Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have SuSe 9.2, it sooooo different from the windows enviorment. i actually enjoy it. anyone else like it or dislike it?

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
it's FREE!!!!

however nobody knows hwoto use it unless they take the time to learn it. I've heard it's not too difficult though, I just never took the time (nor do i have a seperate hard drive that is big enough to put another OS on :()

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
linux pwns ass(as my avvy says, linux is piump). I love it personally. I recommend red hat linux or slackware(slack is a tad harder to get going though). if you just want to try out linux, go download knoppix and burn it to a cd. its a full linux operating system that runs off of a cd, no install needed. awesome stuff.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only real big thing i hate is i can't figure out how to install stuff. Other than that, its easy as pie to run. any links on help for that ? also, i didn't want to partition. is there a way to re-install it and wipe out windows?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
it can be a pain in the ass to install stuff on linux, i'll give it that much.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I got one called "ubuntu" from one of my freinds. It came with an install disk and a bootable disk. 3 weeks later my school laptop dies because windows wont start. Linux to the rescue! I booted to the disk, found my files and transfered them to my home computer for backup.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Installing is not that bad, its either an RPM or .SH file which SHs are pretty easy to handle to, the only thing that really takes much time is compiling your own versions either off of CVS trees or your own make file.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've used several linux distros over the past few years. The main one I've came fond to would be Slackware, but at the moment I'm running Vector Linux which is based off of Slackware.

As lbreevesii said download a live cd of a distro and their is hundreds of those out their to and learn it and go from their. Knoppix or Slax is what I would prefer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fedora Core is also good. I used it for awhile. It's based off of RH, but way better than RH.

Ohh Gentoo is good but, it can be a pain in the ass to install if your new to Linux.

For starters get something like MDK or Slackware and like I said before Live CDs are the bomb.

The only reason I use Windows for is for Gaming and I use Win2K Pro SP4.

I recieved my 200GB HDD today so I can do more testing now. Install Slackware 10 on it and get back into Development such as Programming and so forth.

Good luck to the guys that are new to Linux and if you need any help just ask.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts