Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I Vore You
13,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, this is strictly a hypothetical.

Let's pretend for a second that someone had subwoofers stolen from their car about 10 years ago. I would assume someone in this situation would file a claim about such a thing.

Now, fast forward to now, let's say a person, unaffiliated with the person who stole the subs in question, needed to have the said subs installed. If for whatever reason the place installing the subs were to run the numbers through the theft database, would it even come up being that they were stolen 10 years ago?

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
I have never heard of a shop running numbers on equip unless it was just something that looked suspicious.

I would think it would still be in the system if it was reported stolen but it would only come up if they gave them the serial numbers to put in the report. Which most people are too lazy to keep record of. With out numbers you cant track ****.

I would just have jimbo down yanda way hook it up if I were concerned about the numbers being run (hypothetically that is).

·
I Vore You
13,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to get ahold of Jimbo but apparently there aren't many Jimbos in town.

I figure the chance of the numbers being run are extremely low, especially if I go to a place that knows me. I figure they'll just hook it up without asking questions and whatnot.

Although I think there is something or other saying that after 7 years, nothing can really be done. Not positive on that though.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Well they cant run the numbers if it doesn't have any ;)

Alot of equip I have/had just had the serial numbers printed on a sticker not even imprinted in the casing or anything. Which is why I engrave my drivers license number in my stuff.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
As a criminologist I should turn you in, but I don't have any idea where you live, so I'll let you slide this time.;)

Anyway, find out what the statute of limitations is on receiving stolen property in your area/ town/state. That could put you in the clear legally.

Otherwise, I don't think anyone will bother you. Unless someone recognizes the subs, the shop is raided looking for stolen property, or you send them back to the company for repair work I doubt anyone will even look at the serial numbers, never mind figure out they're stolen. Most people don't even write down the serial numbers of their stuff anyway, so the police probably have a description of the subs at best. (Unless they're a lunatic like me and write down the serial numbers of everything they own. :rolleyes:) I really don't think you'll have a problem.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Car audio hardly ever gets recovered, you should be fine. The only database it can be ran through is police databases anyways, which most the time they won't even give a ****. 10 years later I'd say they wouldn't do anything about it.

Just hook them up yourself. It's easy.

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
10 year old subs? If you want a system I've got one I want rid of.

But, you should be fine man. My shop never checks unless it matches description of something we know has been stolen. We have a white sheet of customers that reported stolen stuff that goes back 2-3 years but only 5% of them have numbers.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I can aks kweschun?

Why in the hell are you so worried about cobwebb infested subwoofers being checked anyways? Most likeley, the reason they would check em is because they are older than Jesus himself and are wondering why someone would want to put old papercone subs in their car in the first place...lol jk

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I can aks kweschun?

Why in the hell are you so worried about cobwebb infested subwoofers being checked anyways? Most likeley, the reason they would check em is because they are older than Jesus himself and are wondering why someone would want to put old papercone subs in their car in the first place...lol jk
Older stuff is great. I have Cerwin Vega Cabinet speakers in my room that are probably almost 25 - 30 years old and they sound amazing. Unfortunately the foam has torn so I need to get them redone. I think I paid $20 for them at a garage sale. Yes I would much rather have some Klipsch speakers, but I'm not paying $500/speaker when my $20 set sounds great.

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
I can aks kweschun?

Don't get me started on aluminum cone speakers. i hate them

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
If I remember correctly, paper cone subs are actually supposed to be the best sounding subs, but the least durable. No idea why, but I always hear that from car audio guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts