Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a pump gun, but I don't have the $$ for an expensive phantom. I was looking on E-bay and finding PMI tracers and other older pumps for around $50.

Are these worth buying or no? Thanks.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
The tracer and the maverick are supposed to be pretty good from what I've been told. I haven't handled one myself, though.

Tippmann SL-68 II's are pretty solid, as long as the body isn't cracked. The hopper and barrel attachments use a bolt that tightens the body around the parts. It works ok, but if someone starts cranking on it the body can crack.

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well i've got $75 right now to buy one, I havn't seen any pump tippmanns yet, but I'd probbly like those more anyway. I guess I'll have to wait and see if one comes up on the forum or e-bay.

·
Αdministrator
5,683 Posts
Well... It's TRACCER, for the record. It is also maverick, hornet, and other clones. They are all based on Nelsons, which are the spyders of pump, as in they have tons of clones.

A good price is around $40 or $50. They are rereleasing the maverick, the price will be around $100. Those will be brand new, with different upgrades.

Pump kits for tippmanns run around $80, I can get you a link to them if you want.

If you can get a little more money, you can get a direct feed, constant air phantom for around $150. They are very good, rarely break. Mike at CCI is very helpful, order one from him or wevopaintball.com.

Good luck, and welcome to pump.

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, well i'm not going to turn my 98 into a pump, (Spent to much money on it to make it go faster lol).

I might save up to the $150 phantom then, or the new Maverick sounds good. Where could i find that when it comes out and when does it come out.

·
Αdministrator
5,683 Posts
aqua_scummm said:
Jerry Sullivan is working on re-releasing the ACI Maverick. The Hornet will not be re-released. He currently has all the parts except the grip frame, IIRC. They will be distributed solely through Race Gun USA. Last I talked to him was the first week of may, and he said it was several weeks till it would be ready. Hopefully things are more on track than lapco. Currently, no changes to the design are planned. If demand is higher than expected, he will likely make some changes in later versions. I assume this means all parts will be backward compatible (I am assuming with the maverick deluxe). Price will be about the same as it was before.

To those of you who don't know what this means, there will soon be a nelson based gravity fed backbottle marker for about $100 new. It's more than half decent in quality, and is basically just a Trracer clone. It should get quite a few new people interested in pump, being it is so cheap.

You may have seen this on other forums, namely, SCP, Tinker's, and SpecOps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Budget

See the carter Buzzard post above. Has more details about winning a Buzzard on the Remember The Ronin web site. Cannot get much cheaper than this!

·
Registered
30 Posts
with propane you never have to worry about fuel ever one 16oz tank is good for over 50,000 shots, this is the cheap way in the long run

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
If you go with a tracer/maverick make sure they include the velocity adjustment tool, or have a removable barrel. Otherwise, they are extremely hard to adjust. Also, remember that most of these come with an M-16, or Eurogrip, so you have no way to mount anything bottomline without replacing the frame.

Edit- C3's go for about $160, for that much you can pick up a decent used phantom. It's defenitely not the cheapest way to play pump.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
But you'll have a pump gun that's...huge...by pump standards. And heavy compared to them as well. True, you don't have to buy air or 12 grams. But the gun is 3 times as expensive as the Traccer.

Small size and weight are some of the best advantages of pump markers.

Over a long enough timeline, the C3 will be cheaper. But that's if he uses it constantly and doesn't replace it with another gun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
im not saying its the prettyest or the lightest gun out their, their MAY be better guns out their,its just the cheapest in the long run all u gotta do is buy paint.

·
Αdministrator
5,683 Posts
Cheapest gun in pump? Doesn't really apply.

Any gun can go very cheap, 12 grams and stock feed tube. If you use a 3.5 ounce tank it's like $1 a fill, sometimes fields don't even charge.

If you want to use a C3 to go cheapest, you have to give up weight, profile, and good looks. It is much easier to just get a phantom and use it! It already is very like, small profile, and looks very awesome. Phantoms come with stock feed tubes and 12 gram changers. C3s you have to make your own feed tube, fit it some how, get a propane tank, fill it, then have a bulky set up. Even mavericks can be better. You can screw in a 12 gram changer right to the back on the gun and make an easy feed tube.

Not trying to be biased, it's just what makes sense to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts