Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently fully disassembled my ion and cleaned it. Upon reassembling and some minor tinkering with the regulator, i noticed something i had never seen before. It appears as if the gun is leaking some air from the gripframe upon firing. It does not leak - or not noticeably when not in use/pressurized without firing. Ive never noticed this before - and in attempting to isolate it i ended up stripping a banjo fitting. Quite a nuisance, but from other owners - is this normal/where could the air be coming from?

Thanks in advance.

·
Stripper Supporter
1,199 Posts
I recently fully disassembled my ion and cleaned it. Upon reassembling and some minor tinkering with the regulator, i noticed something i had never seen before. It appears as if the gun is leaking some air from the gripframe upon firing. It does not leak - or not noticeably when not in use/pressurized without firing. Ive never noticed this before - and in attempting to isolate it i ended up stripping a banjo fitting. Quite a nuisance, but from other owners - is this normal/where could the air be coming from?

Thanks in advance.
You might've tightened the banjo fittings too tight. I used to play with an Ion, and the rear banjo fitting may or may not have this problem. It seems to differ between guns. Also, make sure that little pad thing is still on top of your noid. I've noticed that this can make a difference too.

Did you strip the banjo fitting or the firing can?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Fitting only, although I can't seem to get the rest of the thread out of the can. Might have to solder something to it and slowly creep it out. Ugh, what a mess. I was supposed to play a game Monday -_-. In regards t the leak, it's likely I over tightened the fitting. How could that cause a leak though, and what pad on the solenoid?

Edit: yea the pad is still there albeit being a little worn away. Anyway I can make one out of some vinyl and glue it on? What function does it serve?

·
Stripper Supporter
1,199 Posts
Fitting only, although I can't seem to get the rest of the thread out of the can. Might have to solder something to it and slowly creep it out. Ugh, what a mess. I was supposed to play a game Monday -_-. In regards t the leak, it's likely I over tightened the fitting. How could that cause a leak though, and what pad on the solenoid?

Edit: yea the pad is still there albeit being a little worn away. Anyway I can make one out of some vinyl and glue it on? What function does it serve?
I think that the pad there helps the banjo fitting to line up properly when it is all installed. As for half the banjo being broken off in there, maybe take a screwdriver and be careful not to ruin the threads. Also, these new banjos can be hard to come by these days. I would suggest getting something other than an ion in the mean time. Save up about $200-250, and look for a used FEP Quest. I made this upgrade, and haven't played with my Ion since!

That being said, you can always look on ebay, pbnation, or MCB for ion parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think im going to get a whole nother swivel donut just to make sure the threads hold. Its also possible the solenoid was just releasing some excess pressure as i had fiddled with the vertical ASA regulator and only adjusted it by eye. The eye was reading just under 200 psi, which should not have been an issue, but is this a likely scenario? Ordering some replacement parts off ebay. An swivel donut, a superfly aluminum bolt, and a 5/32 banjo fitting.

·
Stripper Supporter
1,199 Posts
I think im going to get a whole nother swivel donut just to make sure the threads hold. Its also possible the solenoid was just releasing some excess pressure as i had fiddled with the vertical ASA regulator and only adjusted it by eye. The eye was reading just under 200 psi, which should not have been an issue, but is this a likely scenario? Ordering some replacement parts off ebay. An swivel donut, a superfly aluminum bolt, and a 5/32 banjo fitting.
I think that you can still get the donuts off of ansgear.com They're pretty good with their parts/equipment. That being said, you'll probably be able to find stuff on ebay. There are still a lot of parts out there for those guns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
after taking my ion apart for the first time i had this same problem, although once i redissasembled it i realized the oring in my reg was ripped and so was causing the air to leak out the grip frame

1 - 7 of 7 Posts