Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me start by saying i have no musical experience WHAT SO EVER past 4th grade music. Now the story starts.

I joined the marching band my junior year of highschool because alot of my friends were in it. I volunteered as an equipment mover (the only one at the time, of which were in HUGE demand). I got pretty friendly with the band director, who is an AWESOME guy, and him and my girl friend coaxed me into joining pit percussion in my senior year. We play non-marching instruments. IE, easy stuff.

Well, its almost 2 months into band... and me, with no musical experience, learned my parts and was all set. Had my first two performances and they were generally flawless. However... a twist happened.

Our freshman who was marching bass drum #1 cant play anymore, his back is like.. destroyed. Hes a tiny kid.

So... this led to me being promoted... to the new marching bass drum. Our first competition is on friday. I have yet to march the drill once. Let alone play the music. I got it like yesterday. Now im two months behind the rest of the band, and im learning music for the first time still... !!!! Talk about overload.

Anyway, any other band geeks out there!!

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
As a trumpet player, our drills aren't very hard... We have a relatively light instrument and are generally marching at the front of the band. I don't know what it's like to crab-walk with a 40-pound chunk of fiberglass and metal strapped to your chest, though.

·
look LOOK ! ha you looked
705 Posts
DayoftheGreek said:
First off, let me start by saying i have no musical experience WHAT SO EVER past 4th grade music. Now the story starts.

I joined the marching band my junior year of highschool because alot of my friends were in it. I volunteered as an equipment mover (the only one at the time, of which were in HUGE demand). I got pretty friendly with the band director, who is an AWESOME guy, and him and my girl friend coaxed me into joining pit percussion in my senior year. We play non-marching instruments. IE, easy stuff.

Well, its almost 2 months into band... and me, with no musical experience, learned my parts and was all set. Had my first two performances and they were generally flawless. However... a twist happened.

Our freshman who was marching bass drum #1 cant play anymore, his back is like.. destroyed. Hes a tiny kid.

So... this led to me being promoted... to the new marching bass drum. Our first competition is on friday. I have yet to march the drill once. Let alone play the music. I got it like yesterday. Now im two months behind the rest of the band, and im learning music for the first time still... !!!! Talk about overload.

Anyway, any other band geeks out there!!
if you need to learn so much that quickly just write it all on a stickey note a stick it to the guy ahead of you in the band.

·
PBF's oldest newb
1,618 Posts
PizzaMiLiTiA said:
As a trumpet player, our drills aren't very hard... We have a relatively light instrument and are generally marching at the front of the band. I don't know what it's like to crab-walk with a 40-pound chunk of fiberglass and metal strapped to your chest, though.
w00t trumpets

anyways, yeah, you should be ok once you learn the drill. the music wont be hard for bass drum, we always used to grab people, sometimes mid-season, and stick them on there if the drumline wasnt good/loud enough. you know what they say, if they cant play an instrument take it away, give em two sticks and make em a drummer, if they cant do that take away one stick and make em a conductor.

ps, my alma mater marching band just won they're first competition by 7/10's of a point. congrats to them

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the stuff doesnt look THAT difficult but its very imtidating to me, having never played music before.

But yeah, our band is kinda.. really good.

We won the state and all states competitions my sophomore years. Since then however, we've gone up a group (2A now?) and we placed in the top half BARELY last year. This year we'll see what goes down.

·
Registered
246 Posts
snare drum all the way baby yea flat Rock Bando

·
pink floyd>you
2,084 Posts
I'm a sax in the dublin coffman high school marching band. We just had our first contest last saturday. We got 1/16th in every event. Our whole school is filled with trophies hehe.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
tuba.

dont worry about the drills, just follow the drum in front of you, basically you all usually make a line/arc the whole time. concentrate on the music, i hate sucky bass drum players.

"id rather you deliver notes than march suck"
~Mr Withrow, the man who taught us to talk good.

·
pink floyd>you
2,084 Posts
janiboy088 said:
alto sax...assistant section leader

this is my second year w00t
don't you guys just have 1 section leader and like 4 squad leaders?

I would play in the drum line next year but im the only person in line for section head for the saxes so i gotta stay.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No1TubaPlayer said:
tuba.

dont worry about the drills, just follow the drum in front of you, basically you all usually make a line/arc the whole time. concentrate on the music, i hate sucky bass drum players.

"id rather you deliver notes than march suck"
~Mr Withrow, the man who taught us to talk good.

Yeah, the drill is really easy.. only problem is im on bass 1... so everyone follows me, sometimes the quads lead though. You are so right btw. All i did was lines and arcs for three songs. One song i knew caus we practiced it (a newer one) and the other two i just completely BS'es and managed to keep ok looking.

·
PBaholic #14
1,553 Posts
[QUOTE='ME]if you need to learn so much that quickly just write it all on a stickey note a stick it to the guy ahead of you in the band.[/QUOTE]

We did that in chorus, we (bass) hadnt bothered to learn any of the music so unbenounced to the instructor we printed off copys of the words in our song and taped them to the person in front of ours back thumup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
bass drum here

it doesnt look hard, but we have some challenging parts, maybe its only use though

rockin the doors music this year :hug:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts