Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my dog is at the vet. It doesn't look good. She stopped eating on Monday, and has just been laying around. The vet came once, and thought that she was just in pain due to her prescription running out. But even after forcing her a few pills she just continued to not move, not eat, and barely drink.

They did some blood work and it looks like it's something similar to dog leukemia. Her red blood cell count is way low, and the vet thinks her body is attacking itself. She's got kidney and liver damage, and is jaundiced. I'm pretty sure we're going to put her down today, which is pretty sad. She's the only dog I've ever had, and I got her when I was 8 :)eek:), so she's getting old. I begged and begged for a dog when I was young....:rolleyes:

Just figured I'd vent. I know a lot of you have been through this - it just sucks.

-Jin

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
That really sucks bro, I'm sorry. I've had to put down some wonderful animals in the past few years. It's sad, but death is inevitable and it helps to think that they won't be suffering any more. On the bright side, it's a good opportunity to get a new puppy and have another faithful companion for the next 10-15 years.

·
0 Posts
Dude my condolences. I remember when my first dog died, i was 5 when we got her, didn't put her down as she died on us first, wasn't easy but we moved on. My second dog is getting old and time draws nearer as she's also getting hit hard by age. I feel your pain, sorry man.

D

·
0 Posts
****ty buzz man. I've been more disturbed by the loss of some pets than people. It's tough.

·
Pointless thread poster
576 Posts
On the bright side, it's a good opportunity to get a new puppy and have another faithful companion for the next 10-15 years.
You cant replace yo dog man, it just doesnt fell right when you wake up with a different dog instead of your other one...

Any way, Jin, i know what your going through. I had to put my hamster down. It sucked, she had a tumor AND cancer so... ya, sorry about your dog but theres always a chance she/he will start eating and maybe the body will stop fighting itself.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Im sorry dude, I know what yor going through, though my dog died suddenly and we didnt put him down, I know how it feels. Its amazing how attatched we can get to something thats never said a word to us.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We did go ahead and put her down, but it was definitely the right thing to do. She has always been terrible with vets - a real fighter. When the vet gave her the injection, though, she didn't even growl or flash her teeth. It was just her time to go. My parents and I were there to comfort her, so it was a fairly nice way to go out.

I just got done bashing out my frustration at roller hockey, and I'm feeling better about it (at the moment). Now I just have to get through a 10 hour shift at work while I've been up since 1:30PM and only got 3.5 hours of sleep. :hug:

-Jin

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
i feel you man. I just realized my dog is almost nine. He has two torn ACL's, bad hips and he's slow getting up already, perfectly healthy but if he sleeps wrong he limps the whole day. I can't imagine the day i put him down he's my buddy. I've had him since 5th grade.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i feel you man. I just realized my dog is almost nine. He has two torn ACL's, bad hips and he's slow getting up already, perfectly healthy but if he sleeps wrong he limps the whole day. I can't imagine the day i put him down he's my buddy. I've had him since 5th grade.
See about getting a prescription for Zubrin from your vet, especially if it's a breed that has a history of joint problems (German Shepherds, Labs, etc). My dog was the same way, to the point where she'd fall down and not be able to get up. After putting her on Zubrin though, it was like she was 3 years younger. She even chased squirrels/rabbits again. It's expensive, but worth it.

-Jin

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
I'm not one to believe in the afterlife but if anything could push me towards religion it would be the promise of seeing animals one again that I have loved far more than any person.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."
Mark Twain

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
See about getting a prescription for Zubrin from your vet, especially if it's a breed that has a history of joint problems (German Shepherds, Labs, etc). My dog was the same way, to the point where she'd fall down and not be able to get up. After putting her on Zubrin though, it was like she was 3 years younger. She even chased squirrels/rabbits again. It's expensive, but worth it.

-Jin
I'll look into that, they have him on something but it doesn't seem to help much at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Putting down my childhood dog absolutely sucked. I told my mother and sisters (dad's a merchant marine) that I'd take her to the vet :( Probably one of the saddest days of my (barely) adult life.

·
Don't mess wit da Force
563 Posts
That is sad to hear Jin. I just found out my 10 year old Golden has Lymphoma a week ago. I've had him since I was 10. We are going to put him on meds for a couple months to make his life more enjoyable until the end. Hang in there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts