Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...don't be a hardass. I'm so sick of tough guys saying they do MMA and can't deal with anything that opposes them. One girl(who was a really good friend) is engaged to this guy that does MMA. Even if someone jokes with him saying something different(ie last weekend, someone wanted to go to a different part of town for bars than he did) he started being tough.

Later that night some dude in the parking lot tore off his shirt, claiming he knows MMA, and proceeded to do high kicks and show off his feather tattoos. I told him to go inside while i got my drunk friends into our cars to leave.

Bottom line, if you do MMA, that does not make you hardcore. So you can kick someone's ass. Great that your fighting skills makes you resort to violence and threats because you're so dumb you can't argue anything rationally. Seriously, if you think you're hardcore cuz you do MMA, **** off and die. Or kick my ass, I'll send your ****in ass to jail, tough guy.

Disclaimer: This is not directed toward anyone on PBF. I'm just sick of guys thinking they're so damn tough. I'm not an angry pipsqueak either. I feel confident I could take on half the toughguy MMA people that I've seen flaunt the fact that they train. Don't be a douche.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
right. mixed martial arts.

the only guys i knew of that did MMA were two reffs at my paintball field. I never saw it, but they apparently goofed off with each other all the time and it scared the **** out of everybody because they couldn't believe how good they were...but they certainly went hardasses about it.

·
Since 1923
1,909 Posts
right. mixed martial arts.

the only guys i knew of that did MMA were two reffs at my paintball field. I never saw it, but they apparently goofed off with each other all the time and it scared the **** out of everybody because they couldn't believe how good they were...but they certainly went hardasses about it.

I dont think i know a single person that does it

D

·
0 Posts
yeah i cant say ive ever met some one with mma training. I can see howd theyd be douches though.
People are pretty lame.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
The problem with MMA and the UFC craze is that people jump right into MMA as a sport and competition, and never learn the discipline of martial arts that traditional forms teach you.

I took Isshin Ryu Karate and some Jujitsu for many years, and later in my training we started working more and more on the MMA aspect. My friends and I who did it are far from the type of people you describe - we learn how to avoid situations before resorting to violence.

-Jin

·
WWW.GAMEBOZO.COM
2,741 Posts
...don't be a hardass. I'm so sick of tough guys saying they do MMA and can't deal with anything that opposes them. One girl(who was a really good friend) is engaged to this guy that does MMA. Even if someone jokes with him saying something different(ie last weekend, someone wanted to go to a different part of town for bars than he did) he started being tough.

Later that night some dude in the parking lot tore off his shirt, claiming he knows MMA, and proceeded to do high kicks and show off his feather tattoos. I told him to go inside while i got my drunk friends into our cars to leave.

Bottom line, if you do MMA, that does not make you hardcore. So you can kick someone's ass. Great that your fighting skills makes you resort to violence and threats because you're so dumb you can't argue anything rationally. Seriously, if you think you're hardcore cuz you do MMA, **** off and die. Or kick my ass, I'll send your ****in ass to jail, tough guy.

Disclaimer: This is not directed toward anyone on PBF. I'm just sick of guys thinking they're so damn tough. I'm not an angry pipsqueak either. I feel confident I could take on half the toughguy MMA people that I've seen flaunt the fact that they train. Don't be a douche.

i feel you on that. but worse than that is when people think there sweet because they WHATCH mma.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I train mma, but the majority of guys that try to show it off, are the guys who watch the UFC and think they know MMA because of it. Or, it's the guys that have done Muay Thai for 2 weeks and think they're bad ass because of it, there are of course, always the few that act like hard asses and actually know something. By and large though, my experience is that the more experienced guys, usually are very calm about it and don't really try and show off. The closest I've heard of someone doing that, was my friend who some ass hole was trying to fight him, and he was like, "Don't **** with me, I train Muay Thai", and the guy left him alone I guess.

"The problem with MMA and the UFC craze is that people jump right into MMA as a sport and competition, and never learn the discipline of martial arts that traditional forms teach you.

I took Isshin Ryu Karate and some Jujitsu for many years, and later in my training we started working more and more on the MMA aspect. My friends and I who did it are far from the type of people you describe - we learn how to avoid situations before resorting to violence.

-Jin"
Honestly, I really don't think it's much of a discipline problem in MMA as a sport, but a problem with the individual.

I mean, boxing has been around forever, and rarely will you get some guy that goes, "I train boxing" and throws a combination. The problem is that you get a moron, who thinks he knows how to fight from either training (usually not extensively), or just from watching the UFC, and think they can brag because of it.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
My best friend was always really into the whole MMA thing, even going to Japan to compete a few times. I would always joke with him that I, with my knife, could take him on (unarmed) no problem. He would always agree with me, without hesitation. Sure, I'm 6'3" 250+lbs or so and he's only maybe 5'10 and skinny as a twig, but the basic idea is there. You can know all the martial arts you want, but it doesn't help you much if the other guy has a gun, knife, ect. You're still going to get messed up. It doesn't work like in the movies unless you get really really lucky.

With that said, like OhRLY mentioned, most of the people I know, who are really into MMA, you would never be able to tell. Only the people who aren't really that great or aren't really into it seem to brag. That's one of the things I always liked about most martial arts. It teaches a degree of respect and humility.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
The problem with MMA and the UFC craze is that people jump right into MMA as a sport and competition, and never learn the discipline of martial arts that traditional forms teach you.
Exactly.

The best martial artists are not the ones who compete. They do it for themselves, not to prove they are better than someone else.

I've got a friend who is big and Dutch. About Bas Rutten's size. He's been doing Bok Fu for something like 10 years and he doesn't brag about it or force people to do stuff although he easily could. He's one of the most peaceful people I know and he doesn't like seeing people fight.

You learn martial arts for self protection and to expand your mind and spirit, not to fight against others.

·
45's to the sky
4,355 Posts
I really want to do some Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. A lot of my friends wrestle and they got me into watching UFC, and my favorite aspect has always been the jiu jitsu. I'm not someone who likes watching people's face get pounded in, I'd rather someone submit somebody. The submissions and the way these guys can do them are crazy.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
I really want to do some Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. A lot of my friends wrestle and they got me into watching UFC, and my favorite aspect has always been the jiu jitsu. I'm not someone who likes watching people's face get pounded in, I'd rather someone submit somebody. The submissions and the way these guys can do them are crazy.
I enjoy a good arm bar submission by the person who is in guard. That always takes a great deal of skill and speed.
YouTube - Arm Bar From Guard: Submissions 101

And the omoplata. This takes a lot of skill - I was never able to do this that well. Let me tell you, this HURTS.
YouTube - Omoplata Shoulder Lock: Submissions 101

Oh! And the crucifix. This requires an insane amount of skill. Never really seen it done in a fight before. This has a very painful sensation, and I can only imagine it has to be named the crucifix for a reason. You really do feel like you just can't breathe and your chest will explode - instantly.
YouTube - Crucifix Neck Crank: Submissions 101

-Jin

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It becomes way more interesting and exciting when you actually understand what they're doing. I encourage you to do it, it's a blast, and having friends that wrestle, you could get some puzzle mats (or even just grass would work) and roll with each other. You could especially learn from their takedowns, BJJ doesn't focus much on takedowns since a lot of the time, people just pull guard.

I enjoy a good arm bar submission by the person who is in guard. That always takes a great deal of skill and speed.
YouTube - Arm Bar From Guard: Submissions 101

And the omoplata. This takes a lot of skill - I was never able to do this that well. Let me tell you, this HURTS.
YouTube - Omoplata Shoulder Lock: Submissions 101

Oh! And the crucifix. This requires an insane amount of skill. Never really seen it done in a fight before. This has a very painful sensation, and I can only imagine it has to be named the crucifix for a reason. You really do feel like you just can't breathe and your chest will explode - instantly.
YouTube - Crucifix Neck Crank: Submissions 101

-Jin
A. Thats a pretty good, basic technique, though pulling it off in no-gi grappling would be difficult because it's be fairly easy to pull back and slip arm out.

B. Omaplatas are hard because once the person realizes you're going for it, if you don't control their hips quick enough, they'll roll and you lose all the leverage.

C. Crucifixes are nearly impossible to pull off unless you severely over power, or incredibly over the other person's technique level. And in some tournaments (most beginner BJJ tournaments) neck cranks aren't allowed. But in UFC 1 or 2 I believe, someone got their opponent in a crucifix, though rather than submit them, they held the arm with one hand, and elbowed with the guy with the other, knocking him out.

But the last two shouldn't even be worked much until you're fairly advance, they require a lot more technique to pull off. Some better beginner techniques would be Kimuras, Americanas, armbars and triangles. They tend to have better transfers into other moves (Sweeps from Kimuras, americanas are simple to pull off, and you can armbar off a failed triangle, and triangle off a failed armber).

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
The arm bar from guard requires skill (in my opinion) because it's fairly easy to spot, and although the person who has guard is technically controlling the fight, the person on top has a lot of options for defending it. It definitely takes more speed and skill than an arm bar from mount, for example.

And I know the fight you're talking about for the crucifix I think, but I can't remember the guys name. Is it a big black guy?

-Jin

1 - 20 of 22 Posts