Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GNO i think that i have seen that before...... will the parts interchange? how long have they been around?

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
Smart Parts? What happened? I haven't played in a long time. But I had a Shocker 03 04 and 05. My first electronic gun was an Impulse. Smart parts was the ****. They did wonders for the sport.

·
It's 420 somewhere.
53 Posts
GNO i think that i have seen that before...... will the parts interchange? how long have they been around?
As far as I can tell they will not be interchangeable. No clue dude.

Smart Parts? What happened? I haven't played in a long time. But I had a Shocker 03 04 and 05. My first electronic gun was an Impulse. Smart parts was the ****. They did wonders for the sport.
IMPULSE50

why do people hate on sp?
Just search around here and other paintball forums and you'll find out why. As for me, I dislike them because after playing for 1 year and 1/2, I finally decided to buy a gun and I chose the Vibe. After playing with it 3 times I sent it in for service but by that time they were having problems and they started closing down or whatever. I got it back after a few months with no reply from them whatsoever. ( At least they fixed it which allowed me to sell it.) Now I was left with a marker that would basically become obsolete. The least they could have done was let their customers(players & stores) know what was really going on instead of saying everything was fine. Instead they just gave us the middle finger.

EDIT: Sorry for the links, I'm not trying to promote or anything. I'm indifferent to .50cal right now, but if I ever get interested "they" will not get my support.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
I think SP may have been corrupted over some time or something. I had a lot of earlier experience with them. I played on a team in 02ish that was sponsored by SP but even after that I always had good luck with their products. And I bought almost every mod for 2 of my shockers and no telling how many times I messed with them.

I liked SP a lot. simple markers without a lot of frills ( At Least thats how it used to be ) Hell check out the old shocker its just a single tube gun with a reg and a frame.

-wes.

PS The SP Site is still up and functioning it seems to me. And they stopped making the Impulse back when I was still playing I can't believe someone made another one.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I believe the new impulse and the 50 movement was the last things SP tried to save their business. However, it obviously didn't work.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I think SP may have been corrupted over some time or something. I had a lot of earlier experience with them. I played on a team in 02ish that was sponsored by SP but even after that I always had good luck with their products. And I bought almost every mod for 2 of my shockers and no telling how many times I messed with them.

I liked SP a lot. simple markers without a lot of frills ( At Least thats how it used to be ) Hell check out the old shocker its just a single tube gun with a reg and a frame.

-wes.
Yeah, they're a bunch of upstanding citizens. :rolleyes:

One of SP's first products - the All American barrel - was a design reputedly stolen from one of their own team members, who had designed it in his home machine shop. The team member quit the AA's immediately after SP began manufacturing and marketing it as their own.

Despite the fact that many manufacturers were making spiral-ported barrels, SP managed to patent it and threw cease-and-desist letters and lawsuits around the industry. To date, Palmers Pursuit Shop remains one of the only other companies offering spiral-ported barrels - Glenn Palmer being one of the very few people who had no problem telling SP to go to hell (K2, also, after they bought WGP).

They stole the original Shocker design from PVI and put that company out of business.

They sent their AA's to tournaments with cheater boards that used a 'Turbo' mode that they argued was semi-auto legal.

They lied and cheated their way to a patent that umbrella-covered all electros by revising the original Shocker patent 5 years after the fact (which shouldn't have even been theirs to begin with), and knew they needed to set a legal precedent to collect royalties from the industry for their bogus patent, so they went after the weakest company they could: ICD. ICD was never much more than a mom and pop manufacturing company in Idaho, with history dating back to the late 80's and the Line SI Bushmaster, so they didn't have much money for legal fees, never mind the fact that it was common knowledge in the industry that ICD's owner, Jerry Dobbins, had just had major back surgery and wouldn't be able to even defend himself in court. After winning that lawsuit and another against AKA (another mom and pop manufacturing company, this one in Indiana), they blackmailed the entire industry for patent royalties. Beyond their ill-gotten gains from royalties, I can't even imagine how much they've stifled innovation. How many small manufacturers have elected not to try their hand at paintball or not to release an electro once they factored the cost of SP royalties into their profit margins? Start-up is already incredibly risky without having someone else's hand in the cookie jar.

like many other manufacturers, SP had cash-flow issues last year. Ironic, since they're the ones largely responsible for the market stagnation. Their solution: market something 'new' and hype the hell out of it with shill advertising to swindle the public into buying in before they find out how lackluster it is. This was their so-called '.50 cal revolution.' :rolleyes: .50 cal failed in the '80s and failed in the '90s. Don't even try to convince me that I should spend my money on inferior performance today. It was nothing more than a desperation move to make a quick buck, and I'm glad to see it's dying as fast as it started.

I'm not even going to go into their products. Some work better than others, that's for sure.

SP is local to me. I'd love to support a local business, but cannot in any good conscience give any backing to the dirty, rotten, thieving, swindling, conniving bastards that are the Gardner brothers. I feel bad for the employees' loss of jobs, but our sport is far better off without the Gardners in it. They've done enough irreparable damage to paintball.

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
I'm sure every company ever has their caspers. SP just was a little more obvious about it. No matter how wholesome and right you think another company is. They are just as conniving and dirty as SP was.

That's just ignorant to say one company is less conniving than another. It's business.

-wes.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'm sure every company ever has their caspers. SP just was a little more obvious about it. No matter how wholesome and right you think another company is. They are just as conniving and dirty as SP was.

That's just ignorant to say one company is less conniving than another. It's business.
I'm sorry that you think that. Have fun with your "They did wonders for the sport" mentality.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the good things about sp is that they are affordable. where else can you find a spool for 169.00?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I weary of debating this with people. SP is everything that is wrong with our sport - the Gardners have been nothing but a cancer to paintball. I wish we could erase their entire history, from stealing the AA barrel and Shocker from their rightful inventors, to making the first cheater board and their bogus spiral porting and electro patents knocking mom and pop businesses out of paintball and ushering in an era of big business and market stagnation.

Don't just take my word for it... Here are a couple quick google results:

Tinker's Guild Tech Forum: Doc's Position:
www.vm68.com: Smart Parts Will Destroy Paintball
Tinker's Guild Tech Forum
Tinker's Guild Tech Forum: Ok Smart Part Is Going To Far This Time!!
Tinker's Guild Tech Forum: Smart Parts Lawsuit- Questions-

I think you'll get the idea.

·
ericdkillhound
139 Posts
so you put a link to one guy's opinion that is the same as yours. some of you guys are the same kind of people i have problems with when they say airsoft is better than paintball and compare the two by looks, but what they really do is take the best stuff from their opinion and crappiest from the other and tip toe around the true facts. SP did some crap, but they also did some good things for the sport. And you know what, most companies trying to make money and sustain themselves are cutthroat. SP is a company, some of their products ae good, but as a company, like any other, they are in it for the business and money not making "EVERYONE" happy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts