Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately I've been noticing that in an increasing number of stores throughout my area, you must be at least 18 to purchase energy drinks. For clarification, this is due to changing store policies rather than local or state legislation. I'm just wondering what PbF's collective opinion is on restricting the sale of caffeine to minors.

Some food for thought:
The average 8 oz. cup of coffee contains 100mg of caffeine.

The average 24 oz. energy drink has about 220 mg of caffeine, depending on the brand.

Obviously, coffee is far more potent than typical energy drinks. Does this mean that, if caffeine-powered energy drinks cannot be sold to minors, then coffee should not be sold to minors either?

What would happen if places like Starbucks started ID'ing you for a cappuccino?

Should other caffeine-containing products like Chocolate, Soda, and non-drowsy OTC medication be controlled?

If it eventually comes into federal law that minors are not allowed to purchase caffeinated products, would decaf versions also become illegal? (Much in the same fashion that minors cannot purchase non-alcoholic beer).

Come on, let's start a discussion.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
I'm see the point. You don't need that and it sure doesn't do your body any good.

Don't forget coffee doesn't have nearly as much sugar as an energy drink.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
But another thing you have to take into consideration is that it's not only caffeine. Energy drinks can do some messed up things to you.

EX: Earlier this year my mom had an appointment with her doctor pretty early in the morning. She stopped at the gas station and grabbed one of the large Rockstars. During her appointment the doctor informed her that her heart was skipping a beat and made her wear a heart monitor for a day. In her opinion and in the doctor's, it was the energy drink.

I doubt this kind of thing would have happened if caffeine was the only "active" ingredient.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
Rockstar is also an alcoholic energy drink.
i'm confused as to whether you're saying that all rockstars have alcohol in them, or rockstar also has a version of their drink that has alcohol in them. Normal rockstars dont, but they have an alcoholic version called "rockstar 21" i believe, which does have alcohol

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
So lately I've been noticing that in an increasing number of stores throughout my area, you must be at least 18 to purchase energy drinks. For clarification, this is due to changing store policies rather than local or state legislation. I'm just wondering what PbF's collective opinion is on restricting the sale of caffeine to minors.

Some food for thought:
The average 8 oz. cup of coffee contains 100mg of caffeine.

Your facts are off.
The average cup of coffee is 80mg.

The average 24 oz. energy drink has about 220 mg of caffeine, depending on the brand.
who drinks 24oz energy drinks? the only one i know of is monster XXL. most are 16oz or 8.3 oz. those 16oz drinks have 160mg of caffeine or more.

Obviously, coffee is far more potent than typical energy drinks. Does this mean that, if caffeine-powered energy drinks cannot be sold to minors, then coffee should not be sold to minors either?
not obviously, unless you drink your coffee extremely black. and yes, if they make caffeine a controlled substance for minors, then coffee would not be sold to minors either

What would happen if places like Starbucks started ID'ing you for a cappuccino?

Should other caffeine-containing products like Chocolate, Soda, and non-drowsy OTC medication be controlled?
this is silly. the amount of caffeine in soda is substantially less than soda or chocolate

personally, i would not be opposed to regulating caffeinated drinks to people 16 years or 14 years and above. kids have no business drinking coffee or energy drink. sodas are a big part of why people are fatter and fatter, but thats a separate issue. i think caffeine-heavy drinks should be regulated for kids under 16.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
One of the kids on our counties middle school football team drank an energy drink before a game to help him out. Shortly after, he ran I think an 80 yard touch down, and after he ran that, he went to the sidelines and passed out. His heart was beating at an unremarkable rate, and he could have died.

For that reason, I think kids shouldn't drink energy drinks, or anyone for that matter.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I don't think that it should be regulated necessarily, but since people are stupid and constantly make bad decisions, I wouldn't totally oppose regulation, either.

It comes down to making wise decisions—something most people suck at. I've seen kids drink 2-3 XXL Monsters day after day. Hell... I can only hope it has disastrous effects. Natural selection, my friends.

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
This is stupid......when do we just let people make their ow mistakes. Natural selection ftw.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
People have the opportunity to **** up and the opportunity to do well. You might as well give them that opportunity.

Mistakes are what we learn from, when you strip people of the ability to make mistakes, you strip them of learning experiences.

Regulating this and regulating that simply because it "might" have harmful effects when people go overboard, just takes a step on a slippery slope that leads to governmental regulation on every facet of life.

A parent not having the common sense to teach and instill in their child the concept of moderation does not make the issue a government matter.

I'd like the opportunity to make mistakes thank you.

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
People have the opportunity to **** up and the opportunity to do well. You might as well give them that opportunity.

Mistakes are what we learn from, when you strip people of the ability to make mistakes, you strip them of learning experiences.

Regulating this and regulating that simply because it "might" have harmful effects when people go overboard, just takes a step on a slippery slope that leads to governmental regulation on every facet of life.

A parent not having the common sense to teach and instill in their child the concept of moderation does not make the issue a government matter.

well put

·
<3 I love fat chicks <3
5,188 Posts
Oh **** this.

I hate how the answer our government has to every problem is illegalize (is that a word?)/ put regulations on it.

Why don't we have the right to put into our body what we wish when it causes no one around us harm?

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Oh **** this.

I hate how the answer our government has to every problem is illegalize (is that a word?)/ put regulations on it.

Why don't we have the right to put into our body what we wish when it causes no one around us harm?
democrats.

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
Oblivious 'Republicans' (I'll play the political party game for your benefit) who don't appreciate the grounds upon which this country was established... "...There are again two methods of removing the causes of faction: the one, by destroying the liberty which is essential to its existence; the other, by giving to every citizen the same opinions, the same passions, and the same interests. It could never be more truly said than of the first remedy that it was worse than the disease..." --Madison, No. 10.

Federalists FTW.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

awesome post!

IMO this toic is dumb as ****, letta ***** get a ****in energy drink, make cigarettes illegal.... damn...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Oblivious 'Republicans' (I'll play the political party game for your benefit) who don't appreciate the grounds upon which this country was established... "...There are again two methods of removing the causes of faction: the one, by destroying the liberty which is essential to its existence; the other, by giving to every citizen the same opinions, the same passions, and the same interests. It could never be more truly said than of the first remedy that it was worse than the disease..." --Madison, No. 10.

Federalists FTW.
Actually I would argue that both parties are guilty of this, not just Republicans. For instance, you look at the Congress itself. When they vote on an issue, you have members of Congress voting several times, for other people. There are more votes on an issue than there are people in the room at the time of the vote. In the Congress's own rules it forbids multiple voting or voting for other people.

Personally, a Congress that is willing to not only violate it's own rules, but the sanctity of voting and democracy for the sake of "necessity" is most probably willing to trample on the the idea of liberty itself...out of "necessity"

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
I said "I'll play the political party game for your benefit" for a reason, and that is precisely it... I affiliate with neither confederacy, as both are guilty, in many instances, of many offenses to the values which I find myself swelled by.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
I think the problem is not just how much caffeine is in these drinks, but how they're consumed. Kids are drinking them by the dozens to stay up and play video games. I've even seen some kid go through a case of red bull during a paintball tournament. People don't usually consume coffee like that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts