Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so.. I work for a landscaping/construction company. Basically I do garden construction, walkways, padios (sp?), retaining walls... just **** like that.. lot of heavy rock work and moving large trees with tracktors and other machinery..

I end up doing a lot of the grunt work: filling wheelbarrows of soil, sand, a gravel, screenings, cobble stones.. and moving them around and excavation work.. cleaning off the trailers and loading them.. cut sod and removing the rolls ..basically all really physically demanding.

which isnt a big deal, since i like the exercise and have gotten a lot stronger, but its the heat and long days that are the death of me.. 11 hour days in july and august heat is death.. i end up drinking like 3L's of water a day.. like 120 ounces..

anyways.. i work balls off for this job and save it all for university..

now my gf works as a life guard for the city. she sits in a chair on the beach and watches.. then moves to another chair.. 20 mins in each.. and then takes a 40 min break in the beach house and does this 10-6... but the first hour they get paid to work out.. and if it gets to hot for them, they can jump in the water to cool down or go to the beach house and get a drink outta the fridge

today there was a decent thunder storm come through town.. rather than getting the day off, I shovelled Wheelbarrow after Wheelbarrow of mud and horse **** to regrade a sunken garden bed. I had to set up ramps to get down to the garden and get back up.. then had to finish grading it with bark mulch..

i ended up getting totally soaked for about 3 hours in pure down pour.. and then had to go on to another job yet..

I hadnt complained too much, i mean, i need the money..

but then i talk to my gf.. since it was lightning at the beach. they sat in the beach house and watched movies all day and got paid to do so.. by the city.. funded by my taxes.. i lost 12o bucks off my last pay check to taxes and other deductions.. what a ****ing piss off, my HARD earned money is paying them to watch movies

pointless rant i know, but lifes not fair

·
This Is Sparta!!!
1,824 Posts
i know what you mean, your girlfriend in this situation kind of reminds me of an illegal, mooching off of our tax dollars, when they don't even pay taxes, even tho she probably pays taxes, and she most likely not illegal

·
Registered
581 Posts
tell her, your taxes pay for an hour of two of her work...therefor she can pay for dates :dodgy: lol

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, and before anyone mentions something about welfare or social benefits.. thats totally different., I dont mind my money going towards feeding a family on the rocks.. but paying some one to watch movies and claim to be working bothers me.

·
Registered
581 Posts
yeah that woul dbe a little upsetting....does she get paid more than you too? she prob does...which will suck ever worse...become a lifegaurd with her..live the easy life

·
Registered
581 Posts
i cant get a job, i have to babysit little sisters 8 hours a day...but i dont have to pay gas and insurance...even trade i suppose, what yall think

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
yes but do you realize that she's in charge of lives? if she stops paying attenting at any given time a person could DIE. and you're telling me that's not a hard job? yours may be physical but the mental strain of being a lifeguard is absolutely increddible. Add that to the heat and I bet she's just as exausted as you are by the end of the day.

edit: what she gets 40 minute breaks and get to watch movies during storms? that's bull****!

I get to play people patrol and get soaked and cold during thunderstorms, not sit around and watch movies. 40 minute breaks are pushing too long. though I get a 30 minute break every 90 minutes

·
Registered
581 Posts
yeah...that wouldnt be as exhausting, but talk about boring...sitting there watching lil kids piss on themselvs in a pool for HOURS and hours sitting in the hawt sun.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Tell you what I'll switch you jobs smalls and after a week we'll see who's gone insane first.

and aboutt he pay you complain about. see lifeguards have job training. taking the lifeguard class isnt' cheap, and each year you gotta renew the CPR lisence. I'm sure you wouldn't know what to do is a duy passed out while working and wasn't breathing. We're trained to know exactly what to do in a situation like that. Each save a lifeguard has means some kids parents didn't loose a child. It's something very special.

Basically your work requires no lisence, no previous skill. To be a lifeguard you have to be trained and in the job world that means a higher payrate.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
just wait for the day that everybody in the pool is drowning at once and she comes home sobbing because she was unable to save half of them. then you'll think twice about your job being tough.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Puck3d Up said:
just wait for the day that everybody in the pool is drowning at once and she comes home sobbing because she was unable to save half of them. then you'll think twice about your job being tough.
that's pretty unlikley but if they ever do have a kid drown and have to have cpr or the kid dies you're gonna be really really realyl glad you wern't working as a lifeguard. I've had it happen and It shook me up bad.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
not me personally but it happend while i was there. I was the 3rd person there and i was running around getting stuff we needed. All it takes is 2 to do cpr and I had to get a bag-valve mask from the guard room (i'ts a bag connected to a pocket mask so instead of using your breaths you squeeze the bag. gives more oxygen than our lungs give) the people who arrived just after i did helped with crowd control (cuz idiots like to see dying kids i guess) After i got the bag-valve mask i don't remember much, it all became a big blur.

long story short a kid was facedown in the water, guard found him started doing cpr cuz he had no pulse. the guard ended up saving his life but I'm gonna be forever haunted by seeing a 6 year old kid with an entirely blue face having cpr done to him. I'm glad it wasn't me who found him, but if it was I'm confident I would have done what I could to save him.

And that's why I stick up so much for lifeguards.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts