Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I downloaded an Iced Earth song tonight. I'm kinda wondering though, are they supposed to be satanic or something? I can't really tell. I think it's a really unique form of music, and I liked a lot of it, but the whole "is this satanic?" edge kinda turned me off.

Also, are all their songs this long? And are there any other bands like this?

btw, the song I downloaded was Dante's inferno.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If by satanic you mean they worship lucifer then no. I guess you could say that they are "Dark". But the main thing you must realize is that just because a band talks about Satan and/or dark themes DOES NOT mean that they worship him. Metal Bands usually consist of fearless people who say whatever they want. Besides, there is nothing wrong with talking about evil. Without evil, good would not exist. For everything in the universe, there is an exact opposite. There always has been and always will be. Good vs. Evil are two opposing forces that have always existed in our universe and are nessesary in order for life to exist. Just the same way as the north and south poles hold the earth together.

Anyways, the song you downloaded is about the 9 levels of Hell. So, thats probably why you say its satanic. Dante's Inferno is one of the darkest songs which is also off of their darkest album (Burnt Offerings). But one thing you have to remember is that just because they talk about dark themes does not mean they worship satan. 95% of all metal heads DO NOT worship satan. Most metal heads are actually really nice people. Most do not go to a church or temple but this DOES NOT make them an athesist or satanist. I for one, do not belong to a church, temple, or senagough yet I am certain that there is a god and I have studied theories as to how god created this universe. I for one do believe that there is only one true god and one true spirit that flows through everything. The chances of the universe forming the way it did are 1/10^120. Yes that is one over 10 with 120 zeros. If any of those zeroes were different then life would not exist. Everything in the universe is too perfect to be created by change without a god. So this is why I am certain there is a god. If you want to learn more, PM me and I can type for pages.

Sorry about my rambling, I just had to let out my outburst of why most metal heads are not satanic or atheist.

Anyways, Dante's Inferno is their longest song but they do a few other long songs however. Some other songs are The Devil to Pay, High Water Mark, and Travel in Stygian. But I'd say most of their songs top out at an average or 6 minutes or so.

Iced earth is what you call power metal. If you like Iced Earth check out Blind Guardian. Also check out Symphony X. Symphony X however is Neo-Classical Progressive metal and not really power metal. But most people who like Iced Earth like Symphony X as well. If you like what you hear, you can also check out Demons & Wizards, Hammerfall, Dream Evil, Edguy, Firewind, Galloglass, Human Fortress, Rhapsody, Dragonforce, Manowar, Helloween, Avantasia, Tad Morose, etc.

If you want some more bands, let me know.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ha, you downloaded just one song my friend. In fact, the very next song on Alive in Athens is "The Hunter", which is about an angel killing demons. The only songs that I could think of that have a "satanic edge" would be Dante's Inferno and Angels Holocaust. You've heard the first (which is actually just a musical rendering a a book written some 2 centuries ago, I believe. They didn't think it up themselves. Many other songs are based off works of literature as well; "Last December" is written after the storyline of Romeo and Juliet.) and the latter is about angels killing others so neither have any satanical edge. Hell, they even have a dedication song to Schaffer's friend who was killed in a motorcycle accident ("Watching Over Me"). Trust me, they ain't satanic and I know plenty about them...

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just wondering, and I got essays, sweet.

E-99 King, I'm gonna get you on AIM sometime, since I actually liked what I heard. It was really dark and thought provoking, I just was unsure if they were worshipping, or just speaking of Satan. And I definately agree with you on a lot of what you said.

And Dante's Inferno, haha, you're the reason I downloaded the song. I saw part of the lyrics in your sig, and I was intrigued. It was actually a very good song.

Any other suggestions? I know you 2 are pretty much the resident "metal heads" of the group ;) I'll hit both you up on AIM when I get on later. Thanks for the help you two.

ps - if a guy named bizkitfan601 AIMs you, that's me. and no, I don't like limp bizkit anymore.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Gotcha Pr0ph3t, I shall be on.

For other Iced Earth songs, look below.

Heavy:
Burning Times
My Own Savior
The Hunter
Pure Evil
Dark Saga
Vengeance is Mine

Soft(er):
Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
Travel in Stygian
A Question of Heaven
Last December
Watching Over Me

To let you know, all of the above songs were sung by John Schaffer. Their newest album, "The Glorious Burden", is sung by Tim Owens and has a different, but still great, sound. Here are some of his songs.

Heavy:
The Reckoning
Attila
Declaration Day
Greenface

Soft(er):
Hollow Man
Valley Forge
When the Eagle Cries

thumup:

·
Registered
898 Posts
E-99 king said:
Anyways, the song you downloaded is about the 9 levels of Hell. So, thats probably why you say its satanic. Dante's Inferno is one of the darkest songs which is also off of their darkest album (Burnt Offerings). But one thing you have to remember is that just because they talk about dark themes does not mean they worship satan. 95% of all metal heads DO NOT worship satan. Most metal heads are actually really nice people. Most do not go to a church or temple but this DOES NOT make them an athesist or satanist. I for one, do not belong to a church, temple, or senagough yet I am certain that there is a god and I have studied theories as to how god created this universe. I for one do believe that there is only one true god and one true spirit that flows through everything. The chances of the universe forming the way it did are 1/10^120. Yes that is one over 10 with 120 zeros. If any of those zeroes were different then life would not exist. Everything in the universe is too perfect to be created by change without a god. So this is why I am certain there is a god. If you want to learn more, PM me and I can type for pages.
Once again, King is right. I do not believe in religion. Do you know why people who don't have a strict religion are drawn to metal music? No, not because they're satanic (as many rednecks like to think), but because metal explores many ideas of psychology and theology. A lot of metal songs explore the meaning of life, death, love, and hate.

To the people without a strict religion, this is a great thing. It gives people a way to explore alternative theories about life and death, instead of those set by modern religion. Many metal songs also delve into the depths of psychology, which also holds an attraction to those without strict religion.

Really, this makes perfect sense. People who belong to a strict religion beleive the doctrines of that religion and, in many cases, these doctrines define why things happen and who makes them happen. People without a strict religion look to logic and other means to discover why such things happen. In the end, it all works out. thumup:

·
\m/ viking
935 Posts
\m/ De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas \m/

Why would ou be turned off by a bands religeous beliefs, if you like metal youre screwed, the further you go into it, the more you wont like it I guess for the most part anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts