Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black Impulse from 2004?-2005? with a LPR, delrin Bolt, Progressive (stock) barrel, and blade trigger. After having the LPR installed I lost distance and accuracy. Before I had the LPR installed this gun would go great distances and maintain accuracy every time but it was loud. It was awesome. But after the LPR, when I shoot at a target the ball veers off course in a circular motion either up down or side to side before hitting the target. I could be shooting at a pumpkin and the ball would just quickly veer to the side of it no longer going having accuracy at distance. I suppose the distance would be the same if the accuracy was corrected. I am wondering if I need a new barrel to work with the LPR? Or do I need to re-tune or have the LPR returned for me? I used to use this thing on occasion, never using any thing but Nitrogen. But I haven't used it now in about 3 years. So I also need to know what I need to do to get it up and running properly again as it has been unused for 3 years.

Also I never did get as good a hopper as I wanted, I know Halo was and probably still is the king. I would like to just have this thing ready to go again. Thanks.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
ok your accuracy has nothing to do with the LPR, accuracy is dependant on paint and barrel alone im betting what has happened is since you installed the lpr your velocity has dropped due to a lower cycling pressure than before (stock impulses run off of around 200 psi)

so the immediate fix is to bring your LPR pressure up so the marker has more to work with, whats happening is the ram is cycling slower and therefore the poppet is not open as much and you are putting less air behind each shot than you did before, resulting in a lower FPS in each shot, this is why they are not going as far and chances are you have the same accuracy you did before but now that they are going much slower it is much more noticeable when they are curving

if your impulse is a later model you should have the cricket board (does it chirp when you turn it on and have a blue light in the back?)

if so what you need to do to get the most out of the impulse is tune the LPR, HPR and dwell in

so heres what i suggest, raise your LPR pressure about a full turn to start, then while shooting over a chrono get your FPS dieled in to right about 300, then start lowering your dwell timing untill you see the FPS start to drop off, raise it about 5 clicks from where it starts to drop so you have a little buffer, and then do the same for your LPR, lower it untill the FPS starts to drop off (this may be immediate) then leave it (if you raise it your FPS will go up a bit) re-check to make sure its shooting at about 300 then tune your HPR so its shooting at 285

if you do that it should be working great and be more efficient than before you installed the LPR

halos are good hoppers but nolonger the "king" that roll has been replaced by a few hoppers and now its a personal preference "best" hopper, personally i go with the Dye rotor, fast, tough as nails and tool-less dissasembly not to mention the best shot count for batteries, others go with the Pinocchio, it can hold up to i think it was 300 with its extended nose and does pretty good in all other aspects, still others go with the prophecy, while it still boasts the toolless dissasembaly from what i have seen its the same kind of tool-less a jigsaw puzzle is, prophecy is basically a re-make of the halo with some upgrades

all have some larger pricetags on them so its kind of pick what you want, on the budget side there is the halo too, at $70 it is essentually a tougher version of the empire B2 and the B2 was basically a sound activated, adjustable halo v35 with a rip drive, so for $70 you get a fantastic hopper, may want to look into it if you dont want to break open the piggy bank

lots of people around here are knowegable about the old impulses so if you have any further questions dont hesitate to ask

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for responding.

Yeah it's a cricket with blue. What is HPS? gas? Whatever hopper I get I just don't want to buy something beyond the capabilities of this gun, I'm sure things have come a ways from what this was back in 04-05 era. btw where should I start at with dwell?

Turn the LPR clock wise 1 full turn and if not at 300fps keep turning clock wise to raise the fps to 300?

Then lower the dwell clicks until I notice a drop in FPS?

Raise 5 clicks from there?

Then turn the LPR counter clock wise until the FPS begins to drop and set it?

Then turn HPS? Is that the gas?

Thanks again, this gun used to be the king. I remember going out and using it all day with no issues, the issues began with this LPR. Before the lpr the gun had more kick and was just the same shot every time, accurate as could be. After the LPR I could aim at something the same distance as I used to and the ball just curves around it as if there were a force field around what I was shooting at. I could aim to the side of the object and hit it after a few shots by accident. I need to refresh my knowledge, I don't know what HPS is. I don't know what kind of upgrades I can still get for this gun, I would like an eye but some say you don't need the eye if you have a good loader... Does my board support an eye? If you know of any mods for this thing I would be interested. BTW, here is the link to the LPR I have. http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Parts-Impulse-LPR-Kit/dp/B0000B39PU

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
i meant to say HPR, High Pressure Regulator, in your case the max-flo sorry about that

as for where to start the dwell at you will have to read your manual to find what the factory setting is, i dont remember and you set the velocity with the HPR not the LPR, while the LPR can effect it thats only because it will basically mess with the dwell timing in a sense but the air from your HPR is the air that is put behind the paintball so it will have a greater affect on velocity.

so put your dwell to stock timing, turn your LPR up a full turn (manual should tell you which way is up and which way is down) then set your velocity using the HPR, once that is done set the LPR (i know i said dwell second in my other post but i was just thinking about it and i think doing the LPR second will be a little better) as you turn your LPR down you will have a smoother shot but you will need extra dwell timing to give the marker enough time to cycle properly, as you turn the LPR up it will cycle faster but kick harder, so you have to find that happy median so set the LPR and after that is done start lowering your dwell untill you see the velocity start to drop off over the chrono when you see that put it about 5 clicks higher and that will give you a nice buffer while getting good efficiency

yes your marker can handel an eye, the problem is finding one, unfortunatly i just sold the one i had kicking around but you need the eye, it comes with the eye board and those mount to the lower side of your body (inbetween the body and circut board tray) and if you look on your cricket board you can see a little white conector that the eye board goes into, you will also need a eye cover and right side long detent if you want to install a eye though, the long detent is probably the hardest thing to find now

as for the hopper, yes you want something that will out-preform the marker because that marker is capped at 17bps, say you have a hopper that will load 15, so you start pulling the trigger 17 times a second and it will start chopping, get something that will feed 20-25 minimum, that way when the batteries start going in the hopper you still have that extra room because it will slow down.

as for other upgrades, a $30 J&J barrel is a fantastic addition, they are light and will shoot out breaks very well, clamping feednecks are great, and someone else will have to make sure i have this correct but i believe the impulse and ion have the same threads on the feednecks, i always liked a drop forward on my impulse because the marker is heavy as is, and a on/off asa are great additions, all are still available

and if you can find them a magnetic blade impulse trigger, going to be hard to find but a nice addition, unfortunatly if you want one you have to have your trigger frame drilled and tapped to make it work, i had a local shop do mine and it turned out great

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I generally adjust LPRs by feel (stacked-tube poppets, at least), since most of these markers don't have pressure testers.

As you raise or lower the LPR (with the gun gassed up, obviously), you will notice that the resistance of the bolt changes as you try to push against it. Too low and it'll feel spongy and very easy to push forward; too high and it'll feel rock hard and very resistant to you. You're looking for something of a happy medium: firm but somewhat pliable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts