Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, noob here. I am thinkning about selling / getting rid of my spyder E99 Avant for either an Ion XE, Epiphany, or Redz Ion. Sorry for the "which gun" post, but I am still undecided. Does anyone have personal experience with these guns and advise me on which gun to get. (Leaning toward the Redz Ion). Thanks

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Just FYI, there is a which gun section >.<

But anyways...

Either the Ion XE or the Epiphany IMO
The REDZ Ion isn't the greatest, it only comes with a new body kit, clamping feedneck, PepperStick (great barrel though), and a REDZ bolt (not the best), and I think it also comes with a REDZ Ion trigger.

I'd get the Ion XE over the REDZ Ion because if the BOB feature, making it worlds easier to clean, and after that, you can do the stock bolt mod and make it just about the same as a REDZ bolt, but for free!

I'd get the Epiphany over the REDZ Ion because of the higher operation pressure, and because of the volume control inserts. With the Epiphany, you will never encounter shoot-down, and with a FRAEK Jr. as the stock barrel system, all you would have to do is get a FREAK BoreMaster Kit and you're good to go. A BOB body would also be something to look into for the Epiphany.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm purchasing an Ion XE very soon. For the bolt out back (BOB). Local shop sells them for 185.00 and Ion Regulars for 135.00! thumup:

Redz Ion looks mostly market hype. Not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Adding to that, the BOB kit for the Epiphany is around $60. But everything else Azn said is pretty much on the dot. IMHO, I'd go for the Epiphany and upgrade it as you go along. The stock Freak Jr. barrel is nice, and you can probably find the gun for around $200. I know that compulsivepaintball.com had it for $200 before, and they (compulsive) sell on ebay as well.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
nope, it's just an Ion with a clamping feedneck and a Freak Jr. barrel. Epiphany still is better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, what are the differences between the Ion Xe and the Epiphany? I'm down to those two.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Ion XE has BOB

Epiphany works at higher operating pressure and has volume control inserts

thats really the only difference

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Action Village will most likely have one, thay are they same as the ION body, so get a BOB Ion body and you'll be good to go :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm fairly sure any Ion body kit will work on the Epiphany - someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I read alot of people get the Powerlyte body kit for it's BOB feature. Also, get the .689 and a .687 Freak inserts for it, unless you want to go all out and get the Boremaster kit. It comes with .693 which will cover all paint, but your accuracy will suffer if you always use the .693. You might want to upgrade the feedneck to a QLock or something later down the road as well.

Edit: After reading this, I realized that the Epi will cost 200, the feedneck 35, and the body kit around 60-100. You're close to the price of a better marker with all those features standard. If you have the money, just get a higher level marker. Heck, you could even get an EOS. It's basically a Epi with BOB, and QLock Feedneck. It, like the Epi, comes with a Freak Jr. barrel. However, the EOS is 390 (your local PB shop might cut you a deal thoug).

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are some bodies out there for around 60 also...

The BOB does help to ease cleaning, but you'll eventually have to break the marker all the way down to clean everything. Also, the Epi comes with the Freak barrel system. You could always buy it or another barrel kit seperately if you go with the Ion XE...

What's your price range BTW? We might be able to recommend some other markers that could work for you... If you want.

EDIT: The powerlyte 07 ION Body Kit Complete comes with a feedneck also. I'm sure you could find a better deal the the $85 price listed at: Powerlyte.com - Professional Paintball Products

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You shure that will work for an Epiphany? And I'd like to keep the gun under $250 but the range is $200 - $300. Right now, I'm pretty convinced that the ephiphany or the Ion XE will be best for the money, but I don't mind other suggestions. I got the E99 Avant for christmas in 2004 and Back then i think it cost around $250. So If it could sell the E99 for about $220, I think I would have enough for an epiphany or Ion XE. I think that if I get the ion XE, i will just put in a better barrel and that will be cheaper than buying an Epiphany with a BOB body.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
You aren't going to get $200 off of any older spyder, sorry to say. Try under 100, unless there are some crazy things inside it.

And yes, that body will work on the Epiphany.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You shure that will work for an Epiphany? And I'd like to keep the gun under $250 but the range is $200 - $300. Right now, I'm pretty convinced that the ephiphany or the Ion XE will be best for the money, but I don't mind other suggestions. I got the E99 Avant for christmas in 2004 and Back then i think it cost around $250. So If it could sell the E99 for about $220, I think I would have enough for an epiphany or Ion XE. I think that if I get the ion XE, i will just put in a better barrel and that will be cheaper than buying an Epiphany with a BOB body.

Any used marker that was $250 brand new on the scene is NOT going to fetch you $220, Dreamy McGreedy. :rolleyes:

Try $150 and take best offer. Not being a dick, just realistic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, have been doing more research and now have it down to either an Ion XE with a pepperstick barrel, an Epiphany with a BOB body, or now even maybe an Invert Mini. I won't be playing speedball, mostly woodsball and I'm leaning towards either the XE or the Mini. Im trying to find a place where you can possibly get the Mini for under $300. But I think either of those choices would be perfect. And about the E99 Avant, I think I might be able to sell it for $150 - $180 maybe. I read that it is pretty rare now. So any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
If your playing woodsball pick up something like an SP-1/SP-8.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If your playing woodsball pick up something like an SP-1/SP-8.

An Ion XE or original Ion is good for woodsball too. They're tough. If you happen to go out for some speedball you can hold your own as well, instead of having something like a 98C or MR1 and being outfired all day long.

I'm getting an Ion XE. I play recball, mixture of natural terrain and junky speedball courses. I'm tired of getting pinned down by faster guns and that's one reason I'm moving on from my 98C amongst others.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts