Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys here's the deal, I just got my first car. It's a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant. The car is nice for a first car, but I want a few things to make it better, but not riced-out. It's a four cylinder so it doesn't have very much power. For example it can barely make it up the driveway, which is flatter than Paris Hilton. Just kidding, I think all good posts have a Paris Hilton joke in them so I didn't think this would be any different. The car is really slow however, my mom drives a minivan with better acceleration than this car.

I don't know anything about cars so I was wondering the best way to squeeze a little horsepower out of this beast (to be). I decided to check the internet and the only performance parts I could find were lowering springs, some "sketchy module things," an Injen air intake, mufflers, brakes and other things that are availible for most cars.

The first problem I plan on addressing is the rims. They are really crappy. There is a plasic hubcap covering rust, and the rest of the car is shiny and nice. I am not to familiar with brands so some names of good one that aren't to expensive is appreciated.

The car sounds really weak when I rev it what will give me some roar.

Last is the system what do I need to get that thump.

Too much reading?

1. Performance parts for a Galant that give results with easy installation and low cost.

2. Good inexpensive rims that aren't to flashy.

3. Give engine some roar.

4. Sound system things I need.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
Sounds like this is going to be your daily driver...in all honesty, it's not worth the money to add performance parts to a car like that. After you spend close to, or over $1,000 on an intake, full exhaust, plug wires and plugs, computer chip, just to name a few simple bolt ons, you will maybe add on 20-30hp to your current 145. That's really not enough to really feel or get alot of satisfaction out of, and when all is said and done, you are going to regret dumping that money into the car. If I were you, I would stick to the rims and system, and that's it, or, save that money towards a car that you can actually get some power out of.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If it has the 4G64 engine, then the best way to go would be turbo, but it isnt cheap. Tearstone makes a turbo kit for the 4G64, and it costs about $3500 for the intercooled basic turbo kit, and $4500 for the enhanced turbo kit. If you go turbo, you will need a high stall torque converter such as the rezlo, and a transmission fluid cooler. That is assuming you are automatic. If your a manual, then a better clutch such as the ACT stage 2 should be fine. You can expect up to 300whp at 13psi out of your engine. Anything higher than 13psi, and you will need to upgrade your pistons. JE, Ripp Mods, Weisco, and a few others are available.

Now if you dont want to spend that much, then I suggest getting a quality header such as the CMF header, a cold air intake, High stall torque converter (if you are auto), RPM Camshaft, exhaust, and a SAFC-II. After all that with the proper tune, you can expect to see up to a 50 whp gain. I know its not much, but that is pretty much the best you can do from a NA 4-clyinder. The best route without a doubt would be to go turbo if you are seeking alot of power.

As far as rims go, some cheap yet good quality brands I recommend are Enkei and Konig. I would buy 17's and get a nice set of performance tires to go with them.

After that, I suggest maybe dropping it an inch or so, and getting tint. Then detail the hell out of the car and get it looking real smooth.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
Master of Paint said:
Sounds like this is going to be your daily driver...in all honesty, it's not worth the money to add performance parts to a car like that. After you spend close to, or over $1,000 on an intake, full exhaust, plug wires and plugs, computer chip, just to name a few simple bolt ons, you will maybe add on 20-30hp to your current 145. That's really not enough to really feel or get alot of satisfaction out of, and when all is said and done, you are going to regret dumping that money into the car. If I were you, I would stick to the rims and system, and that's it, or, save that money towards a car that you can actually get some power out of.
i concur

1 - 4 of 4 Posts