Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have to present a 15 minute proposal about a topic we signed up for. I chose iTunes and music downloads. I would like to hear your thoughts on the deal that iTunes offers, which is .99$/ song or on average, 9.99$/ album. Does this encourage you to purchase more music through iTunes, or do you continue to download music? Do you get the feeling that after the Napster revolution, record sales have faded or increased? I'm just curious as to what the general, semi-educated public thinks. Please don't discuss with other people their opinions, as I may link to this topic for my presentation. Please just list your thoughts on the questions I asked. Thank you for your help from whoever participates.

*Also, please don't move this to the music forum. I think its a reasonable request as I'm looking for a more broad range of answers rather then just the 15 or so people who frequent the music forum. Thank you.

·
Registered
956 Posts
IMO, paying to download music is gay. I will never pay to download music as long as I can get it for free. And for the artists who are getting their stuff pirated, it's not like they aren't multi-millionaires anyways. It's not like NOBODY is buying their cd's because lots of people are, the industry just gets pissed at people who are beating the system.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
HomE SkiLLeT said:
IMO, paying to download music is gay. I will never pay to download music as long as I can get it for free. And for the artists who are getting their stuff pirated, it's not like they aren't multi-millionaires anyways. It's not like NOBODY is buying their cd's because lots of people are, the industry just gets pissed at people who are beating the system.
Yep.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
for a while i was trying to cut back on downloading music, but then i just said '**** it' because cd's are known to be overpriced by music distributors, and people use mp3 players now so owning a cd is a hassle to have to rip it to the computer, and then upload it, when you cna just download an album, and upload it 20 minutes later when its done downloading

·
12,110 Posts
[Pseudo-intellectual social rant]

Why did they start playing music? Was it to get rich, live in hotel penthouses, and do drugs?

IMO the artists need to step up. The music they play should be for everyone to hear.

First of all, my job doesn't pay enough so that I can buy 5 or 6 CD's a week (becuase I sometimes download that much music at once). The only way I can listen (and in turn, tell others to listen) is if I download... And like I siad, then I'll go tell my friends and let them hear, and maybe they can buy the CD.

CD sales have not suffered.

I think the main argument here is:

People steal music.. Does that mean they wont contribute positively to the artist/producer?

Also, its no risk. If I hear a song in a movie (I know tons of people who hear a song in a movie and want to download the song), and want to hear more of that band, do I run out and buy the CD, find out every other song sucks, throw the CD away and tell people how bad it sucks? And I mean people are more willing to say bad then good about something.

Anyways, I have baby back ribs to eat. <3

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
I don't like the pay to download sites. They seem overly complicated.

My dad got a card for like 25 songs free with his Sirius radio or whatever he bought. So, he asks me to help him find the ones he wants. He made a list and everything. And I try to find them. It's crazy, click on this, dodge this ad, find the small link that looks like its hiden from you, open this tab, select the song you want, add it to download list, authorize with your account, log in, log out. Whatever.

I can load any P2P program and download the same song, without any of those problems. Even IRC is easier, and it's strict text based.

Relate it to something real-

You can go to a music store, where everything is chained down or in locked cases. You ask the sales person to open it so you can buy a CD, he makes a pitch for something you don't even want, you ignore it and wait, you get your CD and pay for it.

Or you go to your buddy down the street. You say what you want, he gives it to you. Nothing more. And it was free. In exchange for this, you accept that it may not be legal and you don't care where it came from.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
i dont think its stupid that artists sell cds to make money, but its just the fact that CDs are overpriced it ruins why they even made the music. did they make it so that their cds has good sales, or did they make it so that their fans want to go out and buy the cd because its just plain awsome?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
i have had limewire for a few years. Does that mean i havent gone out and supported bands i liked? No. I still buy a few CD's once in a blue moon, ill buy their t-shirts and other apparel if i like them enough. it will actually give them more publicity, since people wont have to pay for what they hear. If they hear a song on the radio and like it, they might download more of your songs and in turn come to your shows or whatever. If somebody with no computer hears a song on the radio, they MIGHT go out and buy the CD, but first theyll ask their friends to borrow it or some jazz like that, and if no one has it, they probably wont run the risk of buying a crappy cD

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
you guys act like artists are wrong for wanting to make money for doing what they do. so don't be pissed off when people make you work for less than you could make. fact is, making music is their job, plain and simple. if you're looking to make music just to be cool, more power to ya, but you really aren't a factor in this situation. the artists who are being pirated the most are, obviously, the ones who are most popular.

I download music from an artist to see what their other songs are like after hearing their single(s) on the radio. one example of having only one good song is Avenged Sevenfold. I like one of their songs i can't remember the title off the top of my head, but i dl a couple other tracks and they were all super emo and lame as hell. if i had spent my money on the cd I would have been pretty pissed. an example of me dl some tracks and then buying the cd? Apartment 26. I heard their single Give Me More on the radio and it rocked. checked out some more tracks and they also rocked. so i went and bought their cd. if a band doesn't make a good enough cd for me to buy, i wont buy it. it makes me think that it helps the bands stop making one good song and an album full of crap. although i know my one cd purchase doesn't mean **** to them cuz there's plenty of others who bought it.
I also dl albums if the CD i have/had is either damaged or lost/stolen. I had already bought the rights to it so it's pretty much legal (at least in my eyes)

anyways.

I don't use itunes, never had a reason to. I don't have anything made by apple, and when I do buy music, it's from a store and not online. I like having a physial copy of the music. also, I like the booklets that come with them. I like having lyrics, photos, etc. to check out while listening to the cd

·
Registered
986 Posts
z i dont agree with people saying its ok for me to steal cause they guys are rich... i know there has been atleast one person here that has said it. but this is how music goes for me...

1) hear about them somewhere (movie, game, friends, etc...)
2) download cd (if i enjoy the cd skip to 4)
3) delete it and curse thier existence
4) enjoy cd and listen to it
5) go to a show of the bands
6) purchase cd there

its normall 8+ dollars cheaper at the show anyway... can you honestly say that is a bad process though?

·
chicks dig scars baby!
2,477 Posts
i think that the people at apple are genius's. think about it, you buy this $200 mp3 player. then you go to THEIR music site and pay MORE money for every song...i dont think they wanted to make money off of the mp3's (figuratively speaking) but i think the real idea was itunes. think about the kids that have an ipod and have got 500 songs on it and wen u ask em where they got their songs they go "itunes...." thats like another $500 right there for apple (assuming they werent bought by the album, but even if they were u get my point). wal mart tried doin it, but they just didnt have the same success.

the dudes at apple>*

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Skate and Paint said:
think about the kids that have an ipod and have got 500 songs on it and wen u ask em where they got their songs they go "itunes...."
We are the kids who are being asked, and not one person has responded that they use iTunes to download music. If you ask a 13-30 year old where they got music, they either bought it, or downloaded it for free in almost every instance. iTunes makes money, but its off of people who didn't learn anything from the P2P revolution, and I would say, are generally unsavvy with technology. I did the same thread on PBN (which gets more responces due to sheer volume) and the answers were the same. I think only 1 person said they used iTunes to download music, and that person won a 500$ card out of a raffle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts