Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno if this should go in the music thread or not, if it should i'll delete this and repost.

So, today two friends asked me to write songs for their band... And, while this touched me that they like my stuff that much, I don't want to do it.

My songs represent a part of me. What are they going to mean if someone else sings them? So this gave me the idea, that I want to sing them. One small problem though.

I completley and utterly suck at singing.

This being said, does anybody have a any advice, or a program or something that works?

I've read up on it alot, and I know I know you can be trained to sing, nobody is born a singer. Oh yeah, and by the way... I want to be able to SING, not SCREAM. So, let me know if you've got any advice or anything

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ja289 said:
its not weird, look at robert hunter and tom marshall. my two favorite lyricists.

robert hunter wrote with jerry garcia basically every song by the grateful dead, and tom marshall and trey anastasio wrote most of phish's catalogue as well. and neither of them sang
It's not that I think it's weird, I know it happens and that alot of good artists have other people write their material. But I just don't want someone else to use something thats so intertwined with my experiences and thoughts. It doesn't mean anything to me, if a band uses material that they don't understand the reasoning behind.

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zues said:
Find someone who can sing.. and take voice lessons from them... It WILL help... trust me
everything i've read said that is a bad idea, because even if they know how to do it themselves doesn't mean they can teach it.

I read it was compared to walking up to Mike Vanerjact and asking him to teach you to kick field goals

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Most of Slayer's songs' lyrics aren't written by Tom Araya. If you really need to, just find someone comfortable singing what you wrote...most likely someone with a similar mindset to your own.

·
PBaholic #14
1,553 Posts
BlueShoxOnMyFee said:
everything i've read said that is a bad idea, because even if they know how to do it themselves doesn't mean they can teach it.

I read it was compared to walking up to Mike Vanerjact and asking him to teach you to kick field goals

Well believe it or not, the majority of singing requires you to be tought proper breath control, and singing in your "chest".. If you sing in your "throat" to long you WILL damage your voice..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts