Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is the right section, but I was wondering if it was possible ot re-thread a barrel(say change a SP threaded DW fibur barrel to a cocker threaded DW fibur barrel).

·
Registered
45 Posts
i highly doubt it but....with enough free....time...maybe.

(my dad builds helicopters and he says its not possible to rethread something with different threads without spending some money.)

·
bow chicka
2,640 Posts
I think it would be best to just get an adapter. If thats what you were trying to avoid then you will probly be out of luck. Either that or sell the wrong threaded barrel and buy a new one.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was thinking about just doing either of those, but to my knowledge a machinist could just take a thread guage and check it then swap the threading or rather match them up. I will prolly just get an adapter. I have heard they kill accuracy though, is that true?

·
bow chicka
2,640 Posts
I dont really know, ive never used one. I know that there is probly a better chance that accuracy will be affected if you get a bad one but i have never used one so i couldnt tell ya.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is where I stand as well. I think I'll just make a new thread in the barrels section on that topic.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
you might be able to weld over and fill all the gaps in the threads, and than get the appropriate die and cut new threads, but that's just an idea, not sure how that might work in real life ;)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meh I'll talk to a machinist, there are plenty around here.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
depends on what threads you start wiht....doubt it because the imp threaded section is the same diameter, but shorter...

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Yeah I was thinking about just doing either of those, but to my knowledge a machinist could just take a thread guage and check it then swap the threading or rather match them up. I will prolly just get an adapter. I have heard they kill accuracy though, is that true?
I want to say no you can't rethread but again I'm not a skilled machinest.

My understanding is that those adapters aren't very well made which is why they suck.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah looks like I am stuck to getting a new barrel, which sucks because that DW is one of the first 10 to come offa the chopping block, it doesn't even have the logo on it(not because it was removed, it was made before they started putting their logo on it).

·
Registered
41 Posts
maybe if the threds were bigger to start with. but if there smaller... i highly doubt it

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zThey are bigger.

·
Registered
41 Posts
then I would totaly try it but be carefull

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I won't need ot be carefull, the machinist I get to do it will though.

·
Boom Chika Wha Wha!!!
245 Posts
The question has to be asked. Is there enough material to remove to make the new threads.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just had an idea, couldn't they make a cast of the cocker threads, then put like a mold over the area where the SP threads are then cut the cocker threads outta that solid piece?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts