Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here in England we're into the fourth episode of the fouth and final season. Now, a season ago, i woudl probably have wanted to bin the show as much as the next enraged trek fan, but now i'm not so sure. I think that maybe after 3 years the charcters are finally starting to find their feet. The shows really developed, seasons 1 and 2 were inconsistant, poorly written and the storylines were never adaquetly explored. Season 3 was a hotch potch of single episodes and then other which fitted with an long term storyline. Apparently they're going to stick with this arc idea over the course of season 4 - something about 4 or 5 episode story arcs. I feel this is a positive development and that the show shoudl be given another season to get it's act together. Besides, if this finishes what will i watch when Stargate and Atlantis arn't on?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looking like that i can understand why lol j/k

·
Paintball = Life
503 Posts
I think that a bog part of the problem with ST: Enterprise is that it is showed on UPN. UPN is not broadcast all over the country...I happen to live in one such area. Although I do manage to catch it from time to time at my friends house who has Satillite.

The other problem is like you said...the characters have had little or no substance and the episodes have been rather bland. I have seen a few of the new season and I must say that the characters and plots are much more interesting. It really is a shame they are calling it quits after 4 seasons. The show had so much potential to go where the other Treks couldn't due to the rules that existed in the other Treks (i.e. the Prime Directive). Oh well, I shall miss it but there is always syndication.

As for what to watch in place of it....has anyone seen the new Battlestar Glactica? That show kicks ass. It is usually on every Friday night at 9p.m. and 12a.m. central time. It is on a few other times as well but you will need to check your local listings or go to the SciFi channels website.

·
12,110 Posts
Flankergeek said:
Well here in England we're into the fourth episode of the fouth and final season. Now, a season ago, i woudl probably have wanted to bin the show as much as the next enraged trek fan, but now i'm not so sure. I think that maybe after 3 years the charcters are finally starting to find their feet. The shows really developed, seasons 1 and 2 were inconsistant, poorly written and the storylines were never adaquetly explored. Season 3 was a hotch potch of single episodes and then other which fitted with an long term storyline. Apparently they're going to stick with this arc idea over the course of season 4 - something about 4 or 5 episode story arcs. I feel this is a positive development and that the show shoudl be given another season to get it's act together. Besides, if this finishes what will i watch when Stargate and Atlantis arn't on?

YES! I was pised. now I'll never find out if the Xin Di ever get pwned.

I was extremely pissed when it stopped. I'm not that much of a trekkie, but I do know my way around the whole series of shows.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Enterprise Lowdown

Enterprise is the fifth Star Trek television series. Ever since Trek returned to television in 1987, it's been on non stop. From January 1993 to May 1999, we had two Star Trek shows on at once. Since Trek's return in 1987, we've also had a total of 6 movies released, the last of which bombed at the theater ending TNG's theatrical run. Enterprise has been on a ratings slide since the series premiere. A lot of casual viewers don't know of the show's existance due to poor UPN coverage. Most Trek fans were turned off by the show, becuase it didn't match their "prequel vision." :rolleyes: The show got a lot better with Season 3's Xindi/Expanse arc. This year, we've had stand-alone episodes, two-parters, and trilogies. We still have 6 episodes to go - a stand-alone, two-parter, another two-parter, and a one-hour series finale. UPN cancelled the show due to poor ratings and changing the network's demographic target. I've no problem with UPN cancelling the show, since UPN is a crappy network. That's not really an issue. The issue is that Paramount won't even consider shopping the show to another network nor syndication. They're pushing this "let's go on a break" crap, which I think will do more harm to the franchise than good. People haven't lost interrest due to too much Trek, they've lost interrest due to either not knowing about the current series, or being turned off by the first or second season.

If Trek is to continue, I say do one more season for SCIFI, SpikeTV, or syndication, then end with a proper two-hour finale. Then go on break till the new movie comes out. Set it in theEnterprise time period, the 2150's, and do a story about the Romulan War. If it's a success, do two sequels back to back, giving us a Romulan War trilogy. If done right, both fans and casual viewers would love the trilogy. Follow the movie (or trilogy) up with Series 6 either durring the early days of the Federation or some unkown era of the Star Trek saga.

·
That's Hot
3,914 Posts
I liked every other Star Trek series except ST:Enterprise. Fact is, it's too predictable and doesn't flow with the other series that occur in the future.

Not to mention it was so irregular coming out of UPN in Dayton that I never watched it. My dad has been able to catch it once in a while, but even he hasn't been too impressed.

My favorite ST series is definitely Deep Space Nine. Between the Dominion War, development of an entire new quadrant (Gamma) and all kinds of other plot twists, it beats out all the others. Next fav is definitely TNG, and then Voyager from there.

Yes, I'm a ST nerd. I've got the Star Trek encyclopedia at home, and know quite a bit about random stuff on the shows. Cool thing is that Gene Roddenberry, the creator back in the 60's, created things like the communicators and whatnot. And look at us now- there are so many technologies that appeared in the shows (in concept, at least) long before they became a reality.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Actually, Malcolm Reed, the Enterprise security/tactical officer, invented the phaser's predeccessor - the phase pistol. Thus, one could conclude that the phaser was inented by a man. thumup:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i watched the origional ST with my mom. I loved that show.

Havent really watched any of the new ones.

·
Paintball = Life
503 Posts
chromekilla said:
yeah, a woman definatly invented phasers

no penis possesing man would consider them a weapon
You may not want to start an argument about such things in here. :) There is so much literature out about Trek technology it is uncanny. I'm a bit of a Trek nerd myself so believe me when I tell you that there is something written somewhere about every piece of the Trek universe. It is quite amazing how many books have been devoted to a universe that doesn't even exist. And I'm sure that most of the Trekkers in here have read most of those books. So needless to say there is a plethera os useless knowledge out there that these folks will use to defend Trek. Just a friendly warning.

Although I do agree that lightsabers (much more interesting and look so much cooler) are better than phasers.... thumup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sure, lightsabers are cooler than phasers, but...

Can you heat rocks to keep warm with a lightsaber?
Can you stun an entire room of people with a lightsaber without hurting them?
Can you disintigrate people or objects with a lightsaber?

Lightsabers are just swords of light, phasers are tools. wave:

·
That's Hot
3,914 Posts
xmagman said:
You may not want to start an argument about such things in here. :) There is so much literature out about Trek technology it is uncanny. I'm a bit of a Trek nerd myself so believe me when I tell you that there is something written somewhere about every piece of the Trek universe. It is quite amazing how many books have been devoted to a universe that doesn't even exist. And I'm sure that most of the Trekkers in here have read most of those books. So needless to say there is a plethera os useless knowledge out there that these folks will use to defend Trek. Just a friendly warning.

Although I do agree that lightsabers (much more interesting and look so much cooler) are better than phasers.... thumup:

Actually, I stick to the canon stuff. The novels and freelance books on ST have never appealed to me...I just watch, read up and know the stuff that you actually see on the movies or all the series.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts