Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
doe
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about trying out linux. I know nothing about it really, does anyone here use it? if so could you point me in the right direction? thanks

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
A handful of us use it. I just went with the ever growing Ubuntu and I know a few others have at least tried it out. So far it's been what I've stuck with, but I'll probably try out Arch Linux within the year. It has been my primary OS for about a year and a half.

·
doe
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do i install it like any other program or is there a special way i have to do it?

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
You don't install it like a program...you install it like an operating system. Have you ever installed windows before, or has it always just been pre-installed on your computer(s)?

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I'm going to suggest for now that you put trying it out on hold. Read up on it a bunch and actually get a grasp on what Linux really is, and then try it out. I wanted to try Linux almost 2 years before I finally did. I actually didn't because of my slow internet connection, but I spent my time on dial up reading a lot and becoming informed. I'm glad I waited, actually.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Doe, I can do even better then that for you. You want to try out Linux well I can send you Linux on a CD. you go? :eek:
Its true, I have various Linux's on CDs. ITs easily as pressing Enter and Linux is booted. If you are interested I can send you links where to get some.

·
doe
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea i tried putting it on a cd and running it from there... now i have to re-activate windows with the cd key which i lost

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
yea i tried putting it on a cd and running it from there... now i have to re-activate windows with the cd key which i lost
if windows came pre-installed, most likely the key is on the side/back of your computer case.

What distro were you using anyways? Regardless, Linux should have no way affected your Windows activation due to the fact that it can't modify the NTFS partition (unless you specify to do so and have the correct libs).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts