Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that i have fixed my leaky Ion here leads my next question since this forum helped me out more than the others i was on. Here is what i currently own for paintball:

-Smart Parts Ion with upgraded trigger
-Viewloader Revolution Hopper
-1 68/4500 carbon tank (not sure on brand getting hydrod) with a smart parts max flow reg
-1 68/4500 carbon pure energy tank
-1 48/3000 steel empire tank
-1 Cheap ass Mask

my question is what upgrades should i buy, and in what order to start getting more serious into paintball... my first purchase is going to be JT proflex goggles because they are one of the few i can find to fit my giant head and cover my ears and chin. But after that should i get a better hopper, upgrade the ion... whats your guys advice and opinions! i dont have a whole lot of cash and i may buy a gog extcy come tax time...

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
After the ProFlex, then either get something like the Invert Too hopper (very good budget hopper), or just spend that money on playing time!

You can have all the greatest stuff in the world, but without playing experience, it's all for nothing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking a new hopper, me and some friends are looking at getting into amature local torunaments, so it was thinking new hopper, the a virtue board, new bolt, and the body kit that makes it bolt out back, some say keep it stock n just buy the extacy w/blackheart so should I upgrade the ion or keep it stock n use as a back up when I get the extacy?

D

·
0 Posts
1)Mask
2)Hopper
3)Soft Parts
4)Jersey & Pants if you feel you need them.
5)New Marker

Don't bother upgrading an entry level marker -as the money is (always) better off being spent on something of a higher tier.

As for a second marker - Don't worry about it yet. The purchases I've listed should keep anyone without a few hundred dollars burning holes in their pocket busy for quite some time - especially if you're purchasing paint too.

Rushing towards getting the best gear to be had on the field is not only going to drain your bank account - its going to skip over critical experience hurdles a newer player needs to master.

Have you fully broken down and reassembled your marker? Can you troubleshoot and fix the marker on the field? Yes, there's always a friendly gun tech at the place you play - but what good does he do you if he's out sick, or you're maintaining it from home?

This is both a tinkerer's hobby and an active and learned sport - so get out there and start playing - and don't worry so much about acquisitions and newer markers just yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do know how to fix the gun, I just took the whole gun appart, cleaned the noid, replaced 2 of the internal hoses cleaned and lubed the bolt and all the nessicary internals, inspected all the o rings and all that fun stuff so I do know the ion in and out now. I have played for a while just looking for advice on the best way to spend my hard earned $$

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Don't waste money on a board for the Ion, it's fine as is

If there's one upgrade I would highly recommend, it would be a QEV
An Ion with all stock parts with just a QEV for an upgrade will almost maxes out it's performance that it is physically capable of achieving.

Use all the money you saved from not upgrading your Ion to play and scrim other local teams and whatnot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks a lot everyone for the good advice! i was already looking into a qev still think i might get the bolt out back kit so it makes it easier at the field if i run into an issues with my bolt!

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
forget the extcy, its just an ion on the inside. also forget anything made by gog.

mask, proflexes are good, just make sure its a thermal lens and after that i would get a second hopper. the revys have never been known to have strong shells

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
the revys have never been known to have strong shells
The old revvy's with the viewloader logo that had the eyes looking up had ridiculously strong shells!
But the newer revvy's did away with those shells and went to a weaker (more cost effective?) shell

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
forget the extcy, its just an ion on the inside. also forget anything made by gog.

mask, proflexes are good, just make sure its a thermal lens and after that i would get a second hopper. the revys have never been known to have strong shells
what gun for under 400$ would you suggest then, because from what i understand the stock ion is not tournament legal. I also was interested in buying a second gun so the ion can be back up/used by friends if needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The old revvy's with the viewloader logo that had the eyes looking up had ridiculously strong shells!
But the newer revvy's did away with those shells and went to a weaker (more cost effective?) shell
it is an old revy with the big square triangle esque thing for the batterys to go in

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
o gosh, well pretty much everything made id take over something made by the G brothers, if you give them money you can be assured it will just be used to try and screw the paintball industry and players out of more money

that aside, an etek 3 LT, PE etha, an aura, the PRR, the PR, a Mini, and the list goes on with markers i am forgetting im sure

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
that its the worst currently made unbalanced spool. dont take that the wrong way, as a marker its not a bad shooter, its just that everything else that is currently made is better (and a lot of times cheaper or at least the same price)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just stick with your ion. I have had my ion for 4 years now and never had any leaks on it. I regularly clean it. It is a decent gun for the price. To me unless your serious into tournaments then stick with it. Heck back 3 years ago me and my buddy's had a 3 man team and did pretty darn well all of us were shooting ions and we were in an amatuer tourny. Sure other people had better guns. But even if you spend 10k on all of your stuff and have the best if you can't play it does you no good.

I say keep the ion and get good with it. And if you continue playing lots of tourney's upgrade down the road and keep your ion for a backup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts