Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I downloaded Linux Ubuntu 6.10 and downloaded the .iso file and burned it onto a cd, restarted my comp, changed it to boot from cd drive, it sits there for a while then says, press f1 to retry or press f2 to go to setup utilities.....i dont get it...help?

·
12,110 Posts
Set your BIOS back to default. A lot of times if you hook up bootable media to your PC you don't even have to change your BIOS, it will just pick it up automatically.

I'd try hitting F1 before that though.

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
F1 has been hit multiple times...haha that didnt work either it just boots to the harddrive...you are supposed to burn that direct file you download on the cd right?? ughhhh...computers hate me..

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just tried that, when i hit burn on the program it says...

exception in cmdBurn_click - > cd:
The system cannot find the file specified.

shud i try to move the file to a difenrent folder?

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Do you have the URL that you downloaded the .iso from? It is possible that the file was corrupted while downloading.

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright i got the cd working now i just need to format my other drive...but this doesnt seem to work like windows 98 like i remember /f disk...whats the way to do it now?

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
You don't need to worry about formatting it. You can do that in the install process when you get to partitioning. Just make sure you pay attention to what you're doing so you don't accidentally partition or format the wrong HD.

·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i got everything working im on it now..but when i try to access my other harddrive on it with windows when im on linux it wont work..it says Unable to mount volume or something like that..any one know?

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
If it's an NTFS partition you won't be able to write to it (well...you may, but it will take some work). Reading the drive, though, you should have no problems. I don't exactly understand the entire extent of your problem, though. What is the actual error text?

You can also manually mount it with a command something like this...
sudo mount /dev/hdXX /mnt

/dev/hd(or sd)XX ending in a1, a2, b1, b2, etc. This is your partition. /mnt or /media/hda1 or /media/sda5 or whatever is going to be the folder you are mounting the partition to. You can access this with Nautilus by browsing to this folder or in your terminal with "cd /mnt" or whatever. Or if you're lazy like me and don't feel like clicking and scrolling to obscure places....alt+f2, nautilus /mnt.

While we're at this, though, I'm going to suggest that you sign up on Ubuntu Forums. I have relatively decent knowledge of Linux, but I'm one of the few on this forum, so our help will only bring you so far. When looking for help that is probably going to be your best bet.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Tony I admire you. I could of never helped him through it. I tryed to help my friend and it wasn't working so I told him to brign his computer back and tell them he is too stupid to own a computer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts