Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I'm sure you guys remember the thread about my girlfriends desktop ****ing up, well she swapped it off for a laptop shortly after that happened. Yesterday she calls me and says her laptop wont boot up. Well I bring it home and check it out and if you boot it in normal mode, safe mode, safe mode with networking it will get to the windows xp logo the re-boot. If you boot it in safe mode with command prompt I get these messages and then it reboots.

So what do you guys think? Memory shot?

·
Registered
588 Posts
no, i think the windows installation is just screwed completely. A re-install should fix everything.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok now on to my next problem, she does not have a recovery disc. Am I pretty SOL and going to have to "get" windows, all the drivers, and re-install like back in the day before we had handy recovery discs?

·
Registered
588 Posts
You might be able to get the manufacturer of the laptop to send you the disks that originally came with it. If not, you can install any other xp disk and find the drivers for everything online.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I got the recovery cd and tried to run it and came up with another problem. The cd boots fine and loads setup but when I select the option to install XP or repair I get this message.

I ran the HDD test in the BIOS menu and it checked out fine.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
the correct answer: linux.

lolz jk. i don't know 100% on windows, but sometimes it's just luck. try to install it 4 or 5 times, sometimes it just clicks and runs fine. at least it did for me, i had the same types of problems getting vista off my comp and putting xp on (my hp, but it wasn't nearly as bad as what you are dealing with).

EDIT: you might want to physically check the hard drive too, make sure it hasn't loosened it's connection or something. If it's physically damaged on the inside (like the read/write head or a scratched platter) then you are pretty much boned till you buy a new one.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked all the connections and tried doing the setup a few more times and no luck yet.

Shouldn't there be a way for me to get to a command prompt and do a manual format then run the restore disc?

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK i got a command prompt in windows during safe mode and that didn't help any (wouldn't let me format). Then I ran a boot disc with format com on it and it still wont give me an option to format C:\.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this is what I get if I press enter when knoppix first starts.

this is what I get if I press f3 and start in failsafe mode.

I tried all of these cheatcodes and still got the same kernel panic message.
Code:
boot: knoppix vga=0
boot: knoppix acpi=off pnpbios=off noapic noapm
boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3
boot: failsafe debug -b 3
I also tested the cd on 2 other laptops and it booted up with no problems on those computers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts