Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I are currently developing an impact detection suit for a graduate course. I wanted to see if the paintball community had any interest in the idea.

The suit will be able to detect an impact and through a custom connection to the marker, prevent further shots from being fired. It will be able to distinguish between a paintball hit and other random contact (brushing arm over chest, laying down on the ground, etc.) and will cover most of the major areas of the torso/chest that could normally be hit. Once someone has been "hit" they can either be out for the game or go back to a designated point and get their vest reset. One of my goals in applying this idea to paintball is to reduce cheating from wiping paint or people continuing to shoot after they have been hit.

This is currently a prototype, so it is only a vest. If there is interest in this sort of technology then we will move on to full suits and try to include the sensors on helmets. The vest is not bulky since the sensors we are using are fairly small and any other material being used is about the same as thin pads on speedball shirts. The electronics would be in a small belt case.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Be much better IMO in airsoft, where a hit is elimination, not paintball, where a hit MIGHT be an elimination if it broke, but if it doesn't break, you're not eliminated. You'd need to develop some way of it being able to differentiate between a bounce and a break before anyone would really want it for paintball.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The feedback from the sensors we are using rely on the magnitude of the force on impact to determine hits. If we set the threshold for a positive hit above what will be seen on a bounce then there should not be an issue. That will come with testing, but I agree with you. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,818 Posts
it will still be an issue. paintball eliminations are based on marking with paint. not the impact. someone could be shooting crazy cheap paint and it bounces off of everything at any force, but someone playing with tournament paint will be breaking balls on everything and anything. there's no set amount of force required to break a paintball.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds something like arena based lazer tag.

The idea sounds grand but in reality it will be difficult to be adopted. Let's use a simple tourney game format as an example. To be effective, it would have be used by all team members of both sides (who will be responsible for the purchase and the upkeep). As you relate, the vest is also attached to the marker with a way of turning the marker board off to prevent any shots to be fired. Most tourney players that I know have their own markers and not every member of the team will have the same marker. It is after all a game of preference.

Finally there is the issue of shot placement. What about head shots, arm shots, leg, hands and marker. A vest limits the positions where a hit would take out an opponent. Again this reminds me of paintball where the infra-red sensor was in the middle of the vest or on the gun. I have seen many lazer tag players hide their sensors to avoid a tagout.

The project sounds ambitious however IMHO it does not sound practical.

·
Administrator
14,096 Posts
it will still be an issue. paintball eliminations are based on marking with paint. not the impact. someone could be shooting crazy cheap paint and it bounces off of everything at any force, but someone playing with tournament paint will be breaking balls on everything and anything. there's no set amount of force required to break a paintball.
exactly, the other issue is a bounce actually imparts more force to the person than a break does. With a break a lot of the force is absorbed by the paint liquid flying out but in a bounce all the force of the paintball is imparted to the clothing/person

I dont think this would ever take off for paintball but airsoft it very well could. competition airsoft has had a lot of issues with people not calling hits, to the point of considering the use of 6mm paintballs for competitive play, a sensor vest would solve this problem or at least really help it

·
Registered
2 Posts
My friend and I are currently developing an impact detection suit for a graduate course. I wanted to see if the paintball community had any interest in the idea.

The suit will be able to detect an impact and through a custom connection to the marker, prevent further shots from being fired. It will be able to distinguish between a paintball hit and other random contact (brushing arm over chest, laying down on the ground, etc.) and will cover most of the major areas of the torso/chest that could normally be hit. Once someone has been "hit" they can either be out for the game or go back to a designated point and get their vest reset. One of my goals in applying this idea to paintball is to reduce cheating from wiping paint or people continuing to shoot after they have been hit.

This is currently a prototype, so it is only a vest. If there is interest in this sort of technology then we will move on to full suits and try to include the sensors on helmets. The vest is not bulky since the sensors we are using are fairly small and any other material being used is about the same as thin pads on speedball shirts. The electronics would be in a small belt case.

Any feedback is appreciated.
I realize this is pretty old but I am experimenting with mobile paintball game services and using water filled 68 cal ammo with standard paintball guns and I was wondering how this went and if you are still working on this?

·
Administrator
14,096 Posts
I realize this is pretty old but I am experimenting with mobile paintball game services and using water filled 68 cal ammo with standard paintball guns and I was wondering how this went and if you are still working on this?
I have to ask, why water filled? It's been tried before and just seems that every once in a while someone comes out with a water ball and they are just always.... Terrible

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
that’s a fair question. I am working on a business model where we can bring the game to any location and trying to avoid major clean up of the paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts