Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
chicks dig scars baby!
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooo ive recently gotten a new computer...i mean this thing is like 2 months old. and i installed limewire to it aaand recently my comp's been real slow. just opening things, diff windows, and things like that. think its my limewire? know any good free antivirus things i could download? i have spy subtract, but i dont think that protects from viruses.

has your limewire slowed down your comp at all? mine used to not, but all of a sudden my comp's slow. i know their being sued, and kazaa kinda did the same thing once they started gettin sued it went to ****

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
sounds like you have been hacked or downloaded a virus, talk to your parents or get norton, its the best out .

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Or it could just be Windows related "slow down" that you will experience after a few months, no matter what.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
hmm i havnt had any problems either, do you use dial up?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Check how many people are uploading, check how much bandwidth you are allowing them to upload with, check how much bandwidth you've allowed yourself to download with.

I don't allow uploads and have the upload bandwidth at practically nothing just to be sure. I have unlimited bandwidth for downloading, but I only open Limewire when I want to download, and then shut it down.

-Jin

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Skate and Paint said:
oooo you mean its like uber fast cuz its brand new, but once you get your programs and **** on it just slows down inevitably (<<<haha! i spelled that right first try! :hug: )
Yeah. It's a number of other things, too, but usually as you pile crap into your computer everything slows down. Some of it has to do with the way Windows uses its registry and pagefile (much of it, it seems). Some of it has to do with fragmentation. The more you put into Windows the more bloated it becomes and, like you said, it inevitably slows down.

At this point I'm not sure any of this will help much, but here are the things I suggest.
Defragment your hard drive.
Uninstall all of the programs and utilities that you don't have use for.
Follow the directions here to delete/clear your pagefile on shutdown. In addition (probably not necessary) you can look up virtual memory optimization to expand upon this.

If none of that helps, then a format, fresh install, and then wise computer usage will do the trick. Also, do the pagefile regedit to a fresh install. And, if you need it, invest in a little bit more ram (if you're under 512).

·
Registered
995 Posts
yes, norton works quite well. Also try downloading some anti-virus stuff. Download Windows Defender (if you have windows), Spybot - Search and Destroy, Ad-Ware SE Personal. I run all of those, and my computer has never been better. I run a search on all of those, and it will always find something and will delete the problem. Its got me out of a lot of problems...

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
doublethreatguy said:
yes, norton works quite well. Also try downloading some anti-virus stuff. Download Windows Defender (if you have windows), Spybot - Search and Destroy, Ad-Ware SE Personal. I run all of those, and my computer has never been better. I run a search on all of those, and it will always find something and will delete the problem. Its got me out of a lot of problems...
norton does everything all those would do, and nice angry beaver i havent watched that show in ages.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Close out all the programs that you dont need. Alot of times stuff like limewire and other applications will still be running after you hit the x. See if the icon in the bottom right corner is there and close it. Also check Ctrl Alt Delete, processes and stop anything you arent using. If limewire is always running, it will slow down your pc

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts