Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm studying Int. Econ. for a final, and I'm looking at this thing called the Gini Index, which measures income equality for a country (o=perfectly equal, 100=perfectly unequal) and the US actually beat China (40.8 to 44.7) in income equality. Oh the irony.

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
USA, USA, USA!

What's the most "equal" country?
I'm going to go withhhh... cuba 'cause it is communist so everybody is equal, right? :dodgy:

actaully, I'll say either a very undeveloped African country as they have no means of income so everybody is equally "well-off" or Canada or France (universal health care FTW in this case...:hug: )

Also, I wonder how its calculated? If its a raw mean of income then I see some problems. Example: Any poor pacific island/coastal country. Vietnam! Millions of poor people, but there are also many very rich playa's chillin there. So it may average out... but its not equal at all! :eek:

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Norway and Denmark were about the most equal nations out of Developed countries. Most of the other more equal states were actually from Eastern Europe, which I thought was interesting. Nambia, was the least equal (actually, a lot of africa was pretty high). And finally Cuba, no info available on the ol' Cuba.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh, China is "communist" where worker equality should be stressed, but instead, they have a wider gap between rich & poor than the US.

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
oh, China is "communist" where worker equality should be stressed, but instead, they have a wider gap between rich & poor than the US.
Ah. I figured it had to do with them being communist, but I was focused on the reality of China's communism so I missed it.

But yes that is rather good...I may have to include this in my next paper on communism (whenever that may be...)

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
I am currently researching one now, I'm writing 7 pages by 1/2/08.

I can use this to prove the USA is more communist than China haha
No, it just proves that there is less of a class seperation. Which makes sense because giving equal opportunity and equal rights but not guaranteeing the same result (giving everyone equal share no matter how hard they work) is very central to our country.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Makes sense. In china there is a distinct class of uber wealthy entrepreneurs/squatters/speculators. Everyone else is poor.

Norway/Denmark makes sense, seeing as they distribute income so much. They have some of the highest tax rates in the world, if not the highest. The more you tax, the less separation there is of classes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts