Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having major internet problems on this comp (in my room). It's like the internet only connects after you hit Refresh a bunch of times and keep on clicking the link. I have cable, too. I get those Page Cannot Be Displayed errors CONSTANTLY, and at the bottom it says DNS Error. Oh yeah, it gives you a list of things to checked, and I checked them all, and it still won't work.

I've tried:
-Restarting many times
-Running Norton AntiVirus
-Running AdAware
-Running Scan Disk
-Running Defrag
-Running Stinger
-Reinstalling IE6

NOTHING has worked! Any suggestions is appreciated, because I may be forced to reformat. Oh yeah, AIM is also affected by this, and I can only log on after many repeated attempts. Once it connects it's fine for a bit, but then it goes out again. The downstairs comp is fine...This all started yesterday, btw. I wonder if the router is messed up?

Well, on top of any help, I'd just like to say if you don't see me posting I didn't die, I'm just throwing my computer down the stairs. =(

~Jinjiro

*Edit* I got one of those stupid error pages when I hit Submit New Thread, and to post I had to constantly hit Submit New Thread until it went threw. :mad: *Edit*

*Edit #2* I forgot to mention, most pictures have stopped working as well. It seems like only things stored in Cookies works semi-well, everything else is a pain.

·
Registered
390 Posts
you might have changed IP adresses... type in IPconfig in run, that happens all the time with my cable.. sry i didnt read ur entire post, but that may be the problem

Edit- after rereading what u wrote it looks like its an IP problem. if you have XP go to network connections, hit repair, if that doesnt work then go to run and ipconfig like i said

·
PbF Administrator
3,361 Posts
RAIAplayer said:
you might have changed IP adresses... type in IPconfig in run, that happens all the time with my cable.. sry i didnt read ur entire post, but that may be the problem

Edit- after rereading what u wrote it looks like its an IP problem. if you have XP go to network connections, hit repair, if that doesnt work then go to run and ipconfig like i said
Yea try the second part of that.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
do you use a router? if it is far away, all of the signal may not be coming in strong enough

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
mines a piece of **** have the time the rest its good
i have no idea why
we called the compay like 10 times and they dont listen to us we do the same **** everytime

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
b_heald said:
do u have dial up?
i have cable and its slower then dial up sometimes
if you have xp, right click on the 2 comp. icon on the bottom right, got to view available...., then click advanced, click the general tab, click configure, click the advanced tab, go to transmit rate, and lower it.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my friend who's dad works with comps told me to try uninstalling my network stuff, then reinstalling it. Whoops, I forgot I didn't have the Win98 disk that has some of the needed files to reinstall. So, I was now fully off line.

So yesterday (Monday), my friend Justin invites me over and tells me to bring my comp so we can try to fix it. Justin, his brother Dylan (who knows almost everything about comps) and I spend 5+ hours trying to fix my uber messed up comp. Dylan tells me Win98 is having major issues, and he can't fix it. So, I moved a few important files over to Justin's comp for saving, and then installed XP. By this time it was 3 A.M. So we get XP installed, and luckily, (because we didn't format, I guess) all my files were still here.

SO, everything is now working.

~Jinjiro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts