Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
© 2006
1,831 Posts
shedding of the clothes is the shedding of civilization. The painting of the faces is to show how they mask their faces, to show how they change into more primal beings. The growth of the hair is to give the reader an idea of how long they have been stranded on the island.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Carmas said:
shedding of the clothes is the shedding of civilization. The painting of the faces is to show how they mask their faces, to show how they change into more primal beings. The growth of the hair is to give the reader an idea of how long they have been stranded on the island.
Bingo. Yea I believe that is correct.

D

·
0 Posts
the paint is a mask, to hide behind so.. i cant really remember.. but something about hiding behind it to justify what they were doing.. or something

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
OMFG I HATE THAT BOOK

i hate overanalyzing books. like, what if the author just wrote the book cuz he had a good story to tell? if i wrote a book and people overanalyzed it I'd be pissed, i wouldnt let them read it anymore

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Books are not meant to be analyzed, they are meant for enjoyment. What Carmas said sounds good to me, I read that book last year and we had to do the same thing. It was torture.

·
6,721 Posts
mavsfan31 said:
Books are not meant to be analyzed, they are meant for enjoyment.
truf. thats y i get so pissed at teachers asking "what does ___ represent?" it doesn't represent anything, it's a fuggin book just read the damn thing, say "that was good" or "that sucked" and move on

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Amen, you should see my teacher. She annotates on EVERY book she reads. If it's a library book, she uses sticky notes, and tapes them to the pages.

·
© 2006
1,831 Posts
zpyro said:
truf. thats y i get so pissed at teachers asking "what does ___ represent?" it doesn't represent anything, it's a fuggin book just read the damn thing, say "that was good" or "that sucked" and move on

wow you couldnt be more wrong. Lord of the flies has tons of symbolism, that was intentional. Sure plenty of books dont, but those arent the ones you analyze in class. The reason you over analyze these books in class is because of the deep, profound meanings that the authors slip into the lines, that add more meaning to the book than just words.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I know it has symbolism, I'm not saying it doesn't. I just don't wanna go in and do stupid tests just about the symbolsim. I do figure out in other books what the symbolism is just fine without the prodding of a teacher.

·
© 2006
1,831 Posts
yes, granted the teacher and lessons about it are slow, boring and rarely interesting, but teachers use the books as a method of teaching kids about literature, and writing techniques. Though iv hardly found it useful myself.
I found lord of the flies to be a great book when we read it, i took a lot of interest in it.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
zpyro said:
OMFG I HATE THAT BOOK

i hate overanalyzing books. like, what if the author just wrote the book cuz he had a good story to tell? if i wrote a book and people overanalyzed it I'd be pissed, i wouldnt let them read it anymore
novels like lord of the flies are considered literature because of that reason. theyre meant to be analyzed. if you honestly cant analyze something, it just shows something about how intellectual you are. but honestly, thats the idea of literature - it can be interpreted anyway you want it to.

·
6,721 Posts
ja289 said:
novels like lord of the flies are considered literature because of that reason. theyre meant to be analyzed. if you honestly cant analyze something, it just shows something about how intellectual you are. but honestly, thats the idea of literature - it can be interpreted anyway you want it to.
I could analyze it if I wanted to, but I don't because I don't read books to analyze them, I read them to enjoy them. now when the fk would I use this analyzation in real life? unless the boss writes cryptic memos or something, I think it'd be much better to keep teaching grammar and stuff like that. have you seen how bad people's grammar is, even AFTER graduating high school? using "your" instead of "you're", etc. and plenty of people don't even know how to READ higher than a 5th grade level. it's really quite sad. this is why i support the high school exit exam, that way you can differentiate between the valedictorian and the slacker pothead, cuz as of now they both get the same exact diploma, which is bull****.

I'd rather read books than literature :p

·
Registered
917 Posts
It's a great book. Granted, I never had to read it for class..

And the exit exam is so easy that if you are actually worried about it, I'm worried about you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts