dad got it for me last year when they went to Montana(or was it wyoming?).

I need somewhere to display it. Right now it's just in a drawer under my bed, and I don't want it getting damaged becuase It is a really nice knife(atleast for me).

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
What does the term benchmade mean?

I don't know much about knives but I find them quite interesting. I've got a KABAR and a CRKT and some others like some weird Alaskin seal skinning knife that my dad has. I'll take pic's tomorrow.

Have you ever actually used one of your knives in a dangerous situation? I haven't because I never carry mine. Only threatened by 10 year old 'gangsta's' that don't even have one... :rolleyes:

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What does the term benchmade mean?

Have you ever actually used one of your knives in a dangerous situation? I haven't because I never carry mine. Only threatened by 10 year old 'gangsta's' that don't even have one... :rolleyes:
Not sure on the Benchmade term, I think it's just a name. They went from Bali Song USA, to Pacific Cutlery Corp, to Benchmade USA. Bali Song USA turned out to be a poor choice when bali songs (butterfly knives) became illegal in most places back in the 70's. Pacific Cutlery Corp didn't work out well, because it made people think all their knives were made oversees. Therefore, they became Benchmade, which would be hard to put a negative connotation to (and it implies custom-like quality).

As far as using knives in a dangerous situation, I don't think I ever have. I try to stay out of dangerous situations. With that said, you never know when you might have to cut a seat belt to get someone out of a burning car, or cut fishing line to free a trapped dog, or cut your own arm off to survive (Aaron Ralston:rolleyes:). Other than a heavy rock, a blade is the most basic of tools; near infinite uses.

For me, carrying a knife isn't just for it's usefulness, though. A knife is one of the few things that past paupers and presidents alike have carried in their pockets. Even children carried them too. The term "pen knife" comes from the small folding knives kids in school used to carry to sharpen the nib on their pen (and later sharpen their pencil). Things have changed quite a bit since then, now a pen knife in school is often grounds for expulsion. For me, a knife is as much an item of symbol and nostalgia, as it is a tool I use most every day. :tup

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I broke that benchmade I picked up a while back so I went back to using one of my older knives a Buck 112. I alos found a Gerber multi tool its decent but I want to get a nice leatherman soon.
What model Leatherman were you thinking of Allen?

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
Got arrested for curfew and had a knife on me.

I ended up getting supervision and the damn policeman had to make a note that I had a knife on me. Judge said not to carry or else it'd be a violation of supervision.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got arrested for curfew and had a knife on me.

I ended up getting supervision and the damn policeman had to make a note that I had a knife on me. Judge said not to carry or else it'd be a violation of supervision.
lol, Curfew? What a stupid thing to get arrested for.:rolleyes:

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
What model Leatherman were you thinking of Allen?
I haven't decided yet, I went and played with about 4-5 of them at bass pro the other day. Out of the ones I handled I liked the wave the best, They didn't have the Charge Ti like yours. I kinda like the looks of that one especially the easy access to the blades.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind it will be put through pretty rough use so the tougher the better. thumup:

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't decided yet, I went and played with about 4-5 of them at bass pro the other day. Out of the ones I handled I liked the wave the best, They didn't have the Charge Ti like yours. I kinda like the looks of that one especially the easy access to the blades.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind it will be put through pretty rough use so the tougher the better. thumup:
Their super tough models are the Core and Surge. They're very heavy to carry though, my Surge stays in my truck. However, if you're looking for the toughest model that's the way to go. The regular wave model is also pretty tough, but no where near as much as the other two. I would check out the Surge, similar to the wave but built like a truck. Target usually has them if you can't find it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts