Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure which one is a better investment. Can they both preform near each other?

thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ratio wise...are desktops actually that much better though? I knew a desktop would preform better...but wouldn't a laptop be able to get around the same peak preformance?

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Depends what you want it for. The biggest difference between them at this time is that you can't get near the same caliber of video card into a laptop, so if you want to play games or do multimedia, a desktop is a better investment. If you just want to surf the net, watch clips etc. then a laptop is fine. You can get a far superior desktop for less than you would spend on a high end laptop.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...now i just need to know a general idea of where I'm going with computers. Thanks you guys.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
well you really only need a laptop if your in college. i dont know if you are, but youll want it for when you go away cause you can just pack it up, and when you come home you pack it up. youll also want to be able to lock it up somewhere so its not stolen. i have a desktop now, but im not going to keep it when i go to college.. im gonna sell it and get a laptop.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
laptops are if u wana go places and steal wireless internet ;)

if ur a gamer than get a desktop but laptops have the same performance excluding the video card, but its more expensive. thats how i figure it.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
i have a 3.2ghz laptop with a 64mb radeon 9700(mobility, had to download omega drivers to play doom3)

its sweet, but it was damned expensive, good thing it was my graduation gift, otherwise i prolly woulda gotten a desktop. if u can afford it go for a laptop, its very convenient

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
I agree, laptops are very convenient. I dont see how a desktop can perform more, (other than the fact that they can hold larger upgrades) but Im running an AMD Athalon 64 2.4 gig with 768mb ram and 64mb Geforce Nvidia video card and It works flawlessly for all sorts of games.

So yeah, they perform very well...but then again as dhill mentioned, they are very expensive. So its a price issue really. 700$ for a good tower, or 1200+ for a good laptop that you can take anywhere...your call.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
the thing i like about desktops is the ease of upgradeability... unless you know what ur doing laptops seem like they'd be a pain in the ass to work on, desktops ya just take it apart, and plug w/e in... plus you can customize desktops to look/perform however you want.. with certain cases, cooling systems, fans, etc... like thye said, games and such, go desktop, ease, and mobility, go with a laptop.. also the college issue, if ur in or soon to be in colloge, i'd lean towards a laptop, just because you'll be able to use it more.. whereas if you're younger, go desktop...

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Master of Paint said:
I but Im running an AMD Athalon 64 2.4 gig with 768mb ram and 64mb Geforce Nvidia video card and It works flawlessly for all sorts of games.
i have almost the exact same thing, except it uses an ATI card... it is awesome.
I couldn't play hl2 at max settings or anything, but at med/high 2x AA it ran remarkably well...

laptop all the way, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
as has been said it allll depends. personally i don't like to work on a laptop but i do like the convenience.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
You know whats wierd? I adapted to the flat keyboard on this laptop and can type really fast on it. When I'm at work though, I look retarted and always miss the buttons and crap...It used to be the other way around.

But regardless of what it is you choose, if your gonna be doing some gaming, go for the AMD Athalon 64 processor. The 2.4ghz amd is comparable to the Pentium4 3.4ghz, and in a gaming respect, it outdoes it.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
amd is much better for laptops, the amd 64 excells in mainstream apps and 64 bit apps as well as gaming. whereas intel is good for uber multitasking and video editing.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
laptop if you like mobility and dont have much space
desktop if you want upgradeable performance

·
Registered
347 Posts
they are really close in my oppinion, i like desktops a little more (don't know why) but the only real problem i see with laptops is like pearlsea said, you can steal someone's wireless internet, and it is easier to get hacked with a wireless thing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Master of Paint said:
but Im running an AMD Athalon 64 2.4 gig with 768mb ram and 64mb Geforce Nvidia video card and It works flawlessly for all sorts of games.
Ok, the processor is nice and that might be a lot of RAM for a laptop but its still on the low side nowdays. But there is no way a 64mb card is running any new games at decent details or resolutions.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
throwinpaint said:
Ok, the processor is nice and that might be a lot of RAM for a laptop but its still on the low side nowdays. But there is no way a 64mb card is running any new games at decent details or resolutions.

Wrong, I play BF 1942 on all high, and Unreal Tournament on around 90% highest settings, with no graphics lag whatsoever. Also, IL2 Sturmovik which is a very demanding flight sim on all highest settings with zero lockup.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts