Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And one of the most random that I've had yet. One of the local cops was in pizza slut for lunch today. We got on the subject of careers, and he was asking how my job search was going. Honestly, it sucks right now, and after my trip to the er, I can't afford any more visits like that. I need something with benefits that don't suck. And the way the economy is going, I don't see any career change in my near future because every job I've chased down has turned up nothing. The local police department needs a full time officer, and he told me to look into it, and if I was serious, I could ride along in the next few days to see what its like. Normally, I'd turn this down because it isn't something I'd be interested in. But, I'm sick and tired of my current job, and I've been in this epic state of suckiness for about a month now (/emo rant). I dunno, I'm needing advice on this one. Yea, I never pictured myself upholding the law, but I'm at a wall currently. I dunno-if you guys were offered this job, would you take it and why?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
You never know until you try it man. Ride around with him a few days see if you like it.

I would love to be a cop. They have great benefits, everyday is different. I could drive around most of the day. Help people, stop stupid people, save a life. I would say look into it.

D

·
0 Posts
I dunno, here you can't just be offered a job as a cop.. couple years of schooling and then into a select training school after that..

but, ****, yeah id be a cop.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
You never know until you try it man. Ride around with him a few days see if you like it.

I would love to be a cop. They have great benefits, everyday is different. I could drive around most of the day. Help people, stop stupid people, save a life. I would say look into it.
i pretty much have the same thoughts. i'd personally give it a go if i had the chance. not my top priority though.

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
I thought about it, and after doing a few ride a long's and watching a couple of my buddies get MIP'd I decided I couldn't do it. I could never be a town sheriff but I could be a highway partolmen.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
I dunno, here you can't just be offered a job as a cop.. couple years of schooling and then into a select training school after that..

but, ****, yeah id be a cop.
Actually you'd just have to go into the police academy. 16 weeks or something? I don't think years of schooling are needed(for most police precincts). I may be wrong...though having at least some college credits is a plus...and work experience(in most sectors) can substitute for college credits).

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
Around here Statey's can start at $50-70k with the right education. Not sure what the city cops make, but I know when I see them driving around their WRX's and TT's they have to be making good money. There's a lot of police detail work around here (I've heard they make anywhere from $30-$45/hr).

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
<--- Used to work as an officer and from experience its definitely a calling, not just something to get by with. If you want details pm me.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the town that i live in is pretty crap-tastic, so becomming a town cop isn't really that hard to do. However, they do send you off to the academy and pay for it for you. I'm just fed up with my current job. This would add some excitment to my career, and I've always wanted to help out those in need. I'm a people person, and I don't want to be stuck behind a desk all my life. That, and I would be able to get my foot in the door to become a state trooper. Even though I'm not a big person, I can still pass all the physical aspects of the test.

2 legit, shoot me a pm about your experiences

D

·
0 Posts
Punk(I forget your name sorry broski), check it. What have you got goin for you right now? The way I look at it, why not? It sounds like a pretty good gig. Why don't you go on a ride-along and pick a couple cops' brains. See what they have to say. If worst comes to worst, get certified and wait it out for a statie spot. The way the economy is right now bro, it's hard to get anything. I've been trying to get my buddy in at my job with me and they put a freeze on all hiring. NJ isn't hiring any more police officers, complete freeze.

Think of it as a chance to try something new. Sounds like a legit job compared to the pizza slut. Ya know?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
To contribute to the original point of the thread, go for a few ride alongs. It definitely cant hurt. You might find out that being a cop is something you have a lot of fun with.

D

·
0 Posts
yeah, seriously guys, we all already know that buddha's an idiot, we don't need to discuss it here..

D

·
0 Posts
Actually you'd just have to go into the police academy. 16 weeks or something? I don't think years of schooling are needed(for most police precincts). I may be wrong...though having at least some college credits is a plus...and work experience(in most sectors) can substitute for college credits).
That's kinda crazy that that's all it takes.. I guess it must be pretty competitive then, or?

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
That's kinda crazy that that's all it takes.. I guess it must be pretty competitive then, or?
Depends on where your at. Chicago, or a like town I would say very. Rural area, small town Nebraska here has probably never turned anyone away. They have been downsizing lately though, it's been nice.

thumup: to pierced for laying the mod hammer!

D

·
0 Posts
Word pierced.

In NYC they are practically begging people to become cops. You can retire after 25 years, get ridiculous money, and amazing benefits with a full pension package.

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
I would definitely look at becoming a police officer if the pay wasn't so dismal. I realize that this kind of job isn't about the pay, but less than $30,000 a year is barely enough to survive on.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Yea, for most low level departments college education is not required. Even for state police they often require very little college education (PA only requires 60 credits). There is a big debate in the CJ field as to whether or not higher education should be required. On one hand, people who apply with a higher educational background often make less violent/confrontational officers, as they are more likely to naturally be adept at force de-escalation techniques. On the other hand, requiring a major degree alienates a lot of people who would also do well in the field, like recent military vets, minorities, and those in a lower socioeconomic status. Police departments also like people with less education as they take very well to training and they tend to want to make the most difference in the neighborhood they live in. It goes back and forth.

Anyway, the typical application process to be a police officer is pretty rigorous stateside. It takes about 6 months on average, with multiple written tests, a physical test, a psychological evaluation, a background check, a polygraph test, and finally a personal interview. If one does pass all those things, then they are subjected to a 16 week academy. So, it could take the better part of a year to become a full time police officer in most places. After that you are on probation for at least a year, while being observed. So, on average, it could take two years before you're really a full fledged officer with all the opportunities for money and advancement. A lot of people can't or don't want to wait that long, so that kind of helps to wean out those that may not be desirable as officers.

With that said, police officers don't often get great pay (State police in PA make $60,000 a year on average with overtime), but the benefits are often very good. Healthcare for you and your family, good life insurance, free gym membership, free use of department psychologists, retirement with full pension and benefits, opportunities for advancement and higher pay, and departments will often pay for higher education and specialization. With that in mind, there are a lot of people looking at the criminal justice field now. Especially since overall street crime in most areas has been on the decline since the 90's making it a significantly safer occupation than it used to be (though, obviously, it still isn't the safest profession out there).

I think it's a field worth looking into....then again, I'm a criminologist, so I might be biased.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts