Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I first purchased my Dangerous Power Threshold I was a bit confused because my manual said that I couldn't use regular marker oil. It stated that I was required to use Dow 55 lubricant. The 55 stands for the viscosity of the lubricant. For those of you who who don't know viscosity is kind of like the thickness of the lubricant. Anyways as I was saying when I looked for that kind of lube I couldn't find it so I called Dangerous Power and they said that you can use the SL33K lube by smart parts as long as you clean your gun often and you can use oil in the R.A.P.S if you only use like one drop.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Hatersauce.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Or any other quality lubricant. As long as it's not adversely affected by temps (marmalade is VERY bad in cold weather), they're all close to being as good as one another. Most people simply use Dow33 because that's what a majority of MAJOR manufacturers recommend (Smart Parts, Dye, Planet Eclipse, others), and it's often the easiest to find, and can often be found less expensively than others, since it's manufactured in serious bulk.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I boguht one of the medium tubs of hatersauce, they say it lasts like 6 months but I have had it ever since the V2 formula came out(around 2 years ago, my memory of that far back is shot) and am barely halfway through the tub.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
I usually end up Buying sl33k because that's all the stores I've went to in MD carry, and I'm not paying $5 shipping on a $5 tub of lube, which makes Hater double the price of Sl33k. I have used Hater in the past when I was over friends house playing, can't see a difference in performance myself. I do know a lot of people like to use Hater or Marmalade when doing pictures of how to lube a gun due to it's coloration showing up MUCH better than dow33/55.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I paid 16 bucks for that tube that has lasted me 2 years, I bought sleek when I had an Ion AGES ago and the tube would last me around 2 or so and I'd pay around 11(can't remember exactly, memory of that time is shotty). I still have an almost full tube of sl33k as well and a trial thingy of V1 hater, though I don't touch them.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Never used it before lol.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
nowadays, that's not surprising. Only guns that would recommend it are cockers, mags, and blowbacks. And ecockers are questionable if you should use it in them. Although a lot of DP guys do use it. I know many do Dow33+gold cup instead of Dow55+tri-flow that DP recommends but is MUCH harder to find.

As noone local carries Dow55 in-store, I actually did break down and order a thing of Dow55 online for my Bobby and my G3 (and any future Dow55'ers that I get), since I assume that there's a REASON they recommend using a lube that swells orings in their guns. I used to always say it was because of Bobs EXTREMELY bad tolerances and poor QC, but Gen5 Timmies and the Marq line no longer suffer from this issue that I've seen, but Bob still recommends it.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I remember me and my cousin going through pages upon pages of PBN threads and looking through EVERY online tore we could find through Google etc just to find some Dow55 for his NME.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Yeah, only lubricant that I know of in paintball that is DESIGNED to swell orings. One of the easy "band-aids" though for onfield quick fixes of leaking guns if you actually do carry it. Won't last, but can help eliminate minor leaks temporarily.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Honestly Whenever I have a leak from an O-ring I just lube it with my everyday lube(hatersauce) and bamf it's gone, happened when I got my mini right outta the package.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
I don't think so.

It's possible that a swolen o-ring could cause too much friction in a gun with tight tolerance, and have adverse affects on o-ring life and efficiency.

SL33K is pretty good, but it breaks down after a while? idk how to say it, but it just goes away too quickly.
I'm realy tempted to get either TechT Gun Sav or HaterSauce, since they're apparently better.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
spool valves are just REALLY brutal on lubricant, and go through it faster. Always been that way that I've seen. Not that lube is expensive, but that's the reason spoolies are considered high maintenance...use them a day or 2, and the orings will be almost devoid of lubricant.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
That's how all Ion platform guns are, my PMR was pretty good on it though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts