• desktop

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
chicks dig scars baby!
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which do you like better? right now i have a lap top....but its old and kinda crappin out on me slowly but surely so my mom said shed get somethin new for me since now her company gets dicscounts on HP stuff and she asked me which one id want. so i was just wondering which you guys prefer and why? i dont travel much with my laptop now....actually i never do. but i guess thatd be a plus of having one. lmk, thanks.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I prefer desktops. They can be cheaper and twice as good. But it really depends on the situation. If you are just going to have it at home get a desktop. What I am going to do is get another desktop for here(my dorm) and just use a Jump/flash drive for homework and all that crap.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Desktop.

I laugh at all the kids at school with their laptops. They usually never take them anywhere, and often talk about how it's full of files or too slow for something or another.

And then there's the kids that have a laptop, and strap a keyboard, mouse, and external monitor to it. I can't help but think why did you even pay extra for the laptop.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
Reasons I prefer a desktop currently:
1. Right now, I live in a house and still attend highschool so there's really no need for a laptop because I never pack up my computer and take it elsewhere (same reason i rock the 21" CRT, i've got the desk space why not use it?).

2. All of the LAN parties in town are at my house...

3. I've got quite a few peripherals connected to it. (5.1 Surround, Firewire, Dual CD/DVD burners)

4. And of course, overclocking is good :tup

I do have a laptop that sits in my room that I never use tho. Ever hear of a GRiD 1680? It's nice, Win95(somehow??), 8 megs of ram, 200 or 300 mb HD, black and white screen, 14.4k modem, pcimica slot. It's a nice piece of machine.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
I'm starting to wish that i had a laptop. I'm in college and dont' play games anymore. my computer i built myself is now 4 years old, games are getting to be too much for it anyhow.

I'd really like the versitillity of a laptop, considering anywhere i go on campus i can get wireless networking. That means i can study in libraries, and not have to worry about computer labs (which i hate going to) but I don't have the money, and i wouldn't get enough by selling this computer I currently use to cover the price of a new laptop

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
You can't say either is better. Each has its ups and downs. For college, laptop is the obvious choice, but for performance and value, you can't beat a desktop PC.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
desktop. Definitly for their power. If you like games, watch movies, or just do email and word, a desktop can do it better and faster. Hell, i got a free copy of fear b/c i have the only pc that can run it.

Also not only are laptops slow, they have that annoying mousepad, their keyboards suck, hard to upgrade, the battery can screw you over, but when are you going to use it at school? To take notes? What do you think a notebook is for? You're doing group projects and such? Hell some other idiot probably has a laptop and will bring it, use a flashdrive to keep up to date on your groups files.

Their is no reason for a laptop.

I am waiting for the ultra mobile pcs to hit their 2nd generation, then i'll see if they are for me.

·
^_^
688 Posts
Hmm I'd say laptop but its a personal choice.

My current machines play every game I want to play, Oblivion, Battlefield 2 et al with ease. Its not like the old days where you had to sacrifice oodles of performance for portability.

Case in point you can pick up a Core 2 (Merom) Laptop with a 17" widescreen and a 7900GTX for about $1800, a similar desktop could cost you the same amount.

While a machine like that isn't exactly the most portable or have the best battery life, its alot easier to lug around than even something the size of say a Shuttle HTPC, or a Mac Mini etc etc.

My current favorite machine is the Asus W3J, 13.3" Widescreen, 4 hours of battery life a Radeon X1600, DVD-RW, Core Duo, 2 Gigs of Ram, a 120 gig hdd, built in webcam, WiFi, Bluetooth... all in a incredibly portable 4lb form factor. Probably one of the best compromise machines out there.

·
don't drop the soap
3,895 Posts
I have both, and trust me, get a desktop unless you really need to move around a bunch and for some reason need it in class or something. Otherwise Laptops are piles of **** that will give you nonstop problems.

·
Registered
986 Posts
i got a lap top soley for college and trust me (and any college student will agree) having 5 people in your dorm to work on a project sucks... take the lap top and your group some where else with alittle more space. its been said though it is a matter of preference

1 - 20 of 22 Posts