Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
H'okay, so i started a new topic due to the last one becoming horribly off topic. ANYWAYS, I've settled on getting the Spyder VS1 as my first paint ball marker. I'm wondering i have to buy at the initial purchase, do you know if it comes with a tank or anything or do i have to buy one of each. If so, what's a good beginner hopper and HPA canister that you'd suggest? also, I've heard people aren't fans of the stock Spyder VS1 barrel, is it worth replacing, and which length would be the best for it? (lotsa questions, hope you can help :D)

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
A clamping feedneck(make sure you wit the spyder feednech without tabs)
and a barrel. i suggest the J&J ceramics barrel. they're pretty much amazing and for $30, also affordable. get whichever size you wish, but beyond 16 inches will effect your air effeciency. Basically length does not matter till you get too long.

Look around the b/s/t of pbnation fro a good HPA tank deals. You'll want a high pressure output tank. The bigger the tank the more air it holds, but the bulkier it gets. I use 68cu tanks, but i've sen some bigger that I think I'd be alright with.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
Just don't buy a steel tank. Your a helluva lot better off with CO2 than HPA, and honestly with that gun your better off sticking with anti-siphoned CO2.

The VS1 uses it's own feedneck(the same as the old ion feedneck threads I believe.), bot the tab-less spyder one. CCM has a nice one that action village carries made specifically for the VS1.

a 12" barrel is my preference, but most people like 14". That is a matter of personal preference however.

If it was me, I'd pick up a 12" ultralite or boomstick, a CCM feedneck, a new ASA and rail, and get a couple of 20oz. CO2 tanks anti-siphoned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
One more quick thing, how would i go about buying air, 'cause our field near me has free HPA refills, but i'm going to need something at home :D

Another quick question, is there someone that i might be able to add to my msn so i can just ask questions directly instead of having to post on here n' wait (i'm impatient like that :p )

Another edit, could someone link me to that feedneck made specifically for the VS1

·
Registered
147 Posts
No, you can refill them just like an HPA tank. More places will have CO2 rather than HPA most likely too.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
of course they're refillable LOL.

Most hardware stores can do it for you, as well as alot of academies, and your field. They need to be filled first, just like HPA.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is action village a good place to get all my paintball gear?
i grabbed everything i think i need.

Marker: Spyder VS1 (149.95$)
Hopper: Viewloader Evlution 3 (59.95$)
Feedneck: CCM Spyder VS Clamping No Rise Feed Neck (29.95$)
Tank: Smart Parts 20oz Anti-Siphon CO2 Tank (44.95$)
Barrel: J&J Ceramic Spyder Barrel - 14 Inch (29.95$)

anything missing? like possibly some swabs or something ( i might as well order at the same time.)

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
actionvillage is one the the best sites to buy from. pick up a fuzzy stick and a jerk-through squeegee. they'll save your butt someday. just be careful and fold fold the fuzzy stick. I bought mine and broke it in half that same day because i folded it.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
i would go with an eye force over the evolution but...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
another question, my friend wants to kno why i should go CO2, not HPA? just because of its availability, or anything else?

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
availability and efficiency are it. For a beginner not dedicated solely to playing on a field, HPA is going to mean buying a scuba rig, carrying a HUGE tank, or not getting to play much outside of the field.

think about it like this:

HPA:
150$ or so for a good 68 tank
5$ a fill at a scuba shop
Scuba shop is likely to be 30minutes away
-or-
150$ on a scuba setup
shop still 30 minutes away

About 600-1000 shots top end on that 3k fill. That's given the gun is shooting good....

CO2:
20$ for a tank, 10$ for the stuff to anti-siphon it
-or-
40$ for the SP pre-anti siphoned tank with on off
There's probably a fill station within ten minutes of your home
1000 shots is typical

so 80$ gets you enough air for a case of paint or more without going to the fill station.

On that gun, the consistency gains are negligible, and there are only one or two o-rings to damage...which last forever anyway. It's just not worth the hassle or expense for that particular marker.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
I'm assuming he's starting out by himself, or mostly by himself.

Your still having to fork out the gas to drive to and from a scuba store, your still having to rent a tank, and your still having to buy the fill yoke to do so with. With CO2 it's the initial investment, and that's pretty much it with the wide number of places that fill.

Your making the assumption that everyone is in the same boat as you. It is the rare occasion when one tank alsts that many people all day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, i plan on playing mostly on the field, and the field i go to has free HPA and Co2, so would it be better long term to buy a HPA?

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
YEs an no...do you really have the money to drop on a good quality 68/4500 tank, or are you going to by some crummy steel tank? If your willing to drop 150+ on a tank get the HPA tank.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, 150 i do not have, so i guess Co2 is for me :S, atleast for now.

Marker: Spyder VS1 (149.95$)
Hopper: Viewloader Revolution Eye Force Paintball Loader - Black (69.99$)
Feedneck: CCM Spyder VS Clamping No Rise Feed Neck (29.95$)
Tank: Smart Parts 20oz Anti-Siphon CO2 Tank (44.95$)
Barrel: J&J Ceramic Spyder Barrel - 14 Inch (29.95$)

There is exactly what im buying, any suggestions and mods u would recommend? (also, like squeegees n' stuff.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts