Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... this is for you—democracy in action. Here is the famed system of the "best government in the world," which has been used as justification for several U.S. invasions this last century, and probably another half dozen or so before we hit the brick wall. And boy... I can see why it's so revered.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was quite shocked, too.

As far as being stopped: It might be, but I really don't think so. Even if it is corrected, as it should be, the overall picture won't change much. And besides, it's not like this is the only corrupt action possible.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
It's like a big game of musical chairs on that floor!
that's despicable!
it's so hilariously bad. They're all running around like crazy trying to get those votes in.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
... this is for you—democracy in action. Here is the famed system of the "best government in the world," which has been used as justification for several U.S. invasions this last century, and probably another half dozen or so before we hit the brick wall. And boy... I can see why it's so revered.
Are you seriously going to judge DEMOCRACY as a whole based on the flawed system that they use in the Texas legislature to cast their ballots on legislation? I agree that it's despicable, and a spit in the face of what we really stand for. But the conclusion you came to is just ridiculous.

·
GO BUCKS
798 Posts
I criticize people for not voting when they complain about the current president and they didn't vote. You didn't vote so you have no right to say anything about the current government. Now if you voted and picked the losing candidate then you can ***** all you want about the president.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andrew, should we reveal our anti-democratic sentiments now or later?
He outed himself a few days ago.

It's like a big game of musical chairs on that floor!
that's despicable!
Enjoy.

Are you seriously going to judge DEMOCRACY as a whole based on the flawed system that they use in the Texas legislature to cast their ballots on legislation? I agree that it's despicable, and a spit in the face of what we really stand for. But the conclusion you came to is just ridiculous.
You can't be serious. To think that'd I'd make such a large judgment over one (albeit rather exposing) video on YouTube is silly.

Of course there is no real evidence for me to think so, but I have a good feeling that this kind of thing goes on in other states, too. What this video does expose, however, is that representative democracy is not an idea for these kind of reasons. And with the current state of the world, direct democracy would be far worse. That doesn't leave many other alternatives—it's kind of either the people or others representing the people.

I really just kind of wanted to point out "Hey, look at this it's F'd up" as a "be a wary citizen" kind of thing, and of course to point out that Freedom loving America isn't as perfect as it seems, but we can get into the underlying stuff if you want.

I criticize people for not voting when they complain about the current president and they didn't vote. You didn't vote so you have no right to say anything about the current government. Now if you voted and picked the losing candidate then you can ***** all you want about the president.
Either you didn't understand my point of posting this thread, don't understand how this system works, or both. Simply voting and doing nothing else is a very weak form of activism. Choosing to not vote because the system is corrupt and doesn't work (as evidenced by the video) and instead taking an active part in trying to replace it with something better is a lot more effective than sitting back and pretending a piece of paper will fix it.

What the video shows is that the people's votes don't matter when this kind of thing goes on behind their backs. They vote to choose who gets into office, but after they are there, it doesn't really make a difference. Even writing your congressmen won't make a difference if they aren't there to vote or if someone else votes for them.

Wow. Like. I dont get how that hasn't gotten out to the public earlier.

Thats one of the better videos I've watched on youtube....
Because this kind of knowledge becoming widespread would put power in jeopardy.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
All it shows is that we have to punish these people, and change the system for casting votes on legislation.

·
Ðèm-öñ(Pòp)tårt
1,469 Posts
TonyD, that video...

it was awesome!

i kindof want to be on the third floor playing that kind of music one day when the voting starts...

that'd just be amazing.

...if i can't do anything about it, why not have fun with it?!

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All it shows is that we have to punish these people, and change the system for casting votes on legislation.
Really? I think it shows some deeper flaws, and I'm not alone. Look at how often congressmen are getting in trouble with the law recently. It seems like every few months there is something going on.

Punishing them and changing a few rules here and there isn't going to change the facts that people don't really have much of a choice or that they are being (in many ways) misrepresented.

Also...
Benny Hill music makes almost anything better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts