Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help sorting through them. there are many, but I don't know which ones are "good" and which ones are "bad" since there are so many distros!

Any help would be so much of a blessing

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Question 1...are you already running Linux, or looking into it?

Question 2...what distros are you looking at?

I hate to be a "mainstreamer," (kind of tough in the linux world, though, honestly) but I'm going to go ahead and suggest Ubuntu. The reason for this is that the community and help for it is excellent, you can pretty easily run any desktop environment or window manager you like, and even though many people in a way scoff at it mostly only due to its popularity, it's still Linux. Just being popular doesn't mean it's any less true to Open Source or Linux philosophy or anything.

If you ARE already using it, though, I'm still going to say that the Ubuntu forums are great for help, no matter the distro. But if you're running Debian, Ubuntu, Mepis, or anything similar, it's probably actually the best place to go.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hehe, xubuntu caught my eye.

I'm just looking for a general guide to installing things etc. you know, basic tasks which I have no idea what I'm doing. I mean ****, I can't even install java

I've used kubuntu and ubunut on many different occasions, this would be my third time going at it, and I hope this time it will be cemented, and I'll become a "true user"

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok yee of little faith.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jinjiro said:
Oh wait, my bad. I just re-read your post and realized you meant installing Java in Linux. For some reason I thought you meant installing it in Windows.

:hug:

-Jin
even my grandmother can install java in windows ;)

I've tired Snaptic package manger, it didn't turn up any favorable results. the "dirty work" is where I get a little confuzzled.

edit: fun fact. NSA released its own version of linux

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Well, what are you trying to install? Is it a .deb? If it's not in the ubuntu repositories, your best bet is to look for a .deb package of whatever it is.

Also...do you have universe and multiverse made available in synaptic/apt-get? If not, it's likely that whatever is is is available after doing that.

If you haven't yet, sign up for the ubuntu forums...a lot of help available there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts